27%
Prefer other (what?)
5%

Total votes: 22

Cyril Haearn

Re: Energy drinks: Why? Why not?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think a mix of natural foods provides enough energy, taking a rest helps too
Did quite a long ride on fixed, got a bit stiff cos I couldnae freewheel, stopped to eat (standing up of course), soon had enough energy to resume
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ossie

Post by ossie »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I see a lot of discarded empty 'taurus rouge' cans while cycling,

Its like the discarded CO2 cartridge thread and the assumption its cyclists discarding them. Cyclists aren't using cans of energy drink, its either a dissolvable tablet like high 5 in a bottle or two of water or some energy gels or just food as people in the thread have said. What you're seeing is the general population lobbing stuff onto the side of the road.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ossie wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I see a lot of discarded empty 'taurus rouge' cans while cycling,

Its like the discarded CO2 cartridge thread and the assumption its cyclists discarding them. Cyclists aren't using cans of energy drink, its either a dissolvable tablet like high 5 in a bottle or two of water or some energy gels or just food as people in the thread have said. What you're seeing is the general population lobbing stuff onto the side of the road.

+1

Using the same logic, cyclists obviously eat a lot of KFC and Maccy D's with their tins of Carling :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have had a extensive history of running out of energy on a ride, and occasionally at home and work. The symptoms are grey vision, shaking and disorientation so not something I would want to just muddle through, as it were. Regardless of the length of ride I always take an energy gel and often a powder based energy drink in the water bottle.
I wouldn’t touch the heavily marketed, sugared and caffined ‘lifestyle’ canned brands which strike me as, primarily, liquid drugs designed to restore human functions the morning after an all-night bender. This would also explain the roadside litter which, I believe, is thrown from cars by bendees on the way to work.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
softlips wrote:I think some are mixing up ‘energy drinks’ such as Red Bull etc with energy drinks for exercising such as High-5, Torq etc.

What is the difference, please?

Red Bull et al are high caffeine products with high sugar content to improve the flavour. They’ll give a quick hit of sugar and the caffeine will increase your heart rate but they don’t provide a sustainable energy supply.

High 5, Torq, SIS are usually electrolyte drinks with some added carbohydrate component for energy.
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

What is an energy drink?
Any drink other than plain water has some "energy"
To meet the criteria of this survey, do the drinks specifically have to be labelled "energy drink"
Sports drinks are marketed cleverly. Some specifically to be consumed during exercise, some post exercise, some with 25% protein.
Not straightforward to answer with any degree of accuracy.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I mentioned taureu rouge, don't like to use the copyrighted name, I was thinking of the drinks in cans, CSOs, cola-shaped objects

Not so much thinking of sports drinks devised by Marginal Gainers
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

andrewwillans49 wrote:What is an energy drink?
Any drink other than plain water has some "energy"
To meet the criteria of this survey, do the drinks specifically have to be labelled "energy drink"
Sports drinks are marketed cleverly. Some specifically to be consumed during exercise, some post exercise, some with 25% protein.
Not straightforward to answer with any degree of accuracy.

Indeed

Plenty of poseurs on here who will happily stop at a coffee shop and purchase an overpriced espresso or flat white, and then gobble up some nice sugary cake to go with it. But happy to virtue signal their superiority by denigrating someone who gets exactly the same chemical hit from a can of coke or red-bull
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

TonySJ wrote:To be honest I dont buy any as I once read they are mainly just sugars with a pinch of salt so I make my own.

700ml bottle gets 49grams of sugar, pinch of salt and a splash of cordial/squash to taste.

Same as my flapjack bars/energy bars. Home made from British Cycling I think. Oats, seeds ( pumpkin, sunflower, chia, linseed, ) Almonds, raisins, dates, dark brown sugar, sunflower oil, Golden Syrup, peanut butter.

T

I make similar flapjack bars - used to use honey but now usually golden syrup as it is cheaper I think and also easier to work with - no idea if the honey is better. Last batch I discovered some sort of squidgy small tube of evaporated milk cream at the back of the cupbaord and chucked that it as well - it was well out of date but seems to have worked OK and gives a slight creamy milky taste to the end product.

So thinking of maybe using some normal liquid condensed milk in the next batch as I have some tins of that (ditto well out of date) at the back of the cupboard.

Folks got any views on the wisdom of that?

My normal recipe when made seems to keep for ever - no idea if the condensed milk will compromise this.

Views?

On the energy drinks, I rarely use but I like to pack one or two on long long rides. I do find that when I'm on the edge/starting to lose the will to continue, they do give me a rocket boost.

I can recommend Aldi's alarmingly named Red Thunder.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sweep wrote:I make similar flapjack bars - used to use honey but now usually golden syrup as it is cheaper I think and also easier to work with - no idea if the honey is better.

Honey isn't only sugars and water, but most of the health claims aren't substantiated. I'd go with what you like and what works in the recipe.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 26 Apr 2020, 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote:
Sweep wrote:I make similar flapjack bars - used to use honey but now usually golden syrup as it is cheaper I think and also easier to work with - no idea if the honey is better.

Honey isn't only sugars and water, but most of the health claims aren't substantiated. I'd go with what you like and what works in the recipe.

Jonathan

Thanks for info - syrup in those wonderful old tins it is then - easy to grab at aldi and lidl.
Sweep
Dartmoor rider

Post by Dartmoor rider »

I used to drink 2 monster engery a day while at work (scaffolder) I drank them for years in the end they gave me horrifically bad migraines and I ended up in hospital because docs thought I had bleeding on my brain due to the pain I was explaining to them but it was a really bad migraine since then I have cut caffeine out totally and I feel grate for it eating healthy makes such a difference. Even small amounts I wouldn't ever touch again as can get all the energy I need from eating right
New to road riding but loving every mile :D