Comparing my cycling performance to others

cyclop

Re: Comparing my cycling performance to others

Post by cyclop »

Tim Holman wrote:Strava? I prefer stravaig, wind in the long gone hair, 10stone, 66 and counting. Every rideout's a smile...

10stone! I,m jealous,being 13st at 68,but ,like you,every ride is a bonus.
ossie

Post by ossie »

brychan wrote:I’m average or above or below average.

I’m aged 63
I’ve been road cycling for 3 years
I have had lung cancer for over 5 1/2 years
I suffered a focal seizure Jan 2019 where I lost partial mobility in my right lower leg because my cancer went to my brain
I am 6ft and weigh 15 stone 6 lbs around a 16lbs overweight
My road bike is a Cube Attain fully Carbon
I’ve rode over 6500 miles in 3 years
I cycle on average 70-100 miles a week barring weather and health problems
My average speed overall is 15.4 mph
My average overall heart rate is 151 bpm
My best circuit was 17.4 miles in 61 minutes
The rides I cycle on are 80% flat with an elevation of about 1600 ft

I would love to know as a lone rider am I average or below or higher than average for my age, experience and health condition

Can you give me your experienced opinion. Btw if I lost more weight would this drastically improve my distance & times

I think thats excellent. You have 8 years on me and your average speed is pretty good. I'm 6 foot 1 " my weight is 14 stone 6, my average heart rate is 120, peaking to 150 on big hills. That said I've been cycling seriously for 15 years and healthwise I'm okay aprt from a dodgy back.

I went on the Government BMI calculator and they reckon my weight should be 13 stone 7....which just happens to be the weight I reach after a month of touring, cycling 8-10 hours a day, every day....so no chance in reality land.

Best of luck,..
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Fellow riders who rib me for being off the back may comment on it, but I refuse to accept it as criticism.
We all vary by our stamina and exercise tolerance and in reality there is a huge disparity.
For this reason, I would recommend riding solo.
I'm happier riding alone and don't have to struggle on hills just to keep up.
I also like to stop regularly, even taking a stove and brewing gear.
With longer summer days, what's the great need for tear arsing everywhere?
Group riding is thoroughly overplayed.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

From a settee, learning to walk again while recuperating from a broken leg, your stats look great....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

eileithyia wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 9:21am From a settee, learning to walk again while recuperating from a broken leg, your stats look great....
I somehow missed this. Sorry to hear & I hope your recovery is going well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Vorpal wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 3:55pm
eileithyia wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 9:21am From a settee, learning to walk again while recuperating from a broken leg, your stats look great....
I somehow missed this. Sorry to hear & I hope your recovery is going well.
No worries, am now zwifting again, and have had 2 shortish road rides which is actually easier than walking due to how tight the soft tissues are.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

cyclop wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 7:23pm Compared with me,68yr old with shrunken,rt. vastus medialis,pretty good.Compared to my mate Steve,70yr old,average.Compared to Chris,another cycling companion,not that good.Compared to John,ex fellrunner,mountaineer,kayaker,68yr old,averaging 12.5mph,very good......etc.etc.Do you see,pointless.How many 60yr olds cycling?,thousands.Many will be "better"(faster?further?)many will be slower.I have told myself often,"be happy with what you can do now;don,t look back at what you used to do,enjoy this ride,it could all end tomorrow"My last comment referred to a bulging disc incurred 2 yrs ago when I thought my active life was finished.Enjoy your next ride,be it a fast hour or a hilly 50 with a cafe stop .Don,t go on strava.
There's a lot of common sense in that.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Excellent stuff! I'm a young pup, marginally sub-30 yo, somewhere between 66-67kg at just shy of 5ft 11.
Only been cycling with any focus the last 13 or so weeks and am around 600 miles in 44 hours total - I started off CONSIDERABLY slower than I am now and, like yourself, I'm pushing to improve further.
I'm probably somewhere around the 15mph average with a bit of a steep climb on my commute home for the last mile.
I don't think it'll be much longer before I reach a 16mph average.
The take home for me is that I need to eat much, MUCH more...

I digress, I would love to be as fit as you in my latter years even without health complications. If I had those, your fitness would be a dream! Keep it going!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

brychan wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 12:31pm I’m average or above or below average.

I’m aged 63
I’ve been road cycling for 3 years
I have had lung cancer for over 5 1/2 years
I suffered a focal seizure Jan 2019 where I lost partial mobility in my right lower leg because my cancer went to my brain
I am 6ft and weigh 15 stone 6 lbs around a 16lbs overweight
My road bike is a Cube Attain fully Carbon
I’ve rode over 6500 miles in 3 years
I cycle on average 70-100 miles a week barring weather and health problems
My average speed overall is 15.4 mph
My average overall heart rate is 151 bpm
My best circuit was 17.4 miles in 61 minutes
The rides I cycle on are 80% flat with an elevation of about 1600 ft

I would love to know as a lone rider am I average or below or higher than average for my age, experience and health condition

Can you give me your experienced opinion. Btw if I lost more weight would this drastically improve my distance & times
I'm confused how you arrived at some of those figures.
"I've rode(sic) over 6500 miles in 3 years" Let's say 7,000 miles over 3 years and 50 weeks in a year. That is an average of 46miles a week which is nowhere near an average of 70-100 miles.
An average speed of 15.4mph is fast, but in flatlandia it's perhaps easier.
Average overall heart rate of 151bpm sounds alarming. Do you really mean average or maximum?
I think you are manipulating your figures slightly, but if it encourages you don't worry, and keep cycling.
I wouldn't worry about what anyone else does.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I thought I was pretty fit 100 miles in 6hr and 3hr marathons, then I turned in the telly to watch triathlete Alex yew sighed perhaps I'm not so fit!!

Every is relative I thought!!!

Cheers James