Saddle (prostate) advice - not sure what to do.

DevonDamo

Re: Saddle (prostate) advice - not sure what to do.

Postby DevonDamo » 23 Jul 2020, 2:00pm

Cowsham wrote: Sorry my bad -- your the guy recommending the saddle with the hole leading to shearing pincers at the front :shock: -- regarding the pants, I wouldn't want to be trussed up like a stuffed turkey ( bad choice of words I know ) every time I go for a ride.

No worries! Now that this thread has already taken a dark, biological turn... I'm definitely not going to start telling you what to wear, but if you fear trapping yourself in that cutaway, then surely you get problems on most other sorts of saddle? I may be being overly influenced by the 'Buster Gonad' cartoon out of Viz, but couldn't you just simply... ahem.. sit on one. Which makes my eyes water just thinking about it.

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 23 Jul 2020, 4:17pm

Cowsham wrote:Don't buy saddles with holes or any fancy profiles or patterns they may feel good to start with but after a while they'll grate and pinch. Simple smooth and flat is the right way to go then it's just a matter of the correct width for your sit bones. Finding such a saddle is the big challenge cos the ones that sell are the fancy ones. I think Selle has a trial period. I don't have prostrate problems ( yet ) but have suffered numb nuts from saddles with too much padding / lumpy profiles and a sore bum from textured saddles.

Spent a couple o hundred quid finding this out. Also found out you get FA on eBay for second hand saddles.

My saddles have holes - and I don't experience grating or pinching.
I have come to the conclusion that saddles are a personal thing and searching for the "just right " saddle is a long, quite often painful journey.
I found mine by chance at a jumble and have since bought that pattern for all my bikes.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 23 Jul 2020, 6:10pm

ANTONISH wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Don't buy saddles with holes or any fancy profiles or patterns they may feel good to start with but after a while they'll grate and pinch. Simple smooth and flat is the right way to go then it's just a matter of the correct width for your sit bones. Finding such a saddle is the big challenge cos the ones that sell are the fancy ones. I think Selle has a trial period. I don't have prostrate problems ( yet ) but have suffered numb nuts from saddles with too much padding / lumpy profiles and a sore bum from textured saddles.

Spent a couple o hundred quid finding this out. Also found out you get FA on eBay for second hand saddles.

My saddles have holes - and I don't experience grating or pinching.
I have come to the conclusion that saddles are a personal thing and searching for the "just right " saddle is a long, quite often painful journey.
I found mine by chance at a jumble and have since bought that pattern for all my bikes.

Probably right too.

Des49

Postby Des49 » 23 Jul 2020, 6:17pm

It may be worth having a chat with Debbie at http://www.dillglove.co.uk, they are the UK agents for SMP saddles which have a very extensive range (too big to understand really!)

They do a test scheme so you can try before you buy, well worth it in my opinion. They have helped 2 people I know with delicate issues in the saddle area and helped them find better suited saddles. I also have a couple of bikes with SMP saddles fitted.