What gives physical + mental energy? What costs energy?

Cyril Haearn

What gives physical + mental energy? What costs energy?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 26 Feb 2020, 10:43am

Energy, physical and mental I mean, not electricity and the like

I often ask myself this question and do not really have an answer. But just now (again and again) I find rest and change restore energy

More comments please, might add a poll later
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 26 Feb 2020, 4:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Yvonned

Re: What gives energy? What costs energy?

Postby Yvonned » 26 Feb 2020, 11:19am

I gain the different types of energy from various activities although I guess they all feed into one. Emotional and mental energy comes from silence and meditation which then feeds into physical energy.

Watching the Welsh rugby team play creates massive adrenaline for me also!

I listen to motivational speakers on YouTube when I need the extra buzz. Reading similar is helpful too.

Sometimes just overriding the lazy procrastinator mind to get out on my bike or get on the turbo is enough to stir up the energy.

Hatha yoga settles me and I find I can go on longer once I just get on the mat.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Feb 2020, 11:34am

Anything can be turned into energy,it's energy use that matters.
Similarly so with energy cost,and whether it's worth the expentidure.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

fullupandslowingdown

Postby fullupandslowingdown » 26 Feb 2020, 3:59pm

We're a complex system of interlocking energy transfer mechanisms. A fault in any one part causes tiredness. I suspect that the final transfer station AKA the Mitochondria. I also suspect that the Atkin's supporters have good reason to dislike sugar. Human evolution takes a longer time than covid-19 to shape shift... Our diet has only been carbohydrate rich in the last few generations. We used to exist on a much higher proportion of fat than carbs. It's logical that our mitochondria are designed for the long term use of fat. Carbs may give us an energy boost, but how long would a car engine last if you used the nitro boost on all the time?

The current health epidemic with obesity being the obvious symptom, is I believe due to an unholy trinity.
In modern life a lot of us feel more stressed most of the time due to work pressures, relationship difficulties, uncertainty, money issues etc etc etc.
We eat poorly despite mostly having more money for food, our diets are sugar laden with various E numbers and manufactured "things"
And lastly, we're not getting the quality of sleep we need. We're working nights, we're been woken by traffic noise and neighbours. We're short of time.

When we feel tired, whats the first thing many of us do, if we know we have to carry on regardless? We eat something that gives us an energy boost.
And that's something with sugar.

We're burning out our bodies. Type 2 diabetes is usually caused when the pancreas starts to stutter and fail to produce ever increasing amounts of insulin needed to push sugar into cells for energy transfer. We need that increasing amount of insulin because the cells become poisoned by the continuous flow of sugar. Without insulin, sugar can't be properly processed. The body senses when sugar levels are high and tries to pump out ore insulin so the sugar level falls, because the body knows that having high sugar levels in the blood results in damage to the body. Hence diabetics developing circulation problems, damage to kidneys and eyes, and nerves and eventual blindness and limb amputation.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 26 Feb 2020, 4:07pm

Right again fullup, reminds me of an article by Wolfgang Schmidbauer, a defining moment was when external energy (coal, oil) was introduced instead of wood, water, windmill power etc, that led to many societal changes
Routine, plan, system, structure help, eating properly, porridge, lentil soup

Or just getting up and walking or cycling, gets the blood moving at the first pedal stroke, not sitting around thinking too much as noted on my mental health thread. Planning more long cycle rides soon, takes me about 30 km to warm up

Wearing the right clothes when cycling is important to regulate body temperature, and knowing when to give up :wink:
Planned an all-day ride in winter once, took plenty of food but I had eaten it all after 30 km, did the right thing for once, turned back

Mental and physical energy have a lot to do with each other I think
Thread title upgraded
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 4 Mar 2020, 4:52pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 26 Feb 2020, 4:13pm

fullupandslowingdown wrote:Our diet has only been carbohydrate rich in the last few generations.

There's been a big increase in sugar consumption. But as far as we know early hominins ate a lot of carbohydrate, but mostly starchy.

fullupandslowingdown wrote:... because the body knows that having high sugar levels in the blood results in damage to the body.

What does that mean? How does the body "know" that? Is the "knowledge" neural or hormonal or genetic or... ?

Jonathan

Cyril Haearn

Re: What gives physical + mental energy? What costs energy?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 26 Feb 2020, 4:17pm

'Natural' tribes had/have quite different diets, Inuit: mostly meat and fish
Others eat a lot of plant material

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 1 Mar 2020, 8:44pm

Being outside at my allotment or cycling; a few days solo touring (camping) especially restorative.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Mar 2020, 4:50pm

Sometimes one is mentally alert but physically tired, usually the two go together but not always
Sometimes I find my energy rising as soon as I take my first spoon of porridge, before the food has even reached my stomach
Just standing up and deciding to go out often works too

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 4 Mar 2020, 5:16pm

I often feel a bit low on energy to the point of not feeling up to going out on the bike. But I persevere and 99.9% of the time, i'll be energized after just a few minutes riding and such rides have often ended up both longer and faster than I had originally intended (6-7 hours, 100 miles plus!) I've no idea of the mechanism for this state of affairs, it doesn't seem related to diet, sleep pattern or enthusiasm for the ride. :shock:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 6 Mar 2020, 4:51pm

Being active is the thing, went cycling this morning, then busy at home, got an event this evening, walking there, not cycling :wink:
Sometimes one feels tired for no apparent reason, I dinnae mind that, I just go to bed, zzzzz

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 1 May 2020, 5:43pm

Retired is great, one may sleep afternoons
Just slept 20 minutes today, then I had enough energy and concentration to read. In bed of course

peetee

Postby peetee » 1 May 2020, 11:13pm

My mental faculties are stimulated by exercise and my motivation for exercise is created through enthusiasm and positive thought. While rest is a restorative too it is a fine line between helpful time out and lethargy. Mind and body benefit each other in a , ‘scuse the pun, cycle.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.