Comparing my cycling performance to others

brychan

Comparing my cycling performance to others

Post by brychan »

I’m average or above or below average.

I’m aged 63
I’ve been road cycling for 3 years
I have had lung cancer for over 5 1/2 years
I suffered a focal seizure Jan 2019 where I lost partial mobility in my right lower leg because my cancer went to my brain
I am 6ft and weigh 15 stone 6 lbs around a 16lbs overweight
My road bike is a Cube Attain fully Carbon
I’ve rode over 6500 miles in 3 years
I cycle on average 70-100 miles a week barring weather and health problems
My average speed overall is 15.4 mph
My average overall heart rate is 151 bpm
My best circuit was 17.4 miles in 61 minutes
The rides I cycle on are 80% flat with an elevation of about 1600 ft

I would love to know as a lone rider am I average or below or higher than average for my age, experience and health condition

Can you give me your experienced opinion. Btw if I lost more weight would this drastically improve my distance & times
Last edited by Graham on 23 Sep 2020, 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title now reflects content
NUKe

Re: Where can I find out if .....

Post by NUKe »

Your stats are great for a healthy person, let alone somebody with your medical history. Keep going
NUKe

Post by roubaixtuesday »

If you pay for the subscription version of Strava you can see where you sit on a leaderboard for segments, overall and with gender, age and weight divisions.

Strava users, of course, are self selecting keen cyclists, so probably far above "average".

Your numbers look damn good to me (51yo, healthy)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'm 44, stroke survivor and average less than 10 mph having cycles all my life.
I wish I was as fit as you :wink:
Good going sir!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't think it is possible to compare one person with complex issues against others with complex issues, but I do think you are doing well in the face of adverse circumstances, and I like to think that I would take a similar approach if I had a serious health condition. Losing a bit of excess weight will always help you go faster. I should try that myself.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

You have ridden 6500 miles in 3 years or about 1100 days,which is six miles daily.Elsewhere you refer to longer daily rides.Are you riding in spells of good weather exclusively?Personally I would focus onn enjoyment and keep upping distance and frequency until yoiur interest drops,and get some arithmetic tuition!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A good big 'un is better than a good little "un
Except in the Tour de France :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A good big 'un is better than a good little "un
Except in the Tour de France :wink:

or anywhere Tom Pidcock rides! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

"brychan"

As above, I'd say your statistics are excellent. Weight loss would make a fair difference, though it's not as critical as general fitness etc. Have to admit I'm 6'1" and would regard anything over 12.5 stone as being flabby (NB. Despite being a keen swimmer, weights person and carrying relevant muscle)
Navara

Post by Navara »

I think given your circumstances I would not worry too much about speed/averages etc and just enjoy the fact that you are able to get out and ride!
Losing weight will make you a little faster but not that much.
I'm currently 5'6 and 13st.Two years ago I was 15st 4lbs.Although a little quicker it just feels easier in the hills now.One of the blokes at the CC is 6'5" and around 23st(down from almost 27st) and he's an absolute beast of a rider!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As most of us has said I think you're doing pretty well :)
But better gauge of fitness is with the time and effort.
Mph isn't always a very good indicator as the conditions vary greatly.
The best test is to change your heart rate into average percentage against your maximum heart rate?
Also fitness I regard as effort over say about three hours, you don't say how many hours your longest ride is?
The problem with using a specific heart rate number is that we are all different and some of us have low/high average heart rates.
But at any rate I think you're doing pretty well most of us would be very happy to be able to manage this even without your obvious health drawbacks.
Keep it up!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Yup, you are doing brilliantly.

In my case, having just turned 70, I ride for about 5 or 6 hours a week, normally, and this gets me about 60 - 70 miles, with one morning rise of about 25 - 30 miles (Sundays!). Without getting overtired (unless its very hot out there!) And personally I think that's enough, coupled with an hour or so walking each day with the other 'alf.

Plus occasionally longer rides or walks of course.

My speedo says my usual avg is about 10-11 mph which is fine by me to enjoy my surroundings. Since I've built back up to this level over the last few months my weight has gradually stabilised and then reduced, and I know that I can now go back to day rides from time to time when oppotunity presents.

And that's plenty for me, even without the OP's problems - so my advice would be - do what you are comfortable with once you've reached a reasonable level of fitness (it looks as if you have) and if the pedalling gets too hard, fit lower gears (mine are touring, about 22" - 108"). And enjoy the views and the rest stops. And at present take a flask of coffee and a snack with you until you can visit tea shops more often without risk of catching something or coming into contact with someone who has!

BTW after an accident a few years back I found that sitting in the saddle twirling the pedals around in a low gear did wonders for my recovery. (At first on the Brompton, with the saddle set a bit low)

Forget Strava, look at the view!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
cyclop

Re: Comparing my cycling performance to others

Post by cyclop »

Compared with me,68yr old with shrunken,rt. vastus medialis,pretty good.Compared to my mate Steve,70yr old,average.Compared to Chris,another cycling companion,not that good.Compared to John,ex fellrunner,mountaineer,kayaker,68yr old,averaging 12.5mph,very good......etc.etc.Do you see,pointless.How many 60yr olds cycling?,thousands.Many will be "better"(faster?further?)many will be slower.I have told myself often,"be happy with what you can do now;don,t look back at what you used to do,enjoy this ride,it could all end tomorrow"My last comment referred to a bulging disc incurred 2 yrs ago when I thought my active life was finished.Enjoy your next ride,be it a fast hour or a hilly 50 with a cafe stop .Don,t go on strava.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

I’m 66 and have cycled for all my life, your stats are very similar to mine, I only weigh 11 stone at 5’11” tall. 70 to 100 miles a week, average speed 15 mph, I probably do a bit more climbing but otherwise very similar.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Strava? I prefer stravaig, wind in the long gone hair, 10stone, 66 and counting. Every rideout's a smile...