Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

ken66

Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

Post by ken66 »

Was that just for your mental health or had it some physical benefit?

My uncle went through RT some years ago and the way he explained it to me was that he'd had the radio beams focused on each lesion at a time -- I think there was 3 or 4 can't remember. I'd have thought there would be some pain involved.[/quote]

I’m a great believer in exercise to help your mental well-being so that would be the main benefit. Regarding radiotherapy, definitely NO PAIN involved! You’re not aware of any sensation apart from hearing the machine in action
Cowsham

Re: Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

Post by Cowsham »

ken66 wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 6:32am Was that just for your mental health or had it some physical benefit?

My uncle went through RT some years ago and the way he explained it to me was that he'd had the radio beams focused on each lesion at a time -- I think there was 3 or 4 can't remember. I'd have thought there would be some pain involved.
I’m a great believer in exercise to help your mental well-being so that would be the main benefit. Regarding radiotherapy, definitely NO PAIN involved! You’re not aware of any sensation apart from hearing the machine in action
[/quote]

Well that's encouraging -- my uncle had a very good outcome but they caught him early -- he's not fit by any measure but not fat either. He keeps fairly active walking etc but not fit like a cyclist.
I am here. Where are you?
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

I’m pleased to report that after 4 months I’m now more or less continent. I’ve been extremely diligent with the Keegel exercises and it appears to have worked. I’m not yet confident enough to go without the incontinence pads yet but I suspect it won’t be long now.

I’m also regularly clocking up 50 -100 miles per week on the bike so all is good!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

saudidave wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 9:39pm I’m pleased to report that after 4 months I’m now more or less continent. I’ve been extremely diligent with the Keegel exercises and it appears to have worked. I’m not yet confident enough to go without the incontinence pads yet but I suspect it won’t be long now.

I’m also regularly clocking up 50 -100 miles per week on the bike so all is good!
Good, steady, progress indeed. Well done!
I reach day 10 of 20 tomorrow. Fitting 10-15 miles a day around the sessions/weekends, although current weather doesn't sit well with hot flushes from the medication!
Continence issues continue pretty much as before any treatment started - in the main not related to prostate at all.
Mid-course review said all going ok, but that I should expect worsening side effects from now on.
I shall continue to keep as active as possible in the non-scientific belief that it helps recovery!
"The road goes on forever, but YOUR party always ends!"
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

djnotts wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 10:19pm
saudidave wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 9:39pm I’m pleased to report that after 4 months I’m now more or less continent. I’ve been extremely diligent with the Keegel exercises and it appears to have worked. I’m not yet confident enough to go without the incontinence pads yet but I suspect it won’t be long now.

I reach day 10 of 20 tomorrow. Fitting 10-15 miles a day around the sessions/weekends, although current weather doesn't sit well with hot flushes from the medication!
Continence issues continue pretty much as before any treatment started - in the main not related to prostate at all.
Mid-course review said all going ok, but that I should expect worsening side effects from now on.
I shall continue to keep as active as possible in the non-scientific belief that it helps recovery!
"The road goes on forever, but YOUR party always ends!"
It’s really good that you are staying positive and getting through your course of treatment.Well done and never give in!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

saudidave wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 11:05pm
djnotts wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 10:19pm

I reach day 10 of 20 tomorrow.....
It’s really good that you are staying positive and getting through your course of treatment.Well done and never give in!
I am not by nature an optimist, but I do have a stubborn streak, so if I do "give in" it will be a conscious decision rather than lack of will power!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Great to hear of your progress.

djnotts wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 10:19pm I shall continue to keep as active as possible in the non-scientific belief that it helps recovery!
There's probably lots of science to support that! : - )

And it's quite different from the complex issue of "fighting" cancer and some of the discussion of mental attitude.

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"And it's quite different from the complex issue of "fighting" cancer and some of the discussion of mental attitude."

Agreed. Some of the "fighting"-speak seems to me to have no basis in science, attributing result to attitude with no proven link. More likely the result of treatment or plain, simple, genetic luck!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

20th and final radiotherapy session today. Including weekends and 1 failed session a total of 29 days. Had set myself target of cycling, including trainer when hospital schedule dictated, at least 10 miles every day. Achieved, didn't miss a day, total 372 miles.
Side effects intensifying urinary problems not directly linked to prostate. May or may not improve in a few weeks time.
For now put it to back of my mind pending psa test and follow up in c.4 months time.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Well done.

Do they chat about your cycling with you?

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:39pm Well done.

Do they chat about your cycling with you?

Jonathan
Thank you! Only indirectly as an indication of keeping "active", which seems to be considered a "good thing" in combating fatigue side effect and aiding recovery.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks... I was thinking about educating them a bit ready for when they see the next cyclist who's not sure what they should be doing...

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Well, I did tell most of the many radiotherapy operators I saw!
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

djnotts wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:36pm 20th and final radiotherapy session today. Including weekends and 1 failed session a total of 29 days. Had set myself target of cycling, including trainer when hospital schedule dictated, at least 10 miles every day. Achieved, didn't miss a day, total 372 miles.
Side effects intensifying urinary problems not directly linked to prostate. May or may not improve in a few weeks time.
For now put it to back of my mind pending psa test and follow up in c.4 months time.
Well done for getting through what must have been a gruelling experience and for keeping up the cycling whilst you were at it. They'll be calling you Lance if you carry on with this sort of progress!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Thank you!
Probably fewer drugs than LA (so far) and not as "enhancing"!
Hope you're continuing the come-back?