Blocked ears

thirdcrank

Re: Blocked ears

Postby thirdcrank » 12 Jun 2020, 5:01pm

My wife was recently in the same situation and tried most of the remedies suggested here. The allegedly stronger drops obtained on prescription made things worse in that the loss of hearing became intermittent, varying between totally deaf and a bit of hearing in one ear.

I found this online. It's £55 flat rate, "no wax, no fee" but it was 100% successful and my wife was really pleased with how it was done. As she had already been using olive oil then the prescribed drops it was all completed at one go. I rang and made the appointment last Monday (my wife could not hear sufficiently to use a phone) and the appointment was last Wednesday, lasting only a few minutes and clearing both lugs. Often, when she has had them syringed at the surgery, it has taken more than one visit to clear the lot.

In one sense fifty-five quid is megabucks but we both thought it was worth every penny, especially as the service was available in these difficult times.

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing/ea ... &gclsrc=ds

(No connection. I don't even go there for my specs.)

PS Forgot to mention: no attempt to offer her any other services such as hearing aids and, although it's advertised as only available at selected branches, we were able to go to Morley, Leeds, which is about a mile away from our house.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 12 Jun 2020, 5:22pm

Hello there, As someone who has had ear issues for over 60 years, since infections through swimming, I have perforations in both ears.
Having undergone 3 operations for drum grafts I am at the iffy end of the spectrum.
So putting fluids of any kind into my lugholes is a no no! I simply go to my GP, get him/her to refer me to the Hospital ENT Dept. They get out the mini vacuum cleaner and probe. All loosened & removed every now and then. Works for me. My hearing is still crepe, but I suffer no discomfort. MM

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 12 Jun 2020, 5:42pm

Thanks for the info
My doc uses lukewarm water, but there is no charge for second + third visits
Hoping to soften it with oil, lying on my side so gravity helps
One wonders how to stop it building up again, I shall make a point of rinsing with the shower head

I guess I am lucky, this is about my biggest health problem
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 12 Jun 2020, 8:34pm

Hi,
thirdcrank wrote:My wife was recently in the same situation and tried most of the remedies suggested here. The allegedly stronger drops obtained on prescription made things worse in that the loss of hearing became intermittent, varying between totally deaf and a bit of hearing in one ear.

I had the same to the point that after three days prior to going to GP to get syringed...........I felt that I was slowly becoming depressed, not funny :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 12 Jun 2020, 10:00pm

Occasionally I wake up having slept on my left side and my left rear is painful and clogged. I use bicarbonate which helps. However looking for something better the pharmacist told me that all treatments that sell are not to be used if you have pain. Pain indicates infection is possible so not good to use a lot of the solutions designed to break up ear wax. However, if no pain then bicarbonate of otex type of treatments are best. Also, they could order a bulb syringe type of kit for me.

Since there is a bit of pain and I think that was the ear that perforated with a rather nasty infection I think I'll need a GP visit. Is it still ok to see a GP for stuff like this? I don't feel right visiting a GP right now.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 12 Jun 2020, 11:19pm

Workload in primary care is still low, and they'll probably try not to see you in person unless it's necessary. So you should expect some 'phone triage and probably a 'phone consultation to begin with.

Jonathan