Dupuytren's contracture

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Dupuytren's contracture

Post by Mick F »

Phil.
Thank you.

As for emailing the health centre .........
Could have done this.
https://www.tamarvalleyhealth.org.uk/na ... -practice/

I have the phone number in my contacts list on my phone, so used that. I never opened my computer for it.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There is no email contact shown on my GP's website.

This is IMO a slightly different issue, but there are some things that may be better communicated in a written format.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:....
It could have all been done by email perhaps, but that option isn't available to my knowledge. Perhaps it is?

My GP practice (very distant from yours) seems to have big reservations about e-mail. They do publish an e-mail address but are quite slow responding and they never respond by e-mail (always phone or printed in post). I recently wanted a copy of blood test results and said to e-mail them as even if they went astray it's not an issue (results were all within range) but they wouldn't, printed for collection.

I've not checked but I do wonder if there is some global directives about NHS (incl. GP practices) using e-mail.

I've not had the same with private consultants (who are NHS consultants moonlighting) who seem very happy for their PAs to e-mail everything (at last to the patient).

I have no idea how widespread this is - just personal experience.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote:I've not checked but I do wonder if there is some global directives about NHS (incl. GP practices) using e-mail.

Not TTBOMK.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote:[

Start by talking (!) to your own practice.

Jonathan

:lol: :lol: I knew there was going to be a snag.
Our practice fell into the hands of the health board a couple of years ago as no doctors wanted it. At which point we thought communications would improve. We now have a web site and still waiting for anything else :(
The bomb which I’d place under a 30 yrs in post practice manager hasn’t be ignited.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote:Our practice fell into the hands of the health board a couple of years ago as no doctors wanted it.

What country is that in, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Best of luck with the referral, IME the referral was made but the hospital wouldn't make an appointment because we were approaching Winter/expected C19 flare-up and that was before this lockdown
I'm not quite sure how a chat (not respiratory-related) with one of a consultant's team in an office would impact C19 preparations. The appointment could have been made and cancelled at short notice if necessary, which I'd have understood more than the blanket ban
Hopefully you'll be luckier, but it might be worth considering going private if that's an option
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Our practice fell into the hands of the health board a couple of years ago as no doctors wanted it.

Thanks

Jonathan

Scotland Dumfries&Galloway
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

This thread had me wondering. I have probably incredibly minimal Dupuytren's contracture - just permanently swollen tendon on one finger/one palm. Not any problem and not diagnosed (never seen anybody about it).

But mine started very quickly at end of a couple of days hard digging with spade into stoney dry clay soil - where you'd have to list the spade vertically and slam it down into the ground, often meeting small flint stones ... and your palm "takes a beating".

And I wondered it potholey roads and hands resting on handle bars could be making cyclists more prone? In my case it was short term but violent and it's only very mild but just as footballers seem at higher risk of dementia (through long term repeated heading the ball?) might long term cyclists be at greater risk of palm tendon damage?

Ian
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Yes, Dupuytrens can be triggered by sudden trauma. The good news is it is less likely to spread to other parts of the hands unless you have a genetic predisposition to it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Scotland Dumfries&Galloway

Thanks. Recruitment is difficult everywhere.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:I'm suffering with this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture

That's not a bad source, but there's some disagreement about when it's worth intervening.

NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dupuytrens-contracture/

And one Cochrane Review on the evidence around surgery:
https://www.cochrane.org/CD010143/MUSKE ... se-fingers
and the plain language summary:
https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010143.pub2/full

Jonathan

PS: For an excellent piece of fictional writing about the related superstitions I recommend The Hundred Days:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hundred_Days_(novel)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thank you Johnathan.
I'm realistic about all this.

I'm in no pain, life goes on as normal, I can grip handlebars and brakes :D and hold a glass of beer :D and the steering wheel in the car. No problems with hand tools, paint brushes or even the iron or the vacuum cleaner. The list is endless about the lack of any problems.

I can eat, I can drink beer, so what's the problem? :lol:

Main issues - though not problems - are face washing, stroking the dog :D and putting gloves on, especially cycling mitts.

As I say, I'm realistic. Therefore I know the contracture will get worse. How long before it becomes too bad, is anyone's guess. The Health Centre and the doctor are on the case, so I'm going to wait for further info and a chat with people face-to-face ......... or is it face-to-hands?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes... it's precisely that sort of problem.

Jonathan
CathM

Post by CathM »

Quote: "As I say, I'm realistic. Therefore I know the contracture will get worse."

It might or might not get worse. My husband (of E Scottish, Yorkshire and N German heritage so quite possibly a lot of Norse in there) has Dupuytren's in his left pinky. It bent to 90 degrees at the knuckle several years ago but has not worsened since, and his main complaint, like yours, is the difficulty in putting on cycling gloves. He was strongly advised against future amputation, as the pinky is your strongest and most useful finger for gripping - I believe it was a Samurai punishment, to amputate a little finger, as you can't use a sword effectively without it.