Would you take a vaccine against CV? Vote now please!

Would you like to be vaccinated against CV soon?

Yes
78%
Tend to yes
3%
Tend to no
1%
No
6%
Never
4%
Don't know yet, maybe later
7%

Total votes: 209

Oldjohnw

Re: Would you take a vaccine against CV? Vote now please!

Post by Oldjohnw »

My 63 year old wife received a letter this morning inviting her to book an appointment. The nearest centre is 65 miles away so she will await her own GP.

Her 61 year old sister has just indicated she will decline the vaccination. She says, simultaneously, that she has too many illnesses and will depend on her own immune system. She and her entire immediate family are deniers/conspiracy theorists. Their daughter does not believe that there was a moon landing.
John
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Oldjohnw wrote:My 63 year old wife received a letter this morning inviting her to book an appointment. The nearest centre is 65 miles away so she will await her own GP.

Is you/her GP doing vaccinations? Mine isn't so when my turn comes it'll be difficult/impossible.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:My 63 year old wife received a letter this morning inviting her to book an appointment. The nearest centre is 65 miles away so she will await her own GP.

Is you/her GP doing vaccinations? Mine isn't so when my turn comes it'll be difficult (or use Sputnik from eBay?).

But is there a GP site which is networked for vaccination with your own practice?

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Psamathe wrote:

Is you/her GP doing vaccinations? Mine isn't so when my turn comes it'll be difficult/impossible.

Ian

Yes he/she is. I got mine there. I received the same letter and phone call from surgery on the same day a couple of weeks ago.
John
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

According to various reports almost 25% of NHS staff in London are not getting vaccinated:-
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/q ... r-BB1e5M13

Sack them all!(I'm joking) but I bet there's plenty who would call for this.It wouldn't harm the NHS to sack 41,000 workers in the capital would it,it's not like the NHS is short staffed or anything!?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Is you/her GP doing vaccinations? Mine isn't so when my turn comes it'll be difficult (or use Sputnik from eBay?).

But is there a GP site which is networked for vaccination with your own practice?

Jonathan

There was earlier but it isn't coming-up on the list of places available to book - and you can only book one of the sites offered on the booking system. And in effect tried more than once. GP's own web site is somewhat out of date (but you can't expect them to be making updates at the rate Gov., etc. are changing given they are not involved in the vaccinations).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, Ian.

With that distance to a centre I'd check with my own GP about other options. I don't think that will always appear in the national online system, but I could be wrong.

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:According to various reports almost 25% of NHS staff in London are not getting vaccinated:-

Sack them all!(I'm joking) but I bet there's plenty who would call for this.It wouldn't harm the NHS to sack 41,000 workers in the capital would it,it's not like the NHS is short staffed or anything!?

I bet most of them will change their minds when they realise how difficult it could be doing nice things like going on holiday without proof of vaccination.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

pwa wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:According to various reports almost 25% of NHS staff in London are not getting vaccinated:-

I bet most of them will change their minds when they realise how difficult it could be doing nice things like going on holiday without proof of vaccination.

Do you really think that will happen?
I would think many,like me,won't change their minds regardless.
All this talk about 'proof' of vaccination and 'covid' passports is just talk.I really can't see it happening and if certain places were daft enough to try it I doubt it lasting long.
Even if a 'proof of vaccination' were required just how long do you think it will be before fakes flood the market?Fake Passports,licences,IDs etc are all readily available and more importantly usable .You can buy 'proof' of anything It's just too easy!
Once the 'majority' have been vaccinated,or rather the number the Govt decides is adequate,all the restrictions will be phased out and this will all be in the past.If they stick to the June 21st date(if)then by August all the beaches will be full and C-19 will be all but forgotten.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:
pwa wrote:

All this talk about 'proof' of vaccination and 'covid' passports is just talk.I really can't see it happening and if certain places were daft enough to try it I doubt it lasting long.....

I suspect there are so many competing/conflicting aspects that it is impossible to say. There is clearly a lot of pressure for the pubs to open-up and to do that without more waves and lockdowns needs something (and vaccine passports would help).

On radio the other day (Today program) they were interviewing a theatre manager and Lloyd-Webber and manager said that "on-entry testing" would not be practical for everybody in an audience but would be possible for some (e.g. those without vaccine passports). (Also said they can cope without opening the theatre bar in the interval and it's as much about getting actors back working as profits for the theatres).

It's very easy for a vaccine hesitant individual to respond "No" to a poll (probably remotely over the telephone or internet) but a very different question when considering their own freedoms, the safety of their family and risks of long-Covid, etc. - so an easy anonymous "No" may easily change to being vaccinated.

And then along comes a variant which has the potential to change all calculations in the course of a few press reports. And with the UK's late, limited and leaky border controls the UK certainly does seem "open for business" as far as SARS-CoV-2 is concerned (even though they are apparently "World Beating" border controls). So we could arrive at the perfect solution here only for it all to be blown away 1 hr later. But that does not mean discussing the different aspects is not useful or interesting (and that perfect solution might not be voided 1 hr later or might accommodate the Reepham variant (Newsbiscuit reference)).

An interesting discussion as there are so many aspects including ethical and freedoms in our society.

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:
pwa wrote:

All this talk about 'proof' of vaccination and 'covid' passports is just talk.I really can't see it happening and if certain places were daft enough to try it I doubt it lasting long.
Even if a 'proof of vaccination' were required just how long do you think it will be before fakes flood the market?Fake Passports,licences,IDs etc are all readily available and more importantly usable .You can buy 'proof' of anything It's just too easy!
Once the 'majority' have been vaccinated,or rather the number the Govt decides is adequate,all the restrictions will be phased out and this will all be in the past.If they stick to the June 21st date(if)then by August all the beaches will be full and C-19 will be all but forgotten.

The EU are working on it right now. I'd be surprised if other parts of the world didn't follow suit. But if you like staycations you will be okay.
CJ

Post by CJ »

There are no vaccination centres in the whole district of Derbyshire Dales, so I booked my appointment at a place and time where I could combine it with another errand near Derby.
My wife being in the next age bracket but two categories lower down the priority list (after 7.3 million more vulnerable people of all ages) I hadn't expected to be able to get us both jabbed in one visit - though that would save us another 40-mile drive. On the morning (yesterday) of my appointment however, her invitation arrived in the post. It was then too late to book her in the same day, but we took her letter along anyway, on the off-chance they might have a spare dose and enough time to fit her in too. And thanks to one or two no-shows from earlier in the day, they were very happy so to do!

It would seem that anyone in their 60s who can get to one of the larger vaccination centres, is being encouraged to do just that. Whilst at the same time, local GPs concentrate on the 7.3 million less mobile and more vulnerable people of all ages. So if your circumstances are similar, it's worth asking.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I was heartened when I went for my jab, to see an old guy turning up for his, on his bike. It’s not the most easily accessible place if you don’t have a car, so well done to him.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ChrisDay

Post by ChrisDay »

Well done everyone for doing the right thing for their health, their family’s health and for the whole community. There is such a thing as society!
It is possible to get too embroiled in debates with the relatively few who turn their back on the vaccine, despite the great science and then great NHS delivery and forget to celebrate that the uk has brilliant public confidence in the vaccines compared to many countries, and a brilliant NHS (not perfect, but still brilliant) that is getting the vaccine out and death rates down.
Well done all!
Chris