Type 2 diabetes and an older rider

al_yrpal

Re: Type 2 Diabetes & Cycling

Post by al_yrpal »

The reason I took up cycling back in 2006 was because I had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I had a sedentary job and over a period of 25 years the weight had imperceptibly piled on. I was seriously unfit. Unlike as been alleged I never ate sweets cakes or had sugar in drinks. Perhaps the weight gain was fueled by booze and no other exercise than country walking, my diet wasnt poor and excluded pre prepared food? I immediately went on a diet, bought a new bike and took up multi day touring. I shed 48 lbs in a few months and was advised that I could stop taking Metformin forthwith. But over the years a couple of stone has crept on and occasionally I have to diet for a few months to check my weight. I am religious about exercise and love regular shortish bike rides. It isnt easy for me to control my weight, I love nice food and enjoy cooking and discovering new dishes. I believe the cycle rides are the most effective way of controlling my diabetes.I always feel good after a ride and really enjoy days out on the bike in the countryside. Cycling is a great remedy for diabetes.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

For anyone who thinks they may be at risk of Type 2 Diabetes, the NHS offer prevention programmes, these used to require a GP's referral, but now you can sign up without.
I completed one last year, run by XYLA (Previously called ICS), it started pre pandemic and the weekly sessions were excellent, it was then suspended during the first lockdown and came back as an online course, which although useful wasn't as good, hardly their fault as the changes weren't of their making and some of the participants struggled with the technology. I learnt a fair bit, both stuff that I had no idea about, plus an understanding of stuff where I already knew the what but not the why. It isn't in itself lifechanging, but if you were wanting change, it's a useful course.
You can self refer via this link
https://www.stopdiabetes.co.uk/join-the-programme

There's probably more than one provider, these are the people who ran the one I did
https://xylahealthandwellbeing.com/our- ... revention/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ymfb wrote:I am monitored by a Dr in the Chemical pathology dept who is relatively new to my case and having heard my entire story including the loss of my brother at 32 and mother at 59 has suggested that there is a link between my Cholesterol and Diabetes, for the sake of mothers grandchildren she wants to disprove or confirm there is a hereditary link and I have some kind of type 3 (not diabetes) situation.

Plasma cholesterol and triglycerides can come down dramatically as treatment for diabetes is started.

It's clear that we're going to find many more genetic associations for type 2 diabetes. The open question is how much difference to prevention and management that knowledge is going to make.

Standard advice is always to enter clinical trials if they're offered... there are repeated observations of better outcomes regardless of the limb of the trial in which you're placed.

Jonathan
fivebikes

Re: Diabetes & Cycling

Post by fivebikes »

horizon wrote:
So it looks like we are all agreed on that then! :)

My question then is, Why? Why should someone not exercise when it is obvious that it will affect their health? And why should anyone choose sugar and carbs over vegetables?

Apart from all the usual answers to these questions, I just wanted to add my tuppence ha'penny worth. One answer is that technology has created a labour-saving world, the principal component of which is the motor car. The second answer is the development of supermarkets and the way that food choices are presented by them.

Although these of course have been identified already, my take on them was to reject the car for personal transport and never go into a supermarket (apart from recycling my plastic bags, I haven't been in one for decades and drive now just a couple of hundred miles per year).

The point I want to make though is that I found it incredibly hard to do both, not because I was personally disinclined but because it meant running against the grain of society. Obesity seems to be built in to our way of life, it is structurally embedded.

Obviously you can shop sensibly and still get exercise even if you use a car; but it has to be a much more conscious choice and one that takes a degree of effort. And when you do make that effort, you find often that society has set things up in a way that might discourage you from the start.

A lot there to agree with..... We have two cars but they mostly sit on the drive, depreciating in value but not causing significant harm to health and environment..... I do supermarket shop but try to choose wisely and only buy only what I can walk or cycle home with. It’s not just the shopping thing though.... much that once required physical effort has been civilised out of our lives. Few people wash clothing or linen by hand, crockery is put in the dishwasher, firewood is bought chopped and coal isn’t lugged into the house anymore. A lot of traditional heavy manual work has all but disappeared. It’s easy to add to the list of tasks that have been made effortless. Some of this is good undoubtedly but people, as a consequence, have to make the effort to exercise whereas once it was just part of living although, some of it probably contributed to premature deaths too!
It’s hard to wind the clock back. We can all make small changes but I know it’s easier to once children are grown up and now that I’m retired.

I don’t have too many qualms about the benefits of modern medicine, I can’t get my blood pressure down to normal levels without meds. It does seem though that a lot of people will rely more and more on medical fixes to their health problems as life, work styles and food choices make it hard to do otherwise. As Horizon said, it means, “running against the grain........”.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

diagnosed type 2 2006, did the meds thing ( bipolar as well)
Cant change the Bipolar(meds for this cause no end of trouble and weight gain) but found I could correct the type 2 diabetes, needed to get my body weight down (ballooned to over 365lbs) so over the years have had a go at most ways, diets ect .

Beginning 2020 (feb) changed my lifestyle to Ketogenic low carb and havent looked back.. weight nearly back to where (200lbs) it needs to be, now non diabetic (off meds), blood pressure normal cholesterol great..
maybe not for everyone but works for me

The most important thing for me is I'm now cycling more and further.. maybe not as good as my younger days but good all the same
Pete... I think
mandvf

Type 2 diabetes and an older rider

Post by mandvf »

My first post so please be kind!
Being 68 I am relative to my age reasonably fit. I won't be racing in any shape or form but, I do like to try and do about 30 miles, a few times a week.
I have a Dawes galaxy touring bike which due to the onset of angina and a stent fitted I have electrified. I know I know it's just not done, but I need it to rebuild my confidence. It's a pedal assist, 5 settings, to which I get easily 80 miles prior to recharge.
Anyway, my problem in being type 2 is that of loading sufficient fuel for myself and then during the ride is my carry on acceptable with chock bars and isotonic drink, followed by what and what and how.much to eat on return.
My diabetic nurse doesn't understand my predicament. Usually after a ride it can take at least a day + to recover, and trying to limit my intake to minimise my sugar level.
I am hoping some other diabetics around my age group will understand and hopefully pass on some tips for there feeding regime.
Jdsk

Re: Type 2 diabetes and an older rider

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

No need to apologise for the electrification. : - )

How's your weight?

Please could you tell us more about the "fuel loading". What happens if you eat less during the ride? What happens if you eat less after the ride?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

No need to apologise for the electrification. : - )
Definitely not - if it hadn't have been for my 'leccy Brompton, I think my cycling days would have faded away into the past. Me and Mr Volt are good buddies these days :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mandvf

Post by mandvf »

Thanks for the replies
I am 20lbs overweight for my height and size, but am told not to worry as my body shape is better than expected.
On medication for high bp
On meds for mental health for last 30 years (thanks previous employer (not))
Various meds enable me know to be under control, except for sugar which averages between 12 to 14 which nobody is happy about.
I minimise obvious sugars, alcohol is a rarity and I don't smoke.
Prior riding is a standard porridge with nuts
During riding rarely do I stop when I do say 30 miles, and have 'bonked' hence I take chocolate and isotronic drinks.
After I return I restart on normal diabetic type meals, hence it can take me a full day to recover.

My main question is some form of dietary advice.
One other thing is that I play in a brass band and after a rehearsal and bike ride on the same day can wipe me out for a couple of days.
I consider myself fairly healthy, it's just my doctors practice doesn't seem to give me the advice I think I need
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

mandvf wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 5:37pm I consider myself fairly healthy, it's just my doctors practice doesn't seem to give me the advice I think I need
No experience myself, but is there any possiblity of the practice giving you a continuos glucose monitor for a while. It would give you a little more data to understand how your bodyrespond to different carbs and effort levels.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mandvf wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 5:37pm Thanks for the replies
I am 20lbs overweight for my height and size, but am told not to worry as my body shape is better than expected.
On medication for high bp
On meds for mental health for last 30 years (thanks previous employer (not))
Various meds enable me know to be under control, except for sugar which averages between 12 to 14 which nobody is happy about.
I minimise obvious sugars, alcohol is a rarity and I don't smoke.
Prior riding is a standard porridge with nuts
During riding rarely do I stop when I do say 30 miles, and have 'bonked' hence I take chocolate and isotronic drinks.
After I return I restart on normal diabetic type meals, hence it can take me a full day to recover.

My main question is some form of dietary advice.
One other thing is that I play in a brass band and after a rehearsal and bike ride on the same day can wipe me out for a couple of days.
I consider myself fairly healthy, it's just my doctors practice doesn't seem to give me the advice I think I need
Have a read of this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Simple-Gu ... C59&sr=1-9

The "treatment" advised (lose a lot of weight by fasting until you reach a certain body weight for your body type) seems to be getting results - at least according to the book and the chatter of the media surrounding it.

No doubt Jonathan will give us his view on it. :-)

Cugel

PS I can tell you from experience that practicing long sub-max-effort bike rides will eventually cure you of bonking, even if you forego the carb fuel - or anything else to eat during the ride. Just drink plenty (of water) and go steady. Your body eventually learns to burn fat as fuel more readily, or so it seems going by the increased mileages-per-ride and reduction in body fat over time.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cugel wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 7:03pmHave a read of this;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Simple-Gu ... C59&sr=1-9
The "treatment" advised (lose a lot of weight by fasting until you reach a certain body weight for your body type) seems to be getting results - at least according to the book and the chatter of the media surrounding it.

No doubt Jonathan will give us his view on it. :-)
I'd try to add some value if I could. But it's a very difficult subject because low carbohydrate diets aren't all the same, there aren't any big long-tern studies on either the benefits or the harms, and there are some very strongly held beliefs out there.

Here's what Diabetes UK has to say...

... for patients:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-di ... s/low-carb

... and for professionals:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professiona ... h-diabetes

For many people with type 2 diabetes losing weight looks like a very good idea.

Jonathan
Coaster531

Post by Coaster531 »

This is a fascinating and very stimulating thread. Thank you to all who have contributed.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

All very informative, if a little inconclusive. I assume that I should have T2 - I eat far too many cream cakes and carbs. Lots of sugar in tea!
But my BMI is and always has been below 20. A few doctors have commented that as my mother and her mother (both very slim) developed it in mid to late 70s then so would I!
My waist has only v recently increased by an inch to 31, but that's a result of post-ERT hormone injections for prostate cancer.
My extreme COPD limits my cycling to pretty slow 100-140 miles per week. I do not eat a lot, judging by what I see in eateries. But not all is healthy. On a 40 mile ride my cafe stop is cake and black tea with sugar.
Lots of blood tests have not noted any diabetic tendencies.
I find it all very confusing.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Jun 2022, 8:07pm Here's what Diabetes UK has to say...

... for patients:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-di ... s/low-carb

Jonathan
I just clicked on that, went to the website and it asked me to accept cookies. I said no, I value my health . . ... :lol:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher