Bath, shower, both, neither? Vote now please!

Bath, shower, both, neither?

Bath
15%
Shower
64%
Bath Plus: whirlpool
3%
Both
16%
Neither
3%

Total votes: 74

leftpoole

Re: Bath, shower, both, neither?

Post by leftpoole »

Graham wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Who voted 'neither', and why? What other cleansing methods are available?

And Lo it came to pass that Graham needed a better solution to wash the squalid filth from his disgusting torso.

Considerations :-
1) How to wash effectively, without wasting precious resources
2) How to stay comfortable - while washing - when the internal house temperature at a healthy & eco-friendly 14 degrees C.
3) At times of drought to preserve any "waste water" for watering the garden ( or as bouillon for a soup base :wink: )
4) Minimise the water vapour released into the house. ( A powerful bathroom fan has its trade-offs. i.e. you can get a lot of water vapour out, but you also dump a lot of warm air outside. . . . . )

Baths are an eco-disaster !
Showers are wasteful.
. . . but a standing washdown with a basin-full of kettle-boiled water does me nicely. I keep warm with all the washing, scrubbing and acrobatics.

When I want to keep the waste water, I put the hot water in one of those 30 ltr big plastic bucket things and have the washdown in the shower-cubicle - standing in the bucket. . . .. a variation on the tin bath of yesteryear . . . .

Methinks he jests?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think he is telling the truth, he has described his unorthodox* lifestyle before
Surely one should not take a phone-shaped thing in the bath? I take several books instead plus coffee :wink:

* a good word I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Surely one should not take a phone-shaped thing in the bath?

Are you worried about the 'phone or the bather?

Shirley

PS: It's a cable connected to the mains (or possibly an old 'phone system) that is actually dangerous.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Ahem, . . . . methinks the "unorthodox" needs to to become the norm p.d.q. . . .. otherwise . . . . . < I'll leave you to ponder that one >.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Nowt like a really good soak with top ups.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Wondering whether I should have extended poll: are you a morning or evening bather, or both?
I prefer mornings :wink:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

30 Second shower man ...
Rub shampoo / shower gel into hair, pits, bits and crack while water warms up.
Into the shower wash and rinse all areas as previously detailed .... out and towel ...

Comes from the days when you where in a queue 30 men long for a shower after days and days without washing ...

It is the way .....

Always mornings .... SSS ........
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Wondering whether I should have extended poll: are you a morning or evening bather, or both?
I prefer mornings :wink:

If working then evening/after work.
If not I'll shower when I get up,unless I'm riding then I'll shower when I get back,then I'll shower around 18:00.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Tangled Metal wrote:There was a survey report that 90% of the population only shower or bathe once a week despite claiming to do so more often. Oh and they do it wrong too. Don't ask me what they're doing wrong.

There is an old Aussie saying "I am as dry as a Pommie's towel!

Mike
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plus One, I am a pommie/pommy :wink:
Wife: dear husband, I have sadly had to release Mrs Tidy our cleaning lady. She has been stealing monogrammed towels from our bathroomS. Again
Husband: oh no!
Wife: indeed, two 'worldstar hotel' towels and three from 'rich twits cruises' have gone
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 8 Dec 2020, 6:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Strange goings on in here these covid days, ...me...warm power shower every morning followed immediately by a power shower cold. very hot bath after a cold 30 miler with a full pint glass of salt dissolved in it, followed immediately with either 2lt jug of cold water many many times or in summer straight into the shower for full on cold until I'm zinging.. been at the cold water since away at school days, so both voted for.. A mate whose dad was a very successful potato merchant, small tight wee man, I met him often when I was calling with Jim my mate, winter and summer he wore the all in one reddish pink underwear favored by cowboys, the type with the button trap back door lol.. Jim said he bathed twice a year whether he needed it or not...the story came to me when Jim borrowed a pair of said drawers to do a fancy dress party one Boxing night...too much info me thinks... will
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

A great advert for boarding schools.Those combinations remain popular in towns like Penistone,Batley and similar in West Riding,where dripping sold by kilo in good butchers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mumbojumbo wrote:A great advert for boarding schools.Those combinations remain popular in towns like Penistone,Batley and similar in West Riding,where dripping sold by kilo in good butchers.

You see, Yorkshire is a modern place selling dripping by the kilo, over in't west o' Pennines they still use lbs & ozs! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

My own bathing regime has been knocked sideways by the Covid outbreak.
Before it kicked off, I was a regular at a Spa pool and twice weekly, I would relax in the steam room and jacuzzi, with a good few lengths of the pool.
I am turned seventy and the aches and stiffness of ageing were greatly reduced.
I do still have a bath, but it's not the same and I've noticed the skin around my knees just peels away.
The jury is out over the benefits of regular immersion and soaping and many people are not convinced by the modern obsession with cleanliness.
Commercial interests and the herd mentality have poured millions of gallons of hot water and detergents into our water courses, with environmental consequences ignored and poo pooed!
I am convinced of the benefits of water, but not of the myriad of over priced, stinky, perfumed soap, shampoo and deodourants that just add to the rubbish we chuck out.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right there arnsider, no need for diverse expensive products :?
I read a popular science article about bathing, spending too long in the tub is not recommended, 10-15 minutes are enough
I spend an hour or two, twice a week. Should I bathe less often? Bathing is my only extravagance!
One often sees filmstars in the bath, but only their head and shoulders, the tub is full of foam. How on earth is that done?