how can I fix my back pain?

RaggedDash

Re: how can I fix my back pain?

Post by RaggedDash »

I've heard that CBD oil can help with back pain. Have you tried, if so what brand(s)?

<< EDIT : Graham : Looks like a spammer got through to post this ^ one. . . . . Account deleted. >>
Last edited by Graham on 7 Nov 2020, 11:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: CBD - spammer fodder
spark0

Post by spark0 »

Hi
RaggedDash wrote:I've heard that CBD oil can help with back pain. Have you tried, if so what brand(s)?

I have heard of CBD oil, I have never tried it though, I will have to give it a shot. My local vape shop sells it, I'll pop in one day and see what it's all about.
Jdsk

Re: How can I fix my back pain?

Post by Jdsk »

Cochrane Review:
"Cannabis products for adults with chronic neuropathic pain"
https://www.cochrane.org/CD012182/SYMPT_cannabis-products-adults-chronic-neuropathic-pain

NICE guidance:
"Cannabis-based medicinal products... Chronic pain"
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng144/chapter/Recommendations#chronic-pain

Jonathan
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I had crippling back pain for the first 4 months of lockdown. I couldn't get dressed, get in to bed or climb stairs, sitting was painful standing was worse. Find a good physiotherapist and follow the exercises daily or twice daily - you will get better but it may take time. If there is no improvement then see your GP and ask for a scan.
After hours of stretching over the past weeks I cycled 65 miles on Saturday with no ill effect.
Good luck.
spark0

Re: How can I fix my back pain?

Post by spark0 »

Jdsk wrote:Cochrane Review:
"Cannabis products for adults with chronic neuropathic pain"
https://www.cochrane.org/CD012182/SYMPT_cannabis-products-adults-chronic-neuropathic-pain

NICE guidance:
"Cannabis-based medicinal products... Chronic pain"
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng144/chapter/Recommendations#chronic-pain

Jonathan

Thanks for the links. I tried cannabis or CBD products to be exact over the past couple of weeks. I have genuinely not felt the effect at all. I even tried to go above the recommended amounts to see if I can feel the effects at all and no. It was a genuine waste of £30 that one.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

steady eddy wrote:After hours of stretching over the past weeks I cycled 65 miles on Saturday with no ill effect.

Sounds good.

steady eddy wrote: If there is no improvement then see your GP and ask for a scan.

Talking to your GP is a good idea. NICE guidelines on imaging:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs155/chapter/Quality-statement-2-Referrals-for-imaging

Jonathan
jonny_five

Post by jonny_five »

Back pain can often come from having tight hamstrings. The tightness of the leg muscles can often distort the position of the pelvis making the lower back uncomfortable. I used to get a lot of pain on the bike too but it's all gone since I took up yoga a few years back.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

As above ↑↑↑. Also, consider stretching your glute muscles. They link to your lower back muscles.
Stretching your glutes may contribute to easing of the pain in your back. It worked for me.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

jonny_five wrote:Back pain can often come from having tight hamstrings. The tightness of the leg muscles can often distort the position of the pelvis making the lower back uncomfortable. I used to get a lot of pain on the bike too but it's all gone since I took up yoga a few years back.

This is very true and stretching is both good and important, however understanding why the hamstrings are tight and addressing that issue is more important.

One very likely cause is poor core strength, for reason not best understood, many of us as we age stop or reduce using our core muscles and start to rely on the big muscles in our limbs to provide the strength for movement. This effectively means we are using muscles to do tasks they were never intended for, this not only pulls the pelvis out of correct alignment but causes stiffness in the muscles which further pulls the pelvis out of alignment, and of course all this bad posture starts to create wear and tear on the spine.

And improving core strength is far from easy, just doing some "core strength" exercises you have found on the internet may not help, you will probably just use all the wrong muscles and think you have great core strength. And if you continue doing the exercises using all the wrong muscles then you may not only be wasting your time you could easily make the exasperate the situation.

It is very difficult to know if you are using the correct muscles, you need to find a physiotherapist / pilates teacher and spend some time on a one to one basis just to learn how to engage these deep core muscles. If you have a very weak core like I had you may have to start of with little more than breathing exercises. (and I could easily do stuff like the plank but was using very strong leg and stomach muscles rather than my core) I think I spent about six months doing what I considered pointless little exercises before I even understood how to engage these deep down all important core muscles.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

I don't think Robin McKenzie's 'Treat your own back' book has been mentioned yet? In my case it helped understand what started in my early 30s, and, in combination with advice from a couple of physios with regard to core strength and flexibility, resulted in a mostly pain free life so far, plus a known recovery route if I overdid it (usually in combination with failing to do the exercises - one learns eventually :roll: )
I hope the OP finds his own comfortable path.
"42"
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Paulatic wrote:391D7775-082F-418D-B054-0C47F4CB3B7C.jpeg

Is there any particular reason you can’t lean forward from the hip and relax a bit?
That screen capture shows you sitting bolt upright braced by your arms every bump must go directly straight up your spine.
IMHO your saddle is too high that’s almost a straight leg there and your saddle looks to be slammed forward also.
If the handlebars were lower and forward with the saddle back would allow you to cantilever your body and spread your contact over 3 places in place of what must be 85% presently going up from your bum.
Your yoga link didn’t work for me but googling your medical terms could the pain you are getting be from tensed muscles?

If my experience and opinion are wanted it looks as thought the bike is way too small for starters!