Hip injury

arnsider

Hip injury

Postby arnsider » 23 Apr 2020, 2:22pm

Last Autum, I was diagnosed with Polymyalgia and worrying about continuing cycling led me to buy an E bike.
I had a Thorn Nomad tourer and a Kinesis T2 day bike and went out and bought a Whyte Coniston E bike.
The Steroid medication is brilliant and has allowed me to ride both my Thorn and Kinesis.
I still very much like my E Bike and don't regret the outlay.
There is a niggling drawback with the Coniston in that the Fork center is slighty offset forward of the handlebar stem. This causes the front wheel to swivel around when trying to hold the bike straight for mounting by throwing the right leg over the crossbar.
It can cause me to loose my balance and to fall to the left.
This happened Saturday last and I suffered a grazed elbow leaving a couple of scuds.
My old Parrott windproof came off unscathed (Good Kit!)
Well I got up, shook myself, came too and got back on for an uneventful eight mile ride home.
Tuesday, I started to feel a twinge in my left hip and at first I wondered if the Polymyalgia had flared.
This was a possibilty because I'd just reduced the medication.
Then it got much worse and I could only walk with great difficulty.
The pain is only in certain movements, very similar to those that originally gave rise to the polymyalgia diagnosis mainly lifting the leg from the waist and placing my left foot down, with the leg straight, getting in and out of bed and shuffling forward in a seat.
I have suffered Piriformis Syndrome before and the pain is similar to the nerve spasm you get.
Doctor Google describes piriformis as being caused among othe reasons, by Micro Trauma to the Buttocks, so this fits.
As you can imagine, I am rather frightened of presenting for Xray in these awful times.
Has anyone suffered similarly and can help with their experiences?

cotswolds

Re: Hip injury

Postby cotswolds » 23 Apr 2020, 3:10pm

I've had piriformis syndrome and the pain I had was nothing like yours. But if you think it might be that, I found this stretch https://www.athletico.com/2016/06/22/stretch-of-the-week-seated-piriformis-stretch/ incredibly helpful and easy to do.

If it took 3 days for the pain to come on, it seems unlikely anything is broken so an X-ray is unlikely to be helpful.

Lots of health authorities offer telephone physio advice, sounds well worth doing for you. If they can't help, they'd tell you what to do next.

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 23 Apr 2020, 4:44pm

Many thanks for your positive reply.
I have indeed contacted a physio who helped me with my ploymyalgia diagnosis.
I hope sincerely hope nothing has broken and concur with your comments on the timetable of the events.
Best regards.

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 17 Jun 2020, 6:57am

Moving on, the pain got quite acute and in desperation I contacted an Osteopath.
I have faith in them having had osteo treatment for previous disc problems.
I was able to see someone very early and had a course of manipulation, massage and acupuncture.
It was hard to believe I hadn't suffered a fracture, but the osteo assured me I had a severe soft tissue injury.
As to my quest for a suitable steering damper, I have drawn a complete blank. German manufacturers Hebie have said their band on fitting just will not accommodate my oversize top tube.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Jun 2020, 10:00am

I'm assuming yuore now your hip injury is all healed up?
If so I'm glad you've made a full recovery.

On the steering damper,AIUI you were having trouble dis/mounting the bike,in which case would a dropper seatpost be of any help?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 17 Jun 2020, 1:11pm

arnsider wrote:…. German manufacturers Hebie have said their band on fitting just will not accommodate my oversize top tube.

One of these will fix it. they are tapped M5.
https://www.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Chaindevice/DMR/Hinged-Clamp
To measure the size of your down tube, use an adjustable spanner; set the jaws to the width of the tube, then measure between the jaws.

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 17 Jun 2020, 5:10pm

I hadn't thought of a dropper seat post but I'll have a peep.
Many thanks for the links.
My top tube is not perfectly circulart in section, rather a flat top and a round underside.
I will look into the set up check list and I was in fact checking both my Kinesis and my Thorn this lunch time for saddle angle, nose to handle bar dimension and relative elevation.

carlbennett23

Postby carlbennett23 » 22 Jun 2020, 7:42am

I don't recommend to follow advice of Dr Google. Better to see a doctor for good advice.