Sciatica!!!

Navrig

Re: Sciatica!!!

Postby Navrig » 27 Nov 2020, 2:43pm

Keep moving and gently stretch the painful buttock.

Best description for that stretch is the pretzel. You'll find it on YouTube.

This one.

https://youtu.be/oO5l4D1kg8E

Phileas

Postby Phileas » 25 Dec 2020, 9:03am

I’ve had a bout of sciatic trouble recently.

For me it’s always been a mainly a lower back, intermittent stabbing pain type of thing that fades over time but last week I got a new symptom - a shooting pain down my leg followed by a continuous dull pain that worsened when standing. The following day the pain subsided but left me with numbness on the bottom of my left foot which I’ve had since but the worse thing is that I’ve lost some mobility - it seems I can’t walk or cycle normally.

The essence of the problem is that I can’t raise my weight onto my left toes, which sounds almost trivial but it affects my ability to walk uphill and press down on a pedal.

The question is, will normal usage return or, if not, will I adapt?

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 25 Dec 2020, 10:01am

Phileas wrote:I’ve had a bout of sciatic trouble recently.

For me it’s always been a mainly a lower back, intermittent stabbing pain type of thing that fades over time but last week I got a new symptom - a shooting pain down my leg followed by a continuous dull pain that worsened when standing. The following day the pain subsided but left me with numbness on the bottom of my left foot which I’ve had since but the worse thing is that I’ve lost some mobility - it seems I can’t walk or cycle normally.

The essence of the problem is that I can’t raise my weight onto my left toes, which sounds almost trivial but it affects my ability to walk uphill and press down on a pedal.

that is a red light, esp the mobility as that could be motor loss - see a doctor

probably a slipped disc or something, what side of the sole of your foot? if it is the side with the big toe then it could be L5 , the side with the little toe then S1. Do an nternet search for "Dermatome Map"

Yes it probably will go back to normal (about 2 years for me) It is a horrible thing, best of luck, and do see a medical professional.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Dec 2020, 10:09am

Phileas wrote:I’ve had a bout of sciatic trouble recently.

Sorry to hear that.

NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sciatica/

That includes when to talk to your GP and when to contact emergency services.

And:

"Sciatica usually gets better in 4 to 6 weeks, but it can sometimes last longer."

Happy Christmas, apart from that.

Jonathan

Phileas

Postby Phileas » 25 Dec 2020, 11:05am

Yes, I’ve seen the NHS advice. It does say 4~6 weeks recovery but I’m aware nerve damage can become “permanent”.

The numbness is on the little-toe side - as far as I can tell, that corresponds S1.

I’ve been on a very short cycle ride which feels odd but I think I will be able fo cycle to work - although I don’t yet know if I’ll still be able to mash up hill on my single-speed.

I can tell I’m already partially adapting because I’m getting mild muscle pain and tiredness in my leg which I assume is due to my body compensating for the mobility loss.