Headache after rides

Barrettone

Headache after rides

Post by Barrettone »

Increasingly regularly, I am getting headaches and feeling quite ill after 2 hour+ rides.
They feel like dehydration, but I drink regularly on the ride, with a rehydration tablet, and continue to drink water when I get home.
Any thoughts on what could be the cause and maybe the solution?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Headache after rides

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I thought 'liquid' too, try to drink more before leaving maybe
Tap water of course mostly. Not sure about taking any tablets

Awful hot weather could be a cause, best solution is to cycle less, cycle early or late, look forward to autumn
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Try continuing with your rehydration tablets & water for a while after the ride as well, and make sure to eat something. Classic suggestion is a light meal of protein and carbs. Bananas are good, too, and a banana & chocolate chip sandwich is great.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i would concur with the dehydration suggestion, i seem to need to put twice as much liquid in as i imagine i'd be losing, case in point, yesterday drank @ 2.5 litres during the ride and a further 3 or so after and i was still feeling bleh some 6 hours later.

Having said that, are you only getting the symptoms after riding/exercise? There may be other causes so don't rely on 'Dr Bob' here on CUK!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, if you're worried about the headaches I'd recommend talking to your GP.

Jonathan

PS: This won't be popular but... I know that it's a bit warm by UK standards, but how much fluid do people think that you can lose in 2h?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I went through a period of getting really bad headaches while out riding and I eventually twigged it was through glugging loads of grapefruit juice. That was a while ago: I only mention that because I've been on statins a while and that means no grapefruit juice as some of the medics on here will know.

While I've been typing, it's occurred to me that two of us on a long ride bought a couple of those litre tetrapaks of orange juice on a long hot ride and glugged them down (nothing else in the rural shop) We both went through a really rough patch within a few minutes.

I'd guess at dehydration unless there's something undiagnosed wrong with your bonce.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Overhydration?
Headache is one common symptom. Hydration tablets help you to absorb and retain water, which could be making things worse
Two hour ride 20C+ and I'd drink a litre of water with half the recommended dose of an energy powder (i.e. recommended for a 500ml bottle) during the ride, and then top up at home. YMMV
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

In current temperatures I'm drinking 2l per hour and still getting dehydrated.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

If you are not sure if you are getting dehydrated, look at your pee. If you pee is darker than normal, you are getting dehydrated.
If you are not peeing at all, ditto but more so!
Navara

Post by Navara »

I will drink 500ml every 20 or so miles unless it's really hot ie 27-30+ degrees.Then I can double it.I take one 500ml bottle with a Electrolite tablet and one just water.
I usually drink a couple of glasses before a ride and if I remember I'll have a milkshake when I get home.I used to use SIS Recovery but it's just a very expensive milkshake really!I don't suffer headaches but I do know the signs of dehydration.I drink a little and often rather than waiting until I think I need to.
I'd second what's already been said about consulting your GP if headaches after exercise are common!
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Worth considering the effects of the sun on your eyes too. Squinting for 2+ hours can give a bad head. Solutions : cap with a peak, good sunglasses with plenty of coverage, eye test and check your prescription.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

freeflow wrote:In current temperatures I'm drinking 2l per hour and still getting dehydrated.

How do you know, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Might be just the heat, new can not do anything about that, too much exposure, you could cycle less, early and late

Weather gets better soon, days are getting shorter already :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I agree that headache is a typical symptom of dehydration, but other things, like heat and bright sunlight, low potassium, tension, and other things can cause it.

Try sunglasses, a hat with a brim, eating bananas, and check your position on the bike. If you have weight on your hands, the headache could be due to tension.

Some people get exercise induced headaches. I gather it is due to the blood vessels expanding. Normal paracetamol & ibuprofen work on them, btu I think you can get a prescription for something the helps, too.

As for fluid intake, when I worked in the desert in hot conditions, we were told not to drink sugary drinks, like sports drinks, as this can make you lose more body fluid, but to drink water (not too cold) and add electrolyte drops or tablets to every third or fourth drink. They also said, at least one half litre per hour when exerting yourself. That's a rule of thumb, and an individual may need twice as much as that. Also, make sure that you are resonably well hydrated when you set off. I mean don't go several hours having breakfast food, and a mug of tea, and expect to ride your bike for several hours. Drink some water in the couple of hours before you leave, as well.

Lastly, such headaches can be an indication of a medical issue, so if you continue to have them, I would recommend seeing your GP.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom