Post-cataract spectacles

rmurphy195

Post-cataract spectacles

Post by rmurphy195 »

Had my cataracts "done" a few days ago, and the info is that I am borderline in terms of not requiring specs for distance vision i.e. reading only (unless needed for night driving, yet to be assessed)

At present -or should I say formerly - I used distance-vision specs in place of my varifocals while cycling - so the distance specs can be replaced by non-prescription sunglasses, to get the UV protection.

All well and good, but - I don't like tints!

And can I find any non-prescription, untinted sunglasses or polaroid specs on the market - not so far. Anyone know of such? I don't want cycling-specifc, but something I could wear all day, whther walking or cycling, to get the required protection.

Thanks - Richard
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Jdsk

Re: Post-cataract spectacles

Post by Jdsk »

Many of us wear "industrial safety glasses" rather than "cycling glasses" and they're often much cheaper. Would you consider those?

Do you have a special need for protection from UV?

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wear fishing glasses. All Polaroid and widely available.

They have wrap around frames to protect the eyes from the side. I'm my case they are overglasses.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:I wear fishing glasses. All Polaroid and widely available.

They have wrap around frames to protect the eyes from the side. I'm my case they are overglasses.

...but by definition, because polarised and therefore blocking a good deal of light, appear tinted, of course.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bonefishblues wrote:

...but by definition, because polarised and therefore blocking a good deal of light, appear tinted, of course.

Silly me!
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Silly me!

Not at all
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:Many of us wear "industrial safety glasses" rather than "cycling glasses" and they're often much cheaper. Would you consider those?

Do you have a special need for protection from UV?

My current day glasses: "Bolle COBPSF Cobra Safety":
https://www.bolle-safety.com/reference/cobpsf

About £9.

Jonathan
rmurphy195

Re: Post-cataract spectacles SORTED

Post by rmurphy195 »

Thanks for all your replies.

I do require UV protection, an extra safeguard against the other eye becoming cataract-bound and (possibly) delay the onset of macular degeneration where, maybe, UV may have an impact. But I ideally want clear (category 0) lenses' simply because on dull days my eyes feel like they are popping out if I use tinted or photochromic lenses so that really rules out the polaroids except in sunny conditions.

I do have a pair of the fit-over/fishing sunglasses which work well but they are dark! Especially usefuL at present while the offending eyeball settles down, and also prove invaluable in the few hours after a retinopathy test, especially on sunny days!

PS - by searching for "clear" rather than "non-tinted" I've found the options I was looking for - these would be ideally "Category 0" sunglasses - so I'm sorted on my potential options for the various scenarios thanks

PPS The Cobra's do look nice, and practical, if I can get them in clear
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

An update - bought a pair of these today https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-contour-clear-lens-safety-specs/1371f.

Absolutley ideal, and I've tested them for UV blocking, and all OK!

Thanks for the tips guys - Richard.