Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Energy drinks?

Never tried one yet
5
23%
Would never try one
1
5%
Once only, never again
3
14%
Occasionally
2
9%
Regularly when cycling
3
14%
Regularly when doing other sports
0
No votes
Regularly at home
0
No votes
I make my own
1
5%
Prefer coffee or tea
6
27%
Prefer other (what?)
1
5%
 
Total votes: 22

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13795
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 19 Apr 2020, 8:54am

I see a lot of discarded empty 'taurus rouge' cans while cycling, never tried it myself (it does smell interesting), for energy I eat porridge sandwiches, dried fruit, oatcakes, I drink water and juice, eat biscuits or chocolate if I run out of energy on a ride

Some energy drinks are not recommended for young people, in some countries sale of energy drinks is restricted, why?

Have you tried energy drinks, do you take them regularly? Are they used a lot by sportspersons, or more by youngpersons trying to keep alert on a night out, or when driving (-1)?

Drinking more than one can is not advised, but I did see a big can once (500 ml?)

I guess coffee is an old-fashioned energy drink

You have one vote, it may be changed
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

Jdsk
Posts: 1342
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby Jdsk » 19 Apr 2020, 10:42am

Some energy drinks are not recommended for young people, in some countries sale of energy drinks is restricted, why?

Is that because of restrictions and taxes on sugary drinks, and the big overlap between them?

The risk there is long-term. There's also a short-term problem caused by over hydration and hyponatraemia because of fear of dehydration. That's exploited by manufacturers.

“Striking lack of evidence” to back up claims for popular sports brands
[url]https://www.bmj.com/press-releases/2012/07/18/“striking-lack-evidence”-back-claims-popular-sports-brands[/url]

The truth about sports drinks
https://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e4737

Jonathan

(Why isn't the first URL hyperlinked?)

ANTONISH
Posts: 1835
Joined: 26 Mar 2009, 9:49am

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby ANTONISH » 19 Apr 2020, 4:14pm

Some years ago when I was riding more and longer audax events I would sometimes drink a can of red bull which seemed to give some sort of a boost.
It contains caffeine and something called taurene? - not sure if I've spelt that correctly.

On two occasions I poured part of the can into my water bottle. Both times the bottle retained the smell of the red bull.
I threw the bottles away and I don't drink this stuff any more .

I try to avoid anything with sugar now as well - just zero tabs or something similar.

For instant energy which would be down to not eating enough to keep up my energy levels I carry a couple of "pate de fruit" which I buy when I'm in France. I suppose large fruit pastilles would do as well.

Jdsk
Posts: 1342
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby Jdsk » 19 Apr 2020, 4:17pm


TonySJ
Posts: 3
Joined: 24 Feb 2020, 8:16pm

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby TonySJ » 19 Apr 2020, 4:59pm

To be honest I dont buy any as I once read they are mainly just sugars with a pinch of salt so I make my own.

700ml bottle gets 49grams of sugar, pinch of salt and a splash of cordial/squash to taste.

Same as my flapjack bars/energy bars. Home made from British Cycling I think. Oats, seeds ( pumpkin, sunflower, chia, linseed, ) Almonds, raisins, dates, dark brown sugar, sunflower oil, Golden Syrup, peanut butter.

T

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4998
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby foxyrider » 20 Apr 2020, 1:53pm

i tried a freebie can of RB a couple of years back - it was so sickly i gave up after two mouthfuls. :roll: :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

ANTONISH
Posts: 1835
Joined: 26 Mar 2009, 9:49am

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby ANTONISH » 20 Apr 2020, 4:15pm

Jdsk wrote:"Taurine"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine

Jonathan


Thanks for that - I wonder if it's a good thing in large doses - as it seems to be in "energy drinks".
Presumably it's responsible for the off odour of my drinking bottles.

As for home made drinks with sugar I don't think that is a good idea - obviously cheaper but just as bad as commercial energy drinks.
Sugar in solution is harmful to the teeth as has been found by a number of athletes.
Generally unless you are racing, your energy needs are better met by solid foods eaten in a timely manner to maintain energy levels.
I'll only take sugar in extremis hence carrying, but not necessarily consuming "pate de fruit".

oldun
Posts: 37
Joined: 6 Jun 2016, 8:10am

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby oldun » 20 Apr 2020, 5:00pm

For instant energy which would be down to not eating enough to keep up my energy levels I carry a couple of "pate de fruit" which I buy when I'm in France. I suppose large fruit pastilles would do as well.[/quote]

Yes ASTONISH, i always carry a couple the "pate de fruit" bars . I buy mine at Decathlon online in the U K and from stores on the continent when i am there.

whoof
Posts: 2365
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby whoof » 20 Apr 2020, 5:10pm

My answer didn't fit any of your choices. I used to use them when racing but don't do either any longer. They weren't in tins but powdered and made up with water. No caffeine just a mixture of carbohydrates both quick and slower release. Probably not that healthy in large amounts I might have had about 20 litres a year. Start a race with one bottle of water and another of energy drink.
Now I eat standard food, fish and chips or an all day breakfast mid-ride is quite usual in a long ride and drink water whilst riding and tea when stopped.

Jdsk
Posts: 1342
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby Jdsk » 20 Apr 2020, 5:24pm

ANTONISH wrote:[Presumably it's (taurine) responsible for the off odour of my drinking bottles.

Sorry, I don't know.

Jonathan

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4998
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby foxyrider » 20 Apr 2020, 9:12pm

whoof wrote:My answer didn't fit any of your choices. I used to use them when racing but don't do either any longer. They weren't in tins but powdered and made up with water. No caffeine just a mixture of carbohydrates both quick and slower release. Probably not that healthy in large amounts I might have had about 20 litres a year. Start a race with one bottle of water and another of energy drink.
Now I eat standard food, fish and chips or an all day breakfast mid-ride is quite usual in a long ride and drink water whilst riding and tea when stopped.


pretty similar here too, i do still ride sportives so do still use them then as i'm likely to need some electrolyte replacement along with energy bars but i'm as likely to be tucking into cola, fruit, cake and pork pie on the way round! (one event i ride in Germany has beer and soup, what's not to like?)

Most of my riding is done on water, tea and 'real' food, eggs (poached by preference) on toast usually but i can be tempted to chips etc on longer days (if we ever get them again!)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

whoof
Posts: 2365
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby whoof » 20 Apr 2020, 9:43pm

foxyrider wrote:
whoof wrote:My answer didn't fit any of your choices. I used to use them when racing but don't do either any longer. They weren't in tins but powdered and made up with water. No caffeine just a mixture of carbohydrates both quick and slower release. Probably not that healthy in large amounts I might have had about 20 litres a year. Start a race with one bottle of water and another of energy drink.
Now I eat standard food, fish and chips or an all day breakfast mid-ride is quite usual in a long ride and drink water whilst riding and tea when stopped.


pretty similar here too, i do still ride sportives so do still use them then as i'm likely to need some electrolyte replacement along with energy bars but i'm as likely to be tucking into cola, fruit, cake and pork pie on the way round! (one event i ride in Germany has beer and soup, what's not to like?)

Most of my riding is done on water, tea and 'real' food, eggs (poached by preference) on toast usually but i can be tempted to chips etc on longer days (if we ever get them again!)

I like eggs on a ride. 320km Audax last year. Food carried with me; cheese roll, Nutella roll, hard boiled egg, homemade muesli bars, small bag of nuts and sultanas and a banana. Two stops, one mushroom omelette and a piece of lemon drizzle cake both with a pot of tea.

softlips
Posts: 600
Joined: 12 Dec 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby softlips » 21 Apr 2020, 4:16pm

I think some are mixing up ‘energy drinks’ such as Red Bull etc with energy drinks for exercising such as High-5, Torq etc.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13795
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 21 Apr 2020, 4:32pm

softlips wrote:I think some are mixing up ‘energy drinks’ such as Red Bull etc with energy drinks for exercising such as High-5, Torq etc.

What is the difference, please?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

ANTONISH
Posts: 1835
Joined: 26 Mar 2009, 9:49am

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Postby ANTONISH » 21 Apr 2020, 4:41pm

softlips wrote:I think some are mixing up ‘energy drinks’ such as Red Bull etc with energy drinks for exercising such as High-5, Torq etc.


Well stimulants have some effect on the metabolism but obviously don't provide energy in the form of calories.
However they do have an effect.
I generally think of an energy drink as something that contributes calories e.g sugar but may have stimulants e.g coffee. Some energy drinks for exercise contain caffeine.
I think Red Bull falls into the energy category for exercising - but I don't recommend it.
I'm not sure about high 5 I thought it was only electrolytes and no sugar.