Improving prformance in elderly.

DaveBeck
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Aug 2019, 10:07am

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby DaveBeck » 27 Jun 2020, 7:24pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:@antbrewer

I am interested in trying strange things, climbing towers for instance, but I can cycle too fast even now, just do not need an e-bike. It increases speed and thus danger. I guess I am lucky, but I also chose to live where there are few hills, so cycling is easy. There are shops near home, I walk to shop. Used to do long rides in new places, now I am content to have just a few different routes with few hills. Not boring, weather and colours change daily

I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same


Cyril,

You seem to be arguing under a misconception about e-bikes. They do not increase the speed of a rider, road legal ones are designed and required by law to cease the electric assist at 15.5mph. which most of us can probably already do without an e-bike on the flat anyway. So I can't see how on earth they increase the danger?

You also seem to have entirely missed the point I was trying to get across in my last but one post. Fortunately, I am like you in that I don't need an e-bike either, and I suspect that being in Cornwall, I probably live in a far hillier area than you. But where we differ is in the fact that I can see the benefits of them, I've seen it with friends that are only still cycling because they have an e-bike. Would you have all these people take up the recently developed sport of "Tower Climbing"?

I'm pleased for you that, like me, you can continue pedalling unassisted, and long may you do so. But if the day comes that you can't, I hope you will reconsider, get an e-bike and carry on doing the thing you obviously feel so passionate about.

Dave B

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13756
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Jun 2020, 8:23pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same


I did.

It is rarely a good idea judging others' circumstances.

Another queer statement. I like to read alternative opinions too, I am interested in learning!
..
Not judging, just hoping
Ebikes use lots of resources and grow the economy, - 1!

Maybe I am just lucky, made my luck too mind. Do you envy me?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 27 Jun 2020, 8:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13756
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Jun 2020, 8:35pm

DaveBeck wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:@antbrewer

I am interested in trying strange things, climbing towers for instance, but I can cycle too fast even now, just do not need an e-bike. It increases speed and thus danger. I guess I am lucky, but I also chose to live where there are few hills, so cycling is easy. There are shops near home, I walk to shop. Used to do long rides in new places, now I am content to have just a few different routes with few hills. Not boring, weather and colours change daily

I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same


Cyril,

You seem to be arguing under a misconception about e-bikes. They do not increase the speed of a rider, road legal ones are designed and required by law to cease the electric assist at 15.5mph. which most of us can probably already do without an e-bike on the flat anyway. So I can't see how on earth they increase the danger?

You also seem to have entirely missed the point I was trying to get across in my last but one post. Fortunately, I am like you in that I don't need an e-bike either, and I suspect that being in Cornwall, I probably live in a far hillier area than you. But where we differ is in the fact that I can see the benefits of them, I've seen it with friends that are only still cycling because they have an e-bike. Would you have all these people take up the recently developed sport of "Tower Climbing"?

I'm pleased for you that, like me, you can continue pedalling unassisted, and long may you do so. But if the day comes that you can't, I hope you will reconsider, get an e-bike and carry on doing the thing you obviously feel so passionate about.

Dave B

15.5 mph is 'faster' for many older people using ebikes, in tight places or in town
I do not want others taking up tower climbing, it is not a new sport, just walking up steps. Can use a lot of energy, some church tower stairs have a lot of exposure, that can be a challenge

Much much flatter than in Cornwall where I live. I do not want more people cycling on the very quiet waterside cycleways I use, many are in groups and do not move over when passing

Have you tried an ebike, despite not needing one? I had the chance to try one but did not take it, I do not need to go faster
..
Actually 15 mph must be about my top speed: 100 rpm on 49" fixed
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4671
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 Jun 2020, 8:38pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same


I did.

It is rarely a good idea judging others' circumstances.

Another queer statement. I like to read alternative opinions too, I am interested in learning!
..
Not judging, just hoping
Ebikes use lots of resources and grow the economy, - 1!

Maybe I am just lucky, made my luck too mind. Do you envy me?


I know little of you. I am pretty content with what I have.
John

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13756
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Jun 2020, 8:38pm

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote: ..........I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same

Your wish won't come true so you may as well put with it and get used to the idea :wink:

Some of my dreams have come true already :wink:
I people realise how expensive ebiking is they might repent
Hoping that This cv Madness causes a shift to less economic growth. Trouble is, people are too rich :?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 27 Jun 2020, 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4671
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 Jun 2020, 8:42pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote: ..........I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same

Your wish won't come true so you may as well put with it and get used to the idea :wink:

I people realise how expensive ebiking is they might repent
Hoping that This cv Madness causes a shift to less economic growth. Trouble is, people are too rich :?


Go back to using a car instead. Yes, that makes sense.
John

djnotts
Posts: 1594
Joined: 26 May 2008, 12:51pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby djnotts » 27 Jun 2020, 8:50pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same


I did.

It is rarely a good idea judging others' circumstances.


I also am doing so. Had it not been for Covid etc I may already have gone electric simply so that I could have continued to ride with local ctc easy ride group. Last year I could just about keep up, another 6 months and I won't be able.

DaveBeck
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Aug 2019, 10:07am

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby DaveBeck » 27 Jun 2020, 8:57pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
DaveBeck wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:@antbrewer


15.5 mph is 'faster' for many older people using ebikes, in tight places or in town
I do not want others taking up tower climbing, it is not a new sport, just walking up steps. Can use a lot of energy, some church tower stairs have a lot of exposure, that can be a challenge

Much much flatter than in Cornwall where I live. I do not want more people cycling on the very quiet waterside cycleways I use, many are in groups and do not move over when passing

Have you tried an ebike, despite not needing one? I had the chance to try one but did not take it, I do not need to go faster
..
Actually 15 mph must be about my top speed: 100 rpm on 49" fixed


I have tried an e-bike. It was quite good fun! You still have to put some effort in to get the electric assist to kick in. I can see how it would make things easier for helping people ride up hills.

You really should try one. Just because they can do 15.5mph doesn't mean you have to do 15.5mph. ;)

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13756
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Jun 2020, 9:02pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Your wish won't come true so you may as well put with it and get used to the idea :wink:

I people realise how expensive ebiking is they might repent
Hoping that This cv Madness causes a shift to less economic growth. Trouble is, people are too rich :?


Go back to using a car instead. Yes, that makes sense.

Trying to interpret what you think I am thinking? :? Never suggested more car use, I am for less of that too, less travelling, less use of resources, more life
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13756
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby Cyril Haearn » 27 Jun 2020, 9:06pm

@DaveB
I nearly tried an €bike, I think a colleague would have lent me his. But I was worried about insurance too (besides going so fast), see live thread about lending a cycle
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4671
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 Jun 2020, 9:12pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I people realise how expensive ebiking is they might repent
Hoping that This cv Madness causes a shift to less economic growth. Trouble is, people are too rich :?


Go back to using a car instead. Yes, that makes sense.

Trying to interpret what you think I am thinking? :? Never suggested more car use, I am for less of that too, less travelling, less use of resources, more life


You suggested those of us with ebikes might repent. Not sure how I'd get around if I were to repent as you say. I'd be largely stuck in the house. And btw ebiking is not expensive.

But I realise discussion is futile. You say that you are open to new things but you have determined that those of us who have for our own reasons got ebikes have got it wrong.

And you still don't understand: ebikes don't make you go fast. That is your choice.
John

DaveBeck
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Aug 2019, 10:07am

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby DaveBeck » 27 Jun 2020, 9:26pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:@DaveB
I nearly tried an €bike, I think a colleague would have lent me his. But I was worried about insurance too (besides going so fast), see live thread about lending a cycle


That's a shame. You don't have to worry about going fast on them, they help with your pedalling effort but just like cycling on a non electric bike, you will only go as fast as your effort makes it go. As soon as you stop pedalling, you'll slow down. That assistance level can be adjusted up or down.

I have seen the lending a cycle thread. I probably wouldn't lend a bike to be taken away from me, but I would let someone have a go on it whilst I was there.

reohn2
Posts: 39688
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby reohn2 » 28 Jun 2020, 12:32am

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote: ..........I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same

Your wish won't come true so you may as well put with it and get used to the idea :wink:

Some of my dreams have come true already :wink:
I people realise how expensive ebiking is they might repent
Hoping that This cv Madness causes a shift to less economic growth. Trouble is, people are too rich :?


The need to repent indicates you think it's a sin to use an e-bike :?
That being the case what of any other form of motorised transport or does that not count :?

What will happen as a result of the pandemic won't lead to less e-bikes or cycling in general,but quite the opposite IMO so be careful what you dream for and be prepared to adapt accordingly.
It's as I posted up thread,your outlook on cycling or indeed life isn't a common one.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

arnsider
Posts: 242
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 12:44am

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby arnsider » 4 Jul 2020, 6:49am

I turned seventy this March, but I bought my e Bike last September.
I'd been diagnosed with polymyalgia and was frightened at the prospect of not being able to ride.
I remember the last ride I did before the diagnosis. It was with a couple of mates and a mere thirty mile round trip over mostly flat terrain.
I rode my Kinesis T2 which is pretty light and easy to ride. Well, I ached so bad and I had difficulty getting on and off.
At least five of my regular ride group had E bikes, so I was not short of advice and information.
Buying the right machine was pretty easy from recommendations and I am reasonably happy I've made the right decision.
My take is this;
E Bikes are well built and the mechanics have been developed and are continually being developed.
I consider them to be remarkably good value for money and a likely a very good choice if you are a utility cyclist and commute and shop by bike.
The battery capacity on full size hybrid and utility models in the £2000 plus bracket is more than adequate for a days ride.
I did 53 miles the other day in the South Lakes and only used 2/5 bars of the battery.
Power is only applied while you are turning the pedals and only up to a speed of 15 mph.
You have to learn a new technique of keeping up the cadence and using your gears.
On the gear front, you are limited to a single chainwheel, so ten speed is normally tops.
I must emphasise that you still get a very good workout and because of the increase in capability over distances and gradients, you tend to ride for longer.
I have two non E bikes and since my Polymyalgia is treated with good medication, I can still use them, though I am not so potent on them as I was.
Comments from all my 70 plus mates are unanimous in their praise of E bikes.
One pal who Cycled, Caved and Hill Walked, had a nasty accident on Sugar Loaf and injured a leg so badly that his Hill Walking days were over.
This was a few years back and he is now on his second E bike. The Trek that he had first is still going strong after thousands of miles.
I had an E mail from him recently describing a 62 mile ride he'd done in the Wye Valley invoving around 6000 feet of ascent.
They are a win win win!!

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4671
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Postby Oldjohnw » 4 Jul 2020, 7:28am

arnsider wrote:I turned seventy this March, but I bought my e Bike last September.
I'd been diagnosed with polymyalgia and was frightened at the prospect of not being able to ride.
I remember the last ride I did before the diagnosis. It was with a couple of mates and a mere thirty mile round trip over mostly flat terrain.
I rode my Kinesis T2 which is pretty light and easy to ride. Well, I ached so bad and I had difficulty getting on and off.
I had an E mail from him recently vdescribing a 62 mile ride he'd done in the Wye Valley invoving around 6000 feet of ascent.
They are a win win win!!


Great to hear and not a million miles different to my own experience. I retrofitted a motor and do week long camping tours three times a year as well as utility cycling an local leisure purposes.

At nearly 71 and only taking up cycling again after 30 years 3 years ago (I used to hill walk and back pack but illness stopped that) I would be stuck without it. A technique is required balancing power input and gears but once acquired is easy.
John