Bath, shower, both, neither? Vote now please!

Bath, shower, both, neither?

Bath
15%
Shower
64%
Bath Plus: whirlpool
3%
Both
16%
Neither
3%

Total votes: 74

Cyril Haearn

Re: Bath, shower, both, neither?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I was just thinking of you Tangled, can you use a normal bath?
Lying about hygiene? Are the surveys anonymous? Can one trust anyone to tell the truth? How can one bath or shower 'wrong'?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Graham

Post by Graham »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Who voted 'neither', and why? What other cleansing methods are available?

And Lo it came to pass that Graham needed a better solution to wash the squalid filth from his disgusting torso.

Considerations :-
1) How to wash effectively, without wasting precious resources
2) How to stay comfortable - while washing - when the internal house temperature at a healthy & eco-friendly 14 degrees C.
3) At times of drought to preserve any "waste water" for watering the garden ( or as bouillon for a soup base :wink: )
4) Minimise the water vapour released into the house. ( A powerful bathroom fan has its trade-offs. i.e. you can get a lot of water vapour out, but you also dump a lot of warm air outside. . . . . )

Baths are an eco-disaster !
Showers are wasteful.
. . . but a standing washdown with a basin-full of kettle-boiled water does me nicely. I keep warm with all the washing, scrubbing and acrobatics.

When I want to keep the waste water, I put the hot water in one of those 30 ltr big plastic bucket things and have the washdown in the shower-cubicle - standing in the bucket. . . .. a variation on the tin bath of yesteryear . . . .
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Minusplus, I saved a lot of heating energy by moving to a smaller dwelling
35 m2 plus outside patio
Have used the heating today, but in winter I go for a walk in the evening to save heat and light, get home warmed up, straight to bed
Come to think of it, I can imagine people lying, claiming they shower every day when they in truth do not :?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:... outside patio...

Definitely the better type.

Jonathan
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Come to think of it, I can imagine people lying, claiming they shower every day when they in truth do not :?

What would be the motivation for anyone to do this?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Come to think of it, I can imagine people lying, claiming they shower every day when they in truth do not :?

What would be the motivation for anyone to do this?

Fear that the survey is not anonymous maybe, or choosing the 'nearest' answer
Question to sprotscar driver:
- Do you obey the maximum speed limit?
- Yes
- Are you lying?
- Yes
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 2 Dec 2020, 3:25pm, edited 2 times in total.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Depends on my mood or level of fatigue. In the summer there’s nothing like a cool or even cold shower to refresh you and wash away the clag of hot, sweaty ride. In the winter it’s a long hot soak in the bath to ease the joints that’s needed.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

a bath every sunday whether I need it or not.

Hate showers, love soaking away in a deep bath with a cold beer.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You don't get a lot of Elizabethan jokes on here!

: - )

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's once a year whether I need it or not! Actually I heard that with hair you reach a point where it stops getting dirty and allegedly self cleans. I think it just reaches a balance where it durrant get any dirtier.

CH- ice got a shower insi a bath. It's a studio bath some is at least 200mm shorter than standard baths. I can fit in it with my legs almost straight or my legs up the end wall and my torso in the water. Not a good look and no it's not got a single centre tap so the torso dip doesn't result in... well I'll leave it there.

Needless to say I'd rather duck under the shower head than struggle fitting in the bath. Plus the new shower flexi pipe it's higher internal diameter and the new head has power wash strength of flow.

Btw change or completely clean your shower heads regularly. An ex boss got legionnaires from a dirty, hotel shower head in Poland and nearly died. When I saw him he told us that they had tested it and determined that was the source. The hotel got shut down for a deep clean. He was still not right 6 months later.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Bath if at all possible.
Don't care a stuff about the cost. Just before bed. Ideally about an hour with some form of internet device, a phone, at least one book and a hot chocolate. At the weekend add a beer or a rum and possibly some chocolate.
Showers are for being cold at campsites. Nowt better than coming home at Sunday lunch time in the rain to find a hot bath waiting for me.
Now is it me or does anyone else find that they take longer to dry after a shower than a bath? It is noticeable.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I won't deny that a bath can have its merits but i always find i then need to shower to remove the clagg from me and the bath tub! i honestly couldn't say when i last had a bath, possibly at a hotel that i vaguely remember didn't have a shower :roll: The default when i was a kid was a bath, probably twice a week, private dwellings didn't often have 'proper' showers, my experience with them was at school or on campsites.

I do usually shower daily, mostly in the evening before i head to bed - i like to be clean when i go to bed! There are days when i might not shower, maybe i'm travelling overnight or i'm feeling a bit off but its quite rare. If i'm travelling, the first thing i do after sorting my accomodation is shower, whether its hotel, b&b or tent, a quick way to freshen up and ease tired muscles :)

So for me, regardless of the ecomomics i prefer a shower because
a) no waiting before starting
b) constant temperature or adjust to suit however long i'm in (hopefully!)
c) dirt/soap washed off not sat in
d) easier to get in/out of
and e) less likely to drown when i fall asleep! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

My mum has a great photo of my dad, some years ago, in the baths.
Bubbles to the rim, so decent. Dad feels that washing up liquid is better for bathing as it gets rid of the smell of sheep. If the adverts are correct then such a liquid is fine for the skin! :roll:
He is smoking his pipe and reading a farming magazine. On the side of the bath is a large glass of whisky and a whopping great cheese sandwich.
Apparently Mum wasn't at home when he got in hence the "luxuries". :lol:
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I haven't had a bath in about 25 years.

In it is a dirty, wasteful practice. I'm sure Cyril would be the exception, of course.

I havnae had a shower for eight months! :wink:
I usually have a bath in the morning, about twice a week on average, is that normal?
Perhaps I should add questions about frequency and time of day. Does anyone bath or shower in cold water?

The best bath is maybe after a long cycle ride in winter

Literally just out of a deep (!) hot Bath. First deep bath for years because I’m mean with water use. I usually have about 2 inches in the bath. Today I was just so cold after my afternoon walk that I came home, set a Whisky and hot bath.
Last edited by leftpoole on 5 Dec 2020, 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.