Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

Cowsham

Re: Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

Post by Cowsham »

That's fantastic news Dave. Thanks for the update. I found keeping my mind occupied with a hobby was the best thing I'd done during a health scare about 6 years ago. As it turned out all was well thankfully but a torrid few months.
I am here. Where are you?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"So at last, I'm feeling a lot more positive and almost normal again"

Glad that after all the ups and downs it's coming good, must be a great relief.

My journey moves on. I have agreed to hormone and external radiation therapy, not that any other option was on the table (age and copd ruled out surgery or brachytherapy).

A month of tablets, with 1st injection part way through, 2nd 3 mthly injection in 3 weeks, ERT to start 7 July for 4 weeks. I agreed to treatment because as still contained within prostate "a good chance of eradication .... at the least delay metatasticism for 10 years".
My gf and children have been very much "it's your decision and .... Will support whatever you do" but clearly did think I should give it a go.

I take some comfort, probably wrongly
from having had next to no side effects from the hormone treatment.

My oldest surviving school days friend is a retired GP, who has himself fought a long battle with a much rarer cancer and whose opinion I value highly, has advised that the odds favour treatment. That swung it for me.

Time will tell....
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

djnotts wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 10:46pm  "So at last, I'm feeling a lot more positive and almost normal again"

Glad that after all the ups and downs it's coming good, must be a great relief.

My journey moves on. I have agreed to hormone and external radiation therapy, not that any other option was on the table (age and copd ruled out surgery or brachytherapy).

A month of tablets, with 1st injection part way through, 2nd 3 mthly injection in 3 weeks, ERT to start 7 July for 4 weeks. I agreed to treatment because as still contained within prostate "a good chance of eradication .... at the least delay metatasticism for 10 years".
My gf and children have been very much "it's your decision and .... Will support whatever you do" but clearly did think I should give it a go.

I take some comfort, probably wrongly
from having had next to no side effects from the hormone treatment.

My oldest surviving school days friend is a retired GP, who has himself fought a long battle with a much rarer cancer and whose opinion I value highly, has advised that the odds favour treatment. That swung it for me.

Time will tell....
Will send up wee prayer for you Dj -- I've just had a short sharp lesson on how I'm just here by the merest of threads but thankful it held again like an anchor.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Will send up wee prayer for you Dj -- I've just had a short sharp lesson on how I'm just here by the merest of threads but thankful it held again like an anchor"

Thanks. The thread is indeed flimsy! Most of us prefer not to dwell on that, but as one gets older best to recognise it.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Dj, my apologies that I didn't reply sooner, work and life have been chaos. It's great to hear that you now have some hope for a positive outcome. A delay to any metatastis for 10 years is amazing and who knows how other treatments may advance in that decade?
Keep on keeping on, I'm sure you will look back in a couple of years and be overjoyed that you made the decision to try.

I'm still moving forward albeit the rate of progress has slowed, but that's what I expected. I'm now on the lightest of incontinence pads and the improvement, coupled with my acceptance has made my current position acceptable. It's a little uncomfortable at times, but not too much and nothing I can't cope with. It's no longer restricting my lifestyle too much and I'm clocking 50-75 miles a week on the bike. I'm confident it will resolve completely over the next few months.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

You still doing 120 miles a week dj ?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

saudidave wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 10:41am Dj, my apologies that I didn't reply sooner, work and life have been chaos. ......
Keep on keeping on, I'm sure you will look back in a couple of years and be overjoyed that you made the decision to try.

I'm still moving forward albeit the rate of progress has slowed, but that's what I expected. I'm now on the lightest of incontinence pads and the improvement, coupled with my acceptance has made my current position acceptable. It's a little uncomfortable at times, but not too much and nothing I can't cope with. It's no longer restricting my lifestyle too much and I'm clocking 50-75 miles a week on the bike. I'm confident it will resolve completely over the next few months.
Clearly your patient optimism is serving you well - back on the bike must be a massive encouragement. I'm still at the medication stage, second 3-monthly dose week before last seemed to produce a "spike" and I did feel a little tired for a few days.

Radiotherapy (VMAT I believe) begins next Wednesday. I am a little apprehensive but then anyone who wouldn't be must be in denial! All will be revealed within next 4-5 weeks I guess.

General fitness level continues unaffected (see below).

Hope you go from strength to strength.

My best wishes and thanks for your interest and update.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Cowsham wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 5:13pm You still doing 120 miles a week dj ?
Close! 35.5 to meet up with CTC Saturday Ride today gave me 124.5 mile week! 3130 for year to 30 June, missed only 6 days post-biopsy in the 6 months. I consider not too shabby for near 73 and with severe COPD.

No doubt will drop significantly over at least next few months.

For now "put me on the highway...."
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

djnotts wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 6:03pm
Cowsham wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 5:13pm You still doing 120 miles a week dj ?
Close! 35.5 to meet up with CTC Saturday Ride today gave me 124.5 mile week! 3130 for year to 30 June, missed only 6 days post-biopsy in the 6 months. I consider not too shabby for near 73 and with severe COPD.

No doubt will drop significantly over at least next few months.

For now "put me on the highway...."
Fantastic -- wish you well for the upcoming treatment -- you'll do well.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

saudidave wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 10:41am Dj, my apologies that I didn't reply sooner, work and life have been chaos. It's great to hear that you now have some hope for a positive outcome. A delay to any metatastis for 10 years is amazing and who knows how other treatments may advance in that decade?

Doing well Dave -- keep er lit !
ken66

Post by ken66 »

I’ve only just seen this chain of posts which I’ve read with some interest having undergone RT during March last year accompanied by HT. I was given the option of RP or RT following diagnosis aged 69. I think it’s important to remember that there is often no right course of treatment, it would make life far easier if there were. The treatment choice for one person isn’t necessarily the correct one for another. It’s often a case of choosing the least worst option as you see it. Initially my preferred choice of treatment was brachytherapy but I was judged to be unsuitable as my urine flow rate was too slow. The suggestion that RT crudely scatters radiation was probably the case once but I don’t believe that is the case now. So far I am happy with my choice of treatment. On several of the 20 days of RT I managed to fit in a ride and I covered 200 miles during the month of RT treatments. Good luck to anyone faced with this cancer.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

ken66 wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 9:15pm I’ve only just seen this chain of posts which I’ve read with some interest having undergone RT during March last year accompanied by HT. I was given the option of RP or RT following diagnosis aged 69. I think it’s important to remember that there is often no right course of treatment, it would make life far easier if there were. The treatment choice for one person isn’t necessarily the correct one for another. It’s often a case of choosing the least worst option as you see it. Initially my preferred choice of treatment was brachytherapy but I was judged to be unsuitable as my urine flow rate was too slow. The suggestion that RT crudely scatters radiation was probably the case once but I don’t believe that is the case now. So far I am happy with my choice of treatment. On several of the 20 days of RT I managed to fit in a ride and I covered 200 miles during the month of RT treatments. Good luck to anyone faced with this cancer.
Helpful and encouraging, thanks for posting.

I certainly think that the latest RT methods can be very carefully and precisely focused, far from any scatter gun approach. My reading of numerous studies/sources suggests that I will receive the optimum treatment. And Notts Univ Hospitals group appear to have the latest kit!
ken66

Post by ken66 »

djnotts wrote:
ken66 wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 9:15pm I’ve only just seen this chain of posts which I’ve read with some interest having undergone RT during March last year accompanied by HT. I was given the option of RP or RT following diagnosis aged 69. I think it’s important to remember that there is often no right course of treatment, it would make life far easier if there were. The treatment choice for one person isn’t necessarily the correct one for another. It’s often a case of choosing the least worst option as you see it. Initially my preferred choice of treatment was brachytherapy but I was judged to be unsuitable as my urine flow rate was too slow. The suggestion that RT crudely scatters radiation was probably the case once but I don’t believe that is the case now. So far I am happy with my choice of treatment. On several of the 20 days of RT I managed to fit in a ride and I covered 200 miles during the month of RT treatments. Good luck to anyone faced with this cancer.

I certainly think that the latest RT methods can be very carefully and precisely focused, far from any scatter gun approach. My reading of numerous studies/sources suggests that I will receive the optimum treatment. And Notts Univ Hospitals group appear to have the latest kit!
Good luck with your treatment dj. You will finish the RT sessions in no time at all. It’s just a case of head down & get on with it! Rather than parking at the hospital I started parking in a supermarket car park half a mile or so away. The sole reason for doing this was to include a short walk either side of the session which was helpful to me
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Thanks for those comments.

"Rather than parking at the hospital I started parking in a supermarket car park half a mile or so away. The sole reason for doing this was to include a short walk either side of the session which was helpful to me." seems an excellent idea..
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

ken66 wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 10:16pm
djnotts wrote:

Good luck with your treatment dj. You will finish the RT sessions in no time at all. It’s just a case of head down & get on with it! Rather than parking at the hospital I started parking in a supermarket car park half a mile or so away. The sole reason for doing this was to include a short walk either side of the session which was helpful to me
Was that just for your mental health or had it some physical benefit?

My uncle went through RT some years ago and the way he explained it to me was that he'd had the radio beams focused on each lesion at a time -- I think there was 3 or 4 can't remember. I'd have thought there would be some pain involved.