Would you take a vaccine against CV? Vote now please!

Would you like to be vaccinated against CV soon?

Yes
78%
Tend to yes
3%
Tend to no
1%
No
6%
Never
4%
Don't know yet, maybe later
7%

Total votes: 209

Cyril Haearn

Would you take a vaccine against CV? Vote now please!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is talk, really $p€culation about a vaccine against the virii being available soon, I heard talk of 90% effectiveness for a year, but no-one knows, we know even less about side-effects, long-term effects, whether the regimes might try to 'encourage' us to get treated

You have one vote, it may be changed
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 15 Dec 2020, 3:49pm, edited 2 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonineaston

Re: Would you take a vaccine against CV?

Post by simonineaston »

The subject of vaccination seems to stir the conspiracy-believing beast in a high percentage of folk, so hang on to your hat, Cyril! :wink:
Dunno why - probably its special mix of medical (we always think of doctors as "quacks", don't we?), the involvement, usually, of da guberment, their air of mystery, requiring faith (you never ever know if the reason you didn't get sick is 'cos you had a jab - what was in it anyway??), etc. etc..
Personally, I believe that the vaccine is simply a ruse to get us all full of Soma... pass the tin foil hats, please!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Post by mjr »

My answer to the poll depends what you mean by "soon" - I would like them to vaccinate likely superspreaders first, then those at highest risk of catching it and those at highest risk of dying from it... and I suspect none of those are me, based on current thinking.

simonineaston wrote:Personally, I believe that the vaccine is simply a ruse to get us all full of Soma... pass the tin foil hats, please!

I think I'll notice if they start putting a handlebar in the syringe! ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

If it is all going well three to six months after it is introduced then yes. Me and the wife are more than happy to keep self isolating until the spring so not much point in taking it until then.

If we had lives where we had a lot of contact with others then I would risk it sooner - I would guess taking the vaccine will be less of a risk thhan catching Covid.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I thought vaccines took years to develop, were tested on poor animals, then on a few human volunteers

Not a few months
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

simonineaston wrote:Dunno why - probably its special mix of medical (we always think of doctors as "quacks", don't we?),

Maybe but I certainly don’t associate doctors with the development of vaccines. I also don’t expect doctors to have an extensive knowledge other than their health board is probably offering an incentive to reach a certain percentage take up.
Vaccines I associate with wealthy pharma companies with money men putting pressure on scientists to develop something they can sell. I also imagine that pressure is really high right now with world wide sales on offer. Being rushed what could possibly go wrong. :lol:
Moving this vaccine around at minus 70 degrees must be a challenge in itself. Beyond my freezer anyway :?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pfizer's statement on efficacy et al:
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

UK JCVI's current advice on prioritisation. This is NOT a plan or Government policy:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-25-september-2020/jcvi-updated-interim-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination

Cyril Haearn wrote:I thought vaccines took years to develop, were tested on poor animals, then on a few human volunteers

Not a few months

As extensively discussed in other threads:
1 The technology now being used for development of vaccines is completely different.
2 The effort going into this is unprecedented.
3 There are multiple candidate vaccines being developed and tested separately.
4 Production of several has started at large scale before evidence of efficacy and safety. That's a big financial risk but working in parallel will save a lot of time.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote:Moving this vaccine around at minus 70 degrees must be a challenge in itself.

It is, but the requirements are very well understood and we've had lots of time to prepare.

And the UK doesn't have many remote areas that are difficult to access and does have excellent transport systems. (Those are both by international comparison.)

I'm much more worried about some plan to outsource, not involve the appropriate experts, and keep the details and contracts hidden than I am about the real logistical problems.

But at least today's statements involve GPs.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 10 Nov 2020, 10:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'd heard the 90% effective but not heard "90% for a year". I wonder how they got the "for a year" from such limited duration testing. Also, on the Pfizer one (announced at 90% effective) I felt numbers were quite small to get a solid 90% (but I've not done stats on their numbers if they've been published).

I do wonder about distribution of this Pfizer vaccine given that storage needs -80℃ and I understood that most UK GP practices don't have fridges that cold so expect a shortage of such fridges (maybe Johnson could don a hardhat and create "Project Iceberg" passing loads of public funds to his mates in secret un-bid deals).

But there will likely be others before long.

Would I take one: yes. I'm not a massive fan of taking loads of pills (I get a headache and I wait for it to clear without reaching for pills) but I do get vaccinated as per recommendations for travel, etc.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote:I'd heard the 90% effective but not heard "90% for a year". I wonder how they got the "for a year" from such limited duration testing.

Yes. Where does that come from? How could anyone know yet?

I'd guess that it's a mash-up between the actual data from Pfizer and some extrapolation from studies of immunity with other vaccines and after infections with this virus. Or possibly a complete misunderstanding. Yet again showing why quoting sources is so helpful.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I thought vaccines took years to develop, were tested on poor animals, then on a few human volunteers
Not a few months
Only goes to show what we can do when we all try real hard - heck - maybe we could all try real hard to deal with climate change!! Haha only joking...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I want it warmed up before injection. :shock:

Hardy but not that hardy!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

But Boris (and Van Tam) both said it's unlikely the vaccine will be available until AFTER this 2nd wave, and already I've overheard folk saying "it's ok now they've got a vaccine". Doubtless these same people will be ignoring the guidelines and hugging each other in congratulation in the coming weeks. :(
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And one of those understands the issues...

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paulatic probably knows more than most of us about injections, having treated thousands of sheep?

It really is speculation, unknown unknowns as a wise PotUS once said