Another glasses question.

ANTONISH

Another glasses question.

Post by ANTONISH »

I didn't want to intrude into the existing glasses thread.

My problem is that I feel the need for some weak reading glasses.
I don't use glasses for reading but some times I struggle with fine detail - especially if the light is poor.
I've looked at the glasses one finds in supermarkets but they are stronger than I need ( I can read the smallest print on the chart without glasses).
Is there any way that I can assess what I need so that I can order some online?
Jdsk

Re: Another glasses question.

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: I can read the smallest print on the chart without glasses

What distance was that?

If it wasn't for the outbreak I'd suggest going to a shop and trying some +0.5 and some +1 glasses. So instead how about buying some +0.5 online and having a play in different conditions?

Would you also like some recommendations for working on the bike?

Jonathan

PS: But it sounds as if you might not have optimised the lighting...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm not an optician but, in my eye tests the wall charts are always to test distance vision and for reading I get a paperback sized card with different print sizes.

I do have a reading prescription (+1.5) as well as cyl and axis (astigmatism?) and I've tried some of the "off-the-shelf" reading glasses and because of the astigmatism they don't work well and e.g. sides of laptop screen are no longer parallel.

I have the impression a reading prescription can be a bit vague and can depend on the distance you use book/screen to eyes (and book to eyes is often different from screen to eyes). One optician was "you could stay +1.5 or you could go to +1.75", another just said +1.75 (but +1.75 is too strong for me and computer screens).

You can find cheap off-the-shelf reading glasses from e.g. Amazon but they often come from China so return is a non-starter so in practice can be a risk. Double check if Amazon (or elsewhere) will allow you to return them as some "health/medical" items they don't allow returns on.

Ian
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

thanks for the replies.
To answer Jonathan's question I read the chart from what I would consider a normal reading distance - that's a bit inexact but there didn't seem to be any instruction about a required distance.
I'll try some 0.5 strength and see how it goes - there isn't a great expense if they don't help.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I'm on 1.5s but even with these I have to hold my arm outstretched for small print. I have some 3.5s for very close up precision work.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, that's the sensible distance to check. You can similarly do quick astigmatism tests with charts printed from online sources.

Jonathan
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I'm in a similar position - I've used Varifocals for many years, mostly with a reading prescription of +2.5 but am aware that on the PC I often seem to use the central, middle distance part of the lens which, realistically, is comfortable due to the fact I don't need to tip my head back to see the screen. Following a recent Cataract op it's possible that I may no longer need varies, but will need reading glasses.

I'm fortunate enought to have a magnivisor used for modelmaking etc. which has a range of lenses (+1, 1.5, 2.0 and so on). So the plan is to try different strengths in different circumstances e.g. using the desktop PC, reading a book, using an OS map to see which strength would suit me most - because in this scenario I won't be having to use the bottom edge of the lens, but the whole lens, to read with. (When I was working I had prescription readin glasses to use at the desk for exactly that reason)

If you can borrow one of these things maybe you could try something similar? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-60390-Loupe-Magnifier-Visor/dp/B001MJ0JW2/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=headband+magnifier&qid=1608221875&sr=8-8
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

ANTONISH wrote:thanks for the replies.
To answer Jonathan's question I read the chart from what I would consider a normal reading distance - that's a bit inexact but there didn't seem to be any instruction about a required distance.
I'll try some 0.5 strength and see how it goes - there isn't a great expense if they don't help.

At my last test I noticed some numers at the side of the snellen chart, against each line of type.

With my right eye, the line I could read has the legend "6/4.5" against it, the one above had "6/6" against it. I looked it up - and what it means is that at 6 meters I could read type that "normal" vision would allow you to read at 4.5 meters - this fits in with my knowledge that I am slightly long-sighted in my right eye.

A bit of further research revealed this, which you could experiment with https://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-test/free-eye-chart/
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

rmurphy195 wrote:

A bit of further research revealed this, which you could experiment with https://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-test/free-eye-chart/

Thanks for that - it picked up some astigmatism in my right eye.
The problem is with very small detail ( smaller than the small print on the back of a driving licence ) - I find I need much better light ( as Jonathan suggests) - I've taken to using a magnifying glass on occasion.
I've always had some short sightedness - it's just about good enough to read a car number plate at the required driving licence distance but I find distance glasses better( particularly at night) and I took the test with glasses.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

ANTONISH wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:

Thanks for that - it picked up some astigmatism in my right eye.
The problem is with very small detail ( smaller than the small print on the back of a driving licence ) - I find I need much better light ( as Jonathan suggests) - I've taken to using a magnifying glass on occasion.
I've always had some short sightedness - it's just about good enough to read a car number plate at the required driving licence distance but I find distance glasses better( particularly at night) and I took the test with glasses.

Driving licence details are super-small! Have you had an eye test at an optician lately? Mine had deteriorated rapidly and noticeably in one eye during lockdown. The astigmatism on your prescription is shown as one of the numbers - the Cylindrical and Axis measurements I think. Info here may be useful https://www.eyesite.co.uk/eye-tests/your-optical-prescription-explained/. Astigmatism is not fixed by a Cataract operation, long/short sightedness are (plus other benefits that I'm discovering).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rmurphy195 wrote:Astigmatism is not fixed by a Cataract operation...

It can be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism#Treatment

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm a bit reticent about saying this in case I've missed it (my specs could often do with a good wipe) but the elephant in the room is a visit to an optician. (edit I've just been beaten to it.)

As a diabetic, I've recently been able to have my annual test at my opticians who are otherwise trying to catch up with tests cancelled in the first lockdown. After several years of "no change" my reading prescription needed a change. I wear varifocals and I'd been increasingly squinting through the strongest bit at the bottom. It's a bit like brakes, you don't always notice gradual deterioration.

Also, there's not much you can do about it outdoors but at home consider getting a good bright lamp. I've had one for several years which includes a magnifier. For reading when I need more light, the lamp on its own is more than adequate but for small stuff then the magnifier is ready to hand.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

For cheap and weak reading glasses try Poundland. Guess how cheap :D
I find that they can be a bit variable so buy the pair you try or at least a pair next to them on the rail.
I told my optician that I used them and was given the go ahead. They do seem to be a tad "weak".
As I spread them liberally around the countryside, wardrobe and vehicles & I buy them by the fivers worth in different colours.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Jdsk wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:Astigmatism is not fixed by a Cataract operation...

It can be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism#Treatment

Jonathan

OK I'll rephrase that - not normally under the NHS as far as I know, and privately it costs a wee bit! All things are possible if
a) You have the dosh and want to save on the expense of specs, or
b) The problem is bad enough (maybe)

And yes, I did look at the price list recently ....
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Well there is plenty of information there.
I deferred going for an eye test during the lockdown but it's on my list when things are back to normal.