Home gym - what would you recommend?

Tangled Metal

Re: Home gym - what would you recommend?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Actually my best buy right now might be an exercise book fit m for using fixed weight dumbbells and kettlebells efficiently as I have a few of those. Or a website. Any suggestions there?

In the absence of anywhere with what I might want in stock perhaps the knowledge to use what I actually have already.

I really want a good rowing machine but years of being uncomfortable using a c2 rower in gyms puts me off. I used to use them a lot. Then the seat started to cause trapped nerve like pain when using it. I'm. Not sure if there's a way around that. Not like you can replace the seat like a bike saddle. Are all rower seats effectively the same?

Perhaps the concept 2 dynamic might be better since the seat moves as the legs move creating a kind of less pronounced movement overall. More like physical rowing on the water apparently.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

One of my relatives has a high-stress job, he's installed a punch bag in his garage!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Most exercise machines just gather dust, i wouldn't 'waste' money on any of them.

You already have some weights, i'd just get an incline bench and a step and you'll be set. You can tackle core strength and general fitness with that so unless you are trying to become Atlas thats the lot. Set up a circuit, include free exercise like star jumps + press ups, step ups, arm+leg curls, sit ups, leg raises etc, etc - i'm sure there are plenty of you tube gurus with training plans, or just check out British cycling for more bike orientated set ups.

have 'fun' :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pete75 wrote:Bought a multi gym recently. It seems at the moment they are in great demand .

Yes I just got rid of mine -- or rather one I bough for the sons -- none of them used it and it was pretty good quality -- sold it for a quarter of what I paid for it and was glad to see the back of it. I've got my garage back at last. :D
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jeepers just looked at your link -- it's the exact same only branded everlast -- £500! Holy ++++ little wonder the the guy was pleased to get it !
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

If your using free weights by the way always remember rule no. 1

Never ever ever ever drop a weight. Always let it down gently --

Rule 2 if you can't lift it ease the pressure off gently.

This simple rule saved me from injury in all the years I did competition weightlifting.

A new one I learned the hard way
Rule 3 breath on lifts never hold your breath ( I opted for breathing in as then you are not tempted to hold while pushing. Probably only applies on extreme power lifting but I always do it this way ever since my collapsed lung 40 years ago
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

As a teenager I got bought a weights set by my parents. I didn't think at the time but it was then saying I need to bulk up a bit. It got very little use but I do remember reading the instructions and training guide. It said breath out on the lift and in on the lower. I've always tried to do that.

Which leads me into motivation. I've got those cheaper Aldi rubber coated dumbbells and their kettlebells. I simply cannot get into using them. Weights simply do not do it for me. I know they're not enough. However I like gadgets and more engineered kit. I used to gym it a lot and always on resistance machines and CV machines. Never free weights. Although I did like balance balls, bosu balls and balance boards. I can't afford them all and won't have the space. So other equipment is needed.

CV kit like rowing machine works the whole body while being a very efficient exercise for CV health. A weights bench or multigym will be great for strength training and toning but not good for CV health. Really need both but that'll be later. Which is better to start with CV machines or strength training machine?

Whatever is best i know simple isn't best for my motivation. Weights and a bench are simply too boring for me.
Billy007

Post by Billy007 »

Tangled Metal wrote:As a teenager I got bought a weights set by my parents. I didn't think at the time but it was then saying I need to bulk up a bit. It got very little use but I do remember reading the instructions and training guide. It said breath out on the lift and in on the lower. I've always tried to do that.

Which leads me into motivation. I've got those cheaper Aldi rubber coated dumbbells and their kettlebells. I simply cannot get into using them. Weights simply do not do it for me. I know they're not enough. However I like gadgets and more engineered kit. I used to gym it a lot and always on resistance machines and CV machines. Never free weights. Although I did like balance balls, bosu balls and balance boards. I can't afford them all and won't have the space. So other equipment is needed.

CV kit like rowing machine works the whole body while being a very efficient exercise for CV health. A weights bench or multigym will be great for strength training and toning but not good for CV health. Really need both but that'll be later. Which is better to start with CV machines or strength training machine?

Whatever is best i know simple isn't best for my motivation. Weights and a bench are simply too boring for me.

You don't need any equipment except perhaps an exercise mat and YT. I get by with a large towel. There are thousands of channels on YT with svelt and ripped guys, gals and those in between doing exercise routines and programmes that will get you fit and ripped in 8 weeks. The callisthenics channels are my favourite as you only use your own body weight in resistance exercises. Occasionally if you need weight you can use a small rucksack with books, (yes what are books?) in or heavy tins of food. I would not waste money on a gym or rowing machine. You are falling into the trap - I need this bit of kit to be able to achieve the fitness I want. Rubbish. Just watch some of these channels and get exercising every day or every other day at first. And ditch the sugar in your diet as well to lose the belly and visceral fat.