Saddle (prostate) advice - not sure what to do.

Stubb-z

Saddle (prostate) advice - not sure what to do.

Post by Stubb-z »

Hi all - first post and after some help please.
I'm 43 and suffer from enlarged prostate.
After a recent charity bike ride (my first in quite a while), my saddle has done me some damage - I have been suffering for the last 4 weeks and on doctor prescribed pain killers and anti-inflammatory's, which are slowly helping - FYI - this is not muscular or chaffing, not numbness, tingling or a bit of a sore bum! The pain is like constant toothache in the backside which echoes down both legs! This means I cannot sit or stand for long periods of time at the moment :( - and - yes it's as enjoyable as it sounds! :cry:

Here's the thing. Although the suffering is off-putting, I really want to get back on the bike as I really have been enjoying it, but the research I have done, and the articles online all seem to keep throwing up conflicting advice.
Some articles say steer clear of wide saddles, yet prostate specific saddles all seem wide (and quite expensive). Some articles say to go and have a professional fitting, yet we don't live near anywhere that will do it. Plus to make things more difficult, I currently ride a mountain bike, but would like to get a road bike aswell - as you know both bikes have different seating positions, and therefore different saddles - so what to do?

My current mountain bike seat is 7" wide gel padded, and I always wear padded shorts too - I'm 5'11, 14 stone and stocky - not overweight for my build if you know what I mean, and I have a regular (not overweight) sized bottom.

I know its not ideal, but it looks like I will have to buy online rather than in a shop, and I haven't loads of money to keep throwing at this, especially if my "condition" means I may have to give up riding all together. :cry:
There are so many seats out there I simply don't know what to do, or where to start - I've seen them from 13" wide, to razor blades, hornless, to two outward facing plates with nothing in the middle. Do I look at a wider seat that would spread the weight and relieve pressure in the middle? - or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Any fellow sufferers, or indeed ANYONE with any advice for me would be very, very gratefully received.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Stubb-z

Re: Saddle (prostate) advice - not sure what to do.

Post by Stubb-z »

Unbelievable - been researching for weeks and not 10 minutes after posting my query, I stumble over this video on youtube! :roll:

4mins 54 in - it literally shows exactly whats happening with my saddle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woPooOui4T0
RobC

Post by RobC »

Sorry to hear about your pain. I'd say there is definitely a saddle out there that will allow you to cycle in comfort, so don't lose hope.

Gel saddles are not necessarily a good idea as, somewhat counter-intuitively, they are in fact too soft and redirect pressure to other parts of the body that should not be taking any weight whatsoever (eg a prostate!).

Consider a firm saddle with a cut out, and select a width that is appropriate for your sit-bone width and the height of your handlebars (generally the greater the drop from saddle to bars the slimmer the saddle, but this isn't a hard and fast rule - i prefer narrow saddles even on upright bikes). Leather saddles with cut outs might be a good idea for you. They are a bit more pricey, bit heavier, and take a bit of wearing in, but there is a natural suspension from the hammock effect of the stretched leather and once worn in can be very comfortable for 100 mile+ rides. I've seen people using sprung leather brooks saddles on mountain bikes (e.g the brooks flyer) quite happily.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

A friend who had prostrate problems swore by these saddles
https://www.rido-cycling.com/bring-comf ... -profiles/
r2 model was the one
available here
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=RIDO
or you could go for the more drastic approach buy a recumbent. tony didn't like that but I kept suggesting it anyway
NUKe

Post by pwa »

I also notice that some padded shorts now have pads with a channel down the centre to address this issue.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Don't buy saddles with holes or any fancy profiles or patterns they may feel good to start with but after a while they'll grate and pinch. Simple smooth and flat is the right way to go then it's just a matter of the correct width for your sit bones. Finding such a saddle is the big challenge cos the ones that sell are the fancy ones. I think Selle has a trial period. I don't have prostrate problems ( yet ) but have suffered numb nuts from saddles with too much padding / lumpy profiles and a sore bum from textured saddles.

Spent a couple o hundred quid finding this out. Also found out you get FA on eBay for second hand saddles.
I am here. Where are you?
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

Hi Stubb-z,

If you are tempted by the Rido ones which are liked to above, I have a couple of the LT models which I don't use any more sitting in the garage and I am happy to send you one for a minimal fee (essentially cover the postage). I originally got on well with them, and then all of a sudden didn't. I have no idea why. They are in good condition.

No prostate issues for me, just a seemingly endless quest to find a comfy perch.

PM me if you are interested.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I gave up on Brooks saddles due to prostate discomfort. I went down the Madison Flux route and then had no problems.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Get in touch with Dilglove in the Uk
They are the UK distributors for selle smp who have done loads of research into the same issue.
They offer a trial period where if you don't get on with the test saddle you get your money back
So measure your sit bones have a look on line how to do it and get in touch with them .
I had same issue about 8 years ago and now only ride selle smp saddles with no padded shorts and i get on fine using either trk or lite 209 models
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Stubb-z wrote:Any fellow sufferers, or indeed ANYONE with any advice for me would be very, very gratefully received.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I've never suffered any symptoms, but years ago I read an article explaining the growing body of research pointing towards various long-term problems from traditional saddles. I therefore thought I'd have a go with one of the noseless saddles, and I found it a revelation and have now put them on all my bikes. (Although I've recently switched my mountain bike back to a standard saddle because the noseless ones I use are a bit wider than normal, so I find it near-impossible to slide past it to get my bum right down on the back wheel when doing steep downhill sections etc.)

The model I bought was in ISM Sport, and it's still going strong on my daily-use Hybrid after >10 years and many miles covered. They've since been renamed the ISM Adamo and cost around £70. However, I took a punt on some cheap Chinese copies on eBay for my two other bikes and they've worked out fine - probably won't be as long-lasting as the ISM, but still provide the same level of comfort.

I've banged on about them on here ever since, and have had the frustrating experience of being told that my saddle is either uncomfortable or makes the bike uncontrollable from people who've never used them. You have to be careful who you listen to - don't trust these 'my opinion trumps your experience' types any more than 'fan boys' who're over-invested in whatever they're waving the flag for. I've only ever tried this one style of noseless saddle because I've never felt the need to experiment with anything else - it simply works so I never have to worry about any discomfort, even if I'm covering 100 miles a day on tour.

Here's the Cheap Chinese copy I bought. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Bike-Saddle-No-Pressure-Bike-Seat-Split-Nose-Cushion-Bike-Pad/124017928867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 At that price, you might as well just buy one and see how you get on because you'll never get the internet to agree on a best solution to your problem. It is wide, but because you sit on it, rather than around it, that doesn't make any difference (unless, as mentioned, you're mountain biking down very steep slopes...)

By the way - did you get your problem diagnosed? Pain going from your backside down your legs sounds like sciatica - which might be caused by something entirely different, e.g. your posture on the bike.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Oh no

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Bi ... 2749.l2649

Tried one -- one circuit round the yard and it was straight off and in the bin. Scary -- if a bollok gets caught you'd have even more pain than you started with.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Cowsham wrote:Oh no

Tried one -- one circuit round the yard and it was straight off and in the bin. Scary -- if a bollok gets caught you'd have even more pain than you started with.

If that's your experience of using this saddle, then I can't contradict it, but the fear of getting a testicle caught is such an alien concept to me that I can't help suspecting your experience might be atypical. Gravity over time is known to take its toll in that area but I'd have thought a decent pair of pants would be a straightforward solution?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

DevonDamo wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Oh no

If that's your experience of using this saddle, then I can't contradict it, but the fear of getting a testicle caught is such an alien concept to me that I can't help suspecting your experience might be atypical. Gravity over time is known to take its toll in that area but I'd have thought a decent pair of pants would be a straightforward solution?

Try one then.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Cowsham wrote: Try one then.

Erm....

Someone's not reading the thread before posting...
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

DevonDamo wrote:
Cowsham wrote: Try one then.

Erm....

Someone's not reading the thread before posting...

Sorry my bad -- your the guy recommending the saddle with the hole leading to shearing pincers at the front :shock: -- regarding the pants, I wouldn't want to be trussed up like a stuffed turkey ( bad choice of words I know ) every time I go for a ride.