Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

saudidave

Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

Postby saudidave » 7 Jan 2021, 12:20pm

After 16 months of a variety of tests including a clear MRI scan a year ago, I've finally been diagnosed with Stage 1 prostate cancer and need to have either a radical Prostatectomy (done robotically) or Brachytherapy which is radioactive pellets implanted in to the prostate to destroy the cancer cells.

My main fear with the Prostatectomy is incontinence, not erectile dysfunction as I'm 68 next week and I've had a good run!

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom based upon personal experience about either procedure and the relevant after effects please? I'm not worried about this thing seeing me off as statistically my odds of a complete cure are extremely good considering the stage and grade of cancer I have. I'm assured by my daughter who is a doctor that 5 year survival is well in to the high 90's in percentage terms, but the 5% chance of incontinence that a radical prostatectomy carries frightens me in a big way!

saudidave

Re: Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

Postby saudidave » 14 Jan 2021, 2:49pm

Having now discussed the options with a variety of doctors (My daughter is one thus I know several), I'm now leaning towards brachytherapy and will make a final decision after mulling it over until Monday.

Has anyone on the forum had brachytherapy and can relate their experiences?