I'm tilted over to one side!

john_roberts

I'm tilted over to one side!

Postby john_roberts » 26 Jun 2020, 12:27pm

Hello to everyone :)

I noticed during a few recent rides that I appear to be tilted over to the right when I'm cycling. I noticed this when looking down at the front wheel, where I can see the right hand wheel nut and spokes, but cannot see the same on the left hand side. I have never noticed this before, though that isn't to say that it wasn't there.

I've been out on the bike about 30 times this year and regularly during lockdown, where I developed a short route of around 6.5 miles with a couple of decent hills just to keep me 'in the loop' three or four times a week. At no time during my rides have I ever felt pain in my back or legs and after purchasing a FitBit I have actually slowed down slightly after it showed a 25% increase in effort to gain a sub-10% increase in speed or distance just wasn't worth it.

Now I have been off the bike for over 3 weeks, following a crippling back pain, which developed over the course of 24 hours following the last ride. I couldn't walk for a week, spent a week hobbling around with a stick, now I am at the point where the pain is just a slight niggle. Exactly the same thing happened three years ago, admittedly following a rather stupid ride taking things too fast and too hard for my fitness levels. I am certainly more 'bike fit' now than then so wasn't expecting a resumption of the pain, which may in fact be a symptom of a lumbar puncture that went wrong decades ago as the pain is identical.

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the tilted issue? The bike was fitted for me and everything appears to be symmetrical, indeed I myself appear to be symmetrical as far as I can tell, so...

Am I compensating for the pain?
    Am I causing the pain?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice before I head out on the bike again :)
czarnyukradkiemrowerdwa

Jdsk

Re: I'm tilted over to one side!

Postby Jdsk » 26 Jun 2020, 12:30pm

It's pretty common.

Have you tried deliberately keeping the bike vertical and seeing how it feels?

Jonathan

PS: There's an inclinometer function in most smart 'phones... does anyone know how it would work for a bike in roll?
Last edited by Jdsk on 26 Jun 2020, 3:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 26 Jun 2020, 3:07pm

I always see the right side of the front wheel, even though I am left eye dominant.
I know that I have ridden like this for years, because I have a shed full of leather saddles and they all have a deeper bum bone dent on the right than on the left side.
So in the general run of events, I wouldn't worry about it.....but you have back pain, so I think you have to ask the question whether you always lean the bike, or is it associated with the back pain.

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 26 Jun 2020, 4:09pm

I've found out that I have a slight sideways scoliosis (curve) to my lower back.
When I ride then it's fairly easy to straighten that part of my spine.
If I do then I'll put more weight on my left seatbone.
Then to even the seatbone weight out, I'll then tip the bike to the left slightly to compensate.
But until I had my back scanned due to pain, I didn't know this scoliosis was the root cause of the tip.

Another reason could be that one leg is a fraction shorter than the other.
Again this will cause more weight on one seatbone and you'll tip the bike to compensate.

Luck ............ :D

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 26 Jun 2020, 5:43pm

I think It’s quite common. I’ve ridden behind a lot of people who are not straight and plumb on the bike. Even I might not be but I can’t ride behind myself to find out. Also I can’t say I’ve noticed more of one side of the axle to the other as it’s usually covered up with the handlebars.
My observations are I think it’s often a shorter leg. Being troubled with my back many times I also know I go bent to avoid pain.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

john_roberts

Postby john_roberts » 27 Jun 2020, 10:22am

Many many thanks for the replies - I feel slightly less troubled by the tilt now and once I feel able to get back on the bike for a test ride (and this awful weather improves) I'll see how things go and make a conscious effort to correct the lean, at least to a degree where it remains comfortable and there are no painful after-effects.

If there is a dramatic change (for better or worse) I'll post it here, though it could be some time as 2017 was the previous incident :lol:

Many thanks again!

John R
czarnyukradkiemrowerdwa

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 27 Jun 2020, 4:27pm

If you haven't one already, I'd be inclined to to get your back scanned.
From the scan you may be able to find an underlying reason for the attack of back pain, if you don't already know the reason.
Armed with that knowledge it then possible to work towards mitigating any further attacks.

Luck ............. :D

cyclop

Postby cyclop » 28 Jun 2020, 3:49pm

Blind in the left eye,both elbows permanently bent(one more than the other),shrunken vastus medialis muscle due to bulging disc,I reckon I ride straight as they cancel each other out!!! :wink: :wink:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 28 Jun 2020, 4:53pm

I noticed my "side" years ago and don't worry about it.
I always see the RH side of the front hub and it feels wrong to sit so I see the LH side, and if I try to be equidistant, it feels a bit wrong too.

My left arm and wrist and hand often aches. Usually after 10 or 20 miles, and has been like that all my adult cycling life.

I can't help with the OP and his back, but I do know that we're all different, and we all ride bikes differently too.
If something hurts ............ like my left arm etc .............. try and get a different setup on the bike.

For me, using drops gives my left side a change of position when required. Having ridden bikes with straights is sheer purgatory these days.
Mick F. Cornwall

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 28 Jun 2020, 5:01pm

Tigerbiten wrote:If you haven't one already, I'd be inclined to to get your back scanned.

In general I wouldn't without some pretty clear reasons. It's expensive, some modalities involve ionising radiation, and it can show up things that no-one knows what to do about. Find a practitioner you trust and discuss it by all means.

But definitely pun of the month. : - )

Jonathan