Wrist and hand pain.

Debs

Re: Wrist and hand pain.

Post by Debs »

Jdsk wrote:
Debs wrote:But oddly, after not riding my bike for over a week, my right hand is now even worse than when i was riding (?)

What seemed to hurt my hand more than anything was pot-holes, but expect more to it than that.

I can't wait to get better so i can try the advice on the above vid, move cleats back, lower saddle and move back a bit....

When you're riding again could you add photos of your body position and hand positions?

Jonathan

I've had a interesting realisation...

Back in May my impaired knee joint momentarily locked and i had a stumble going down the stairs - result one stress fractured metatarsal.

With my left knee and foot a bit swollen and achey i no longer like to hold my MacBook in my lap, the weight of it makes my poorly leg ache more.

So my MacBook is placed to my left hand side away from my lap, which creates a new and very poor posture position.

The only effect or signs of the poor posture is felt while cycling - because of the hand and handlebar interface. Starts off as niggly but progresses worse as a few weeks go by...

In June an unrelated jaw-lock condition [ TMD issue ] joins the party. This leaves me very fatigued, resting a lot on bed, but with more time for the new and bad MacBook posture, and by the 1st of July an intense wrist/hand pain while cycling.

Fatigue and issues with TMD lock-jaw force me to lay-off the bike, but this means more bed rest with even more increased time with the newly imposed very bad macBook posture. Result one very angry ulnar nerve entrapment.

So my new theory is that my ulnar nerve problem is not caused my cycling at all, only the pain initially felt only while out on the bike.

This would explain why my ulnar nerve problem has got a lot worse since laying off the cycling.

I feel such a twit having unwittingly caused this issue that could so easily of been avoided [ However i have been feeling dreadfully unwell ]

<>

This does make me wonder how many other cyclists have bad keyboard posture to the point of ulnar nerve entrapment - but mistakenly blame the condition on cycling [ handlebars palsy ] because it's only when out on the bike the pain is so obviously intense (?)

I also wonder how many cyclists had these wrist nerve issues back in the pre-1990 days before computer keyboards were marketed for the masses (?)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Debs wrote:I also wonder how many cyclists had these wrist nerve issues back in the pre-1990 days before computer keyboards were marketed for the masses (?)

There were millions of people spending long hours of repetitive actions at keyboards before the 90s...

Jonathan
Debs

Post by Debs »

Jdsk wrote:
Debs wrote:I also wonder how many cyclists had these wrist nerve issues back in the pre-1990 days before computer keyboards were marketed for the masses (?)

There were millions of people spending long hours of repetitive actions at keyboards before the 90s...

Jonathan

Yes i was one of them, but fortunately never had any keyboard related repetitive strain injury, and the people i know who did were not cyclists.

How about the 1950s, the heyday years of cycling, did lots of cyclists back then complain about handlebar palsy?
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

Over the years I think I have every trick in the book to combat the hand/wrist pain, and numbness. I have used flat top carbon drop handlebars with gel and padded tape - delayed the pain and numbness, but did not cure it.

On One Mary 'bars to allow hands to be held at a more natural angle were also tried; this coupled with grips that spread the weight across the palms worked to only a limited extent. The Jones H bars gave the same result. Stems were raised as the first port of call, of course.

I have now returned to the recumbent fold as it is the only way I can cycle for more than a few miles. Yes, I do have to push it up some hills, but that is still exercise, isn't it?
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Ball-handlers in Barnsley were prone to repetitive strain injuries at Dunlop factory,making tennis balls

https://store.slazenger.com/

Yorkshire limp wrists follow balls for Wimbledon,was a local headline,in Barrsley and Wombwell Sentinel
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mumbojumbo wrote:Ball-handlers in Barnsley were prone to repetitive strain injuries at Dunlop factory,making tennis balls

https://store.slazenger.com/

Yorkshire limp wrists follow balls for Wimbledon,was a local headline,in Barrsley and Wombwell Sentinel

As a kid growing up in the strange region of the south east Midlands - think Northampton - Bedford area, the local variation on that was sprout pickers wrist, north Bedfordshire supposedly supplied 50% of the nations Brussels which back in the seventies were harvested by hand, none of this sell it on the stalk stuff! If the smell in late autumn was anything to go by i'd confirm the claim :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!