Lungs

Peter F

Lungs

Postby Peter F » 8 Jun 2020, 8:02pm

So, on my way home from work I took the back road which has a nice little climb, 0.2 miles 13% average with a max of 20%. Feeling fit I decided to push myself resulting in me getting rather short of breath. Disappointingly I was 37 seconds of my PR.
At the top I was hurting and when I was trying to regain my breath It was physically uncomfortable to breathe in at the point where my lungs were almost fully inflated. It felt painful at the top if my chest. I was very out if breath initially. After a gentle ride back I recovered but I can still feel at the top of my chest that I have worked hard.
So, questions:
Is this normal and is it a sign that I have pushed myself too hard? I get this when I push very hard on a climb and I have often wondered whether it was normal. I don't normally push this hard on rides, but this climb is a bit of a personal challenge for me. KOM is 1.41 but I would like to do a sub 2 minute time.

Jdsk

Re: Lungs

Postby Jdsk » 8 Jun 2020, 8:18pm

How long since you did it 37s quicker?

How long did the shortness of breath last?

Did its feel harder to breathe out than in? Any wheezing or coughing?

When you say "at the top of my chest" is that front, back, on top of your shoulders? Both sides the same?

Jonathan

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 8 Jun 2020, 9:08pm

Jdsk wrote:How long since you did it 37s quicker?

How long did the shortness of breath last?

Did its feel harder to breathe out than in? Any wheezing or coughing?

When you say "at the top of my chest" is that front, back, on top of your shoulders? Both sides the same?

Jonathan

Oh, at least a couple of years.
Shortness of breath lasted at least a minute maybe two.
No breathing out is fine, it's just discomfort as I breath in a far as I can.
Little bit wheezy. But no coughing. I feels like I have a little bit of flem on my chest and I'm still slightly wheezy.
Front of my chest in the middle, so not really lungs, actually. More bottom of my windpipe. Nothing on shoulders or back.

Cyclewala

Postby Cyclewala » 9 Jun 2020, 7:03pm

You sound like me when I haven't ridden for a few days or if suffering from a light cold.

Our body produces mucus for good reasons but sometimes over does it, i.e. during a cold. Mucus reduces the capacity of the airways making breathing more difficult. So, as long you've no other conditions, it's likely your lungs are clearing the congestion.

If you were to do the same road tomorrow, chances are the lungs might not strain so much as the passageways have been cleared.

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 9 Jun 2020, 7:18pm

Cyclewala wrote:You sound like me when I haven't ridden for a few days or if suffering from a light cold.

Our body produces mucus for good reasons but sometimes over does it, i.e. during a cold. Mucus reduces the capacity of the airways making breathing more difficult. So, as long you've no other conditions, it's likely your lungs are clearing the congestion.

If you were to do the same road tomorrow, chances are the lungs might not strain so much as the passageways have been cleared.

I did the same hill again tonight. This time I started breathing properly at the start of the hill rather than waiting until I was struggling then gasping. Not sure on my time yet but I didn't kill myself like last night. I think I have a touch of hayfever which won't help.