Just not improving?

Smallcog

Re: Just not improving?

Postby Smallcog » 11 May 2020, 4:36pm

A simple speedometer is quite handy - you can either try to hit slightly faster speeds on a particular part of the run or use the average speed to monitor progress.

Riding with someone slightly faster is a good way to pace up a little.

I see quite a lot of "cycle up, free wheel down" riding - cycling with purpose on the slight down hills and just light pressure pedal turning on moderately steep downhills will (IMHO) reduce leg strain and increase average speed.

We find that day on, day off works well when training up.

carlbennett23

Postby carlbennett23 » 23 Jun 2020, 7:12am

6 months is enough period to gain strength and improving speed. I think you should stay focus on your diet and other lifestyle if your speed and other fitness isn't improving.

Gearoidmuar

Postby Gearoidmuar » 23 Jun 2020, 9:01am

Stop measuring yourself.
Take it easy on hills. Hills will kill you till you're aerobically fit.
Twirl up them.
Easy training will get you more aerobically fit. If you continuously flog yourself you don't improve.
I'm 70.
When I was about 40 I always pushed myself. I could get up to about 18.5mph doing a flat-out effort around a 44m circuit, not very hilly.
However, I was into biketouring and after a bike tour, most of which was taking it easy but 60-70m per day, I could do the same circuit at 20.75 mph, flat out.
I experimented as I got older and established, that for me, easy peasy training was what gave me that extra on top of which I could then do some hard stuff. Most humans are like that.
Cycle easy, often. Crawl up the hills. See what happens.