Heart Rate Concern

kinesisrider

Heart Rate Concern

Postby kinesisrider » 11 Nov 2020, 8:55pm

Hi everyone,

I recently bought myself a HR monitor and I am a bit concerned about the values that I am getting out. I am currently 18 years old and recently got back on the bike in April/May. I never really did any physical exercise for about 3 years.

I would say I am at OK fitness right now and the other day I did a 37 mile ride averaging 180w, pretty easy pace. I could talk to my mate the whole way round with no issues and averaged 165bpm. He on the other hand averaged 138bpm. We were both going the exact same pace and also were talking the whole way round and both seem very similar fitness.

I also did a 83 mile ride at similar pace on the weekend and averaged 174bpm.

I am quite concerned because this seems really high.

Anyone think it is something to be concerned about?

gbnz

Re: Heart Rate Concern

Postby gbnz » 12 Nov 2020, 5:24pm

kinesisrider wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently bought myself a HR monitor and I am a bit concerned about the values that I am getting out. I am currently 18 years old and recently got back on the bike in April/May. I never really did any physical exercise for about 3 years.

I would say I am at OK fitness right now and the other day I did a 37 mile ride averaging 180w, pretty easy pace. I could talk to my mate the whole way round with no issues and averaged 165bpm. He on the other hand averaged 138bpm. We were both going the exact same pace and also were talking the whole way round and both seem very similar fitness.

I also did a 83 mile ride at similar pace on the weekend and averaged 174bpm.

I am quite concerned because this seems really high.

Anyone think it is something to be concerned about?

No. Cardio vascular fitness levels drop quickly without adequate exercise and likewise rapidly improve with exercise. It's quite possible you've sufficient muscle strength to "push" your bike at speeds in excess of your cardio fitness! Thus the high heart rate. If you do that 83 mile ride five times a week as a matter of routine (Nb. A 20 mile short route may be more realistic!), retain records, in 4-6 weeks time you'll have noticed a substantial reduction in heart rate, even whilst your avg speed is increasing.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 12 Nov 2020, 5:27pm

Does the rate drop quickly after exercise, and is your pulse always regular?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 12 Nov 2020, 9:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 12 Nov 2020, 9:04pm

Data from 2 rides is just that, data from 2 rides! Comparing to someone else is rather pointless too, there are so many variables involved.

More rides, more data are needed before you can draw any conclusions, as has been suggested, your fitness, at least to start, will improve and with it your HR should reduce, if it doesn't, there may be some issue or it it might just mean you are ramping up your efforts.

HRM's are a useful health tool for spotting trends, with experience you'll be able to spot a cold before you exhibit symptoms, adjust your riding to find your comfort level and a lot more besides.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Lodge

Postby Lodge » 13 Nov 2020, 9:55pm

You don’t seem abnormal - see an adjacent post where I included a graph from a study of over 3000 healthy people. Your average is well below your likely maximum.

Collect your personal data and plot average heart rate for the same circuit over the weeks. There will be variation due to factors such as the weather, temperature, how you feel, etc, but a trend to improvement is very likely to manifest itself. If you are a maths nerd you could even apply some statistical tests to prove it to yourself! I did this a while back and detected a statistically significant improvement over a period of some months. Personally I find plotting and analysing data helps drive me outside to ride. But then I’m not just keen on cycling but also a scientist and maths nerd (OK I admit it).

Now, towards the other end of the age spectrum (I’m 63) after a lifetime of cycling my HRmax is greater than the standard formula but within the norm for heathy people, and my resting heart rate is down to 40 bpm. Whatever you do, have fun!

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 14 Nov 2020, 8:57am

Could heart rates be a bit like bikefitting, with a lot of variation, no need to worry about being a bit outwith the 'norm'?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Nov 2020, 9:34am

You are concerned enough to post. Go and discuss it with your GP. Come back and tell us how you are.