Struggling to get on the bike

Rock bus

Struggling to get on the bike

Post by Rock bus »

Anyone else really struggling for motivation at the moment? I know this time of year is always tough but feels even worse at moment.
I can normally get myself to do one night on trainer and then weekend ride but last few weeks I’ve done literally nothing :oops:
I’m working from home due to COVID so should have more time but weirdly I’m finding it even harder.
Anyone in same boat?
Or even better anyone with any tips.
Jdsk

Re: Struggling to get on the bike

Post by Jdsk »

Do you have a riding buddy or could you find one?

How about an online promise with someone else... these can work very well, with or without token penalty payments.

Jonathan
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
In general terms the weather hasn't been great over the past month and I think that I'm averaging nearer to one ride per week rather than three because I don't see the sense in getting a soaking on a longer ride
Commuting has been a bit dodgy because of the carpet of wet leaves and farm vehicle clag on the roads around here. I have to ride both ways in the dark, which doesn't make spotting the problems early any easier, and the short days aren't great either
The important thing is that you get out, even if it's on foot, and clear your head after a period WFH, ideally into the woods rather than the town. Don't feel guilty about not cycling because that just increases the pressure and we all get stale
Where are you? Someone here will have a new route or a slant on cycling that may help inject a bit of interest, e.g. visiting churches, bridges, etc, when you feel ready
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I always have a problem as the weather turns cold and wet, this year I've done 2 things to at least keep my leg muscles in cycling mode (is that what you call it?)

1) promised my daughter a per-mile contribution to her support group for every mile I rack up in November

2) Ordered a basic trainer to put use in the garage, and have a pile of s/h books to read while using it!

All supplemented by daily walks of a couple of miles. When CV stops interefering I'll be able to go back to using NT cafes on Sunday mornings. A small paperback, a pot of tea and a scone being a regular treat.

I'm lucky in that we've recently moved to the outskirts of Brum from the suburbs,so there's more scope for walking locally, with several caffs/pubs within a 2 mile radius, which helps. Plus I'm now within 5 or 6 miles of my sons and daughters homes (and therefore my grandchildrens homes) i.e. comfortable cycling distance for me.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

tim-b wrote:In general terms the weather hasn't been great over the past month...The important thing is that you get out,b

+ 1. My mileage had dropped during September/October. But with gyms being closed, suddenly realized my mileage was back up, increasing mileage resulting in mileage increasing at an exponential rate :wink:.

Habit is the core issue - rather like getting back on a decent diet, once you're past the first several days, the mileage/decent diet/weight loss or whatever simply increases by itself.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

mjr

Post by mjr »

I could have sworn I already replied to this. Has a similar discussion been deleted recently?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Often the rides/walks i struggle for motivation for turn out to be some of the best!

It's easy to become a sloth - its cold, its wet, i ought to do x instead - been there, done that. i've found that having some sort of target helps, an event, a distance and telling others of the target also gives a bit more stimulus to things as its harder to renege on things without losing face! The target does need to be doable though otherwise that in itself becomes an excuse.

As others have said, it doesn't really matter what you do but do something, walk to the papershop, ride around the block, anything is better than nothing. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

A target the clue for me. Knowing miles to end September I then calculated an achievable year end figure that corresponds to a meaningful number - in this case to have averaged 120 miles per week! Means I can reduce a little below that in lousy weather. If necessary I allow one hour on trainer to count as 10 miles.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Fill the gap in your cycling year with something else. Walking or power walking will maintain some basic fitness, and jogging will take it to a higher level. These can be done in half hour stints right from your doorstep. Resume the cycling when you feel like it.