New varient covid study...

landsurfer

Re: New varient covid study...

Post by landsurfer »

I wouldn't take your bet Simon ..I think you've pretty much hit it on the head ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Staying a bit off topic, something I’ve tried to find out (but failed) is when did the original lockdowns begin in each country in relation to the first peak in deaths in those same places?
Jdsk

Re: New variant covid study...

Post by Jdsk »

The best single accumulation of policies etc is the Blavatnik database:
https://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/research/research-projects/coronavirus-government-response-tracker

Jonathan
Phileas

Re: New variant covid study...

Post by Phileas »

Jdsk wrote:The best single accumulation of policies etc is the Blavatnik database:
https://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/research/research-projects/coronavirus-government-response-tracker

Jonathan

Thanks
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

Landsurfers arguments are without evidence and inconsistent. He says the protection measures do not work. As evidence he sights his own experience but it is clear he could not implement them effectively. But this is an altogether different argument. The measures clearly do work, (original lockdown dramatically reduced the incidence) but they are not a complete answer as we still live within a society. They reduce risk but do not eliminate it. Proclaiming that they do not work on the basis of an opinion risks influencing others welfare and health.
Syd

New varient covid study...

Post by Syd »

landsurfer wrote:IWe have to do something different ,,

Which is what?

‘Don’t find fault, find a remedy.’

Henry Ford
atoz

Post by atoz »

I have avoided contact (as in no contact) with people outside work except for essential shopping. No cafes or pubs (when they were open). No visits to relatives, although the few I have live around 200 miles away. I mask up when I should. I cycle within my limits locally only.

My real risk factor is travelling to work (unavoidably using public transport, not a good cycle commute at any time of year, but in winter a complete non starter). And also being at work. My role now means (unlike first lockdown) I have to be in.

I hope for my sake (and others) that I have some natural immunity, since realistically there must have been lots of opportunities to get infected previously, and unless I was asymptomatic it didn't happen.

Not good, to put it mildly. Still it's better than what could happen, and for that I am grateful. You can be as careful as you want, but we all need a bit of luck.

Other than the usual precautions I take my vitamin D and eat my oily fish..and try not to watch the news too much.