Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

saudidave

Re: Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

Post by saudidave »

djnotts wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:52pm Thank you!
Probably fewer drugs than LA (so far) and not as "enhancing"!
Hope you're continuing the come-back?
Yes, I’m continuing to improve. I haven’t had the bottle to go without any form of incontinence pad whilst out and about yet but I have been using just drip shields for the last 2 weeks or so. Given that many men my age (68) use those without having had prostate surgery I’m rather pleased. I continue to do the pelvic floor exercises like a man possessed and should make a full recovery in time.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Excellent. More structured rehab plan than I. I do pelvic exercises when I think of it. Seem to be escaping most post-treatment side effects so
far - 25 miles Saturday, 11 Sunday, 16 Monday, 22 today. Hope to get back to min 100 a week shortly!

The hormone injections to continue for 2 years, which carries its own side effects!

You'll soon be fully mended. Well done.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Great to hear both of you on the mend and enjoying life.
I am here. Where are you?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Admittedly I chose flattest route (that's the copd!) but 43 miles yesterday meeting up with CTC Ride at lunch. Solo because I do need rather frequent "hedge stops" for the first few hours.
About as long as my lungs have been able to manage for 2-3 years so pretty much no constraints related to the radiotherapy or hormone injections.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

saudidave wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 10:54pm
Yes, I’m continuing to improve. I haven’t had the bottle to go without any form of incontinence pad whilst out and about yet but I have been using just drip shields for the last 2 weeks or so. Given that many men my age (68) use those without having had prostate surgery I’m rather pleased. I continue to do the pelvic floor exercises like a man possessed and should make a full recovery in time.
I’m pleased to say that I’ve now made a full recovery and no longer need incontinence pads of any description. It’s a massive relief to have finally got to this stage. I’ve just celebrated with a 22 mile bike ride around Cheshire!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Great news.

What's next?

Jonathan
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"It’s a massive relief to have finally got to this stage. I’ve just celebrated with a 22 mile bike ride around Cheshire!"

Celebration entirely justified! Great that your perseverance, optimism and effort paid off.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 12:01pm Great news.

What's next?

Jonathan
Since I've achieved this particular health goal, the recovery of continence after cancer surgery, hopefully I will remain cancer free and will continue to pedal the lanes of Cheshire for many years. I have two bike related goals:

1) To electrify the two mint condition, 2006, 6 speed Bromptons that my wife and I own

2) To find, purchase and restore a Dawes Galaxy for myself. It's got to be a delapidated knacker as I fancy a challenge!

Dave
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That should keep you busy.

Jonathan

PS: I was in the garage and read that on a 'phone as... I have two bike related goats. : - )
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

The come-back hasn't been quite as successful as I hoped. My continence is fine for a few days then I get varying degrees of failure, bits of dribbles and then I get dry again. It's a bit disheartening on occasions but I suspect that overall I'll be OK in the end.

It's nothing I can't cope with and way better than a pine box and a furnace!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

saudidave wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 9:05pm
The come-back hasn't been quite as successful as I hoped. My continence is fine for a few days then I get varying degrees of failure, bits of dribbles and then I get dry again. It's a bit disheartening on occasions but I suspect that overall I'll be OK in the end.

Great to have goats .. I mean goals -- always look forward never back.
I am here. Where are you?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

saudidave wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 9:05pm

You're still moving forward... and that's good!
Continence remains my only major problem, but then poor before I started any treatment. Improves as day goes on but wake every 1-2 hours every night. Oh for 5 hours uninterrupted sleep! I don't expect any improvement ever.
Solo riding mornings, but able to join Saturday club run at lunch and return with them without over-frequent stops!
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

My own continence after a radical prostatectomy never returned, despite all the exercises (a man possessed as quoted earlier). The surgeon offered me an artificial sphincter but it isn't very reliable and almost certainly would have stopped me cycling too, so I made the choice and declined that offer.
Two years three months post op I have to use 6 or 7 heavy duty pads a day, and find cycling doesn't necessarily increase the problem, but sometimes a leak occurs if the pad's slightly in the wrong place, but hey ho, I'm cancer free, and there are worse things than this. Don't get dispirited!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

uppadine wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 8:45pm My own continence ...............I'm cancer free, and there are worse things than this. Don't get dispirited!
No idea yet if cancer free, but for now I am entirely in accord! I can cope perfectly well with the inconvenience (!) day or night. Not resorted to pads, though might be a good idea for club riding.
At 73 I am very much of the view that I have already had a good run for my money and outlived most of my contemporaries, probably all who shared my lifestyle.
Dispirited I am not! Impressed by your upbeat tenacity - respect.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

uppadine wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 8:45pm My own continence after a radical prostatectomy never returned, despite all the exercises (a man possessed as quoted earlier). The surgeon offered me an artificial sphincter but it isn't very reliable and almost certainly would have stopped me cycling too, so I made the choice and declined that offer.
Two years three months post op I have to use 6 or 7 heavy duty pads a day, and find cycling doesn't necessarily increase the problem, but sometimes a leak occurs if the pad's slightly in the wrong place, but hey ho, I'm cancer free, and there are worse things than this. Don't get dispirited!
I'm not too dispirited, after all, whilst I'm 7 months post op, the first two were a nightmare of problems and I don't really count them, so not that long really. I've kept a colour coded chart upon which I record my continence journey meticulously on a daily basis and whilst progress is slowing down, I'm still improving, to the point where I now only use "drip" pads, as opposed to incontinence pads and I only use the drip pads if alcohol is involved or I'm going to a business meeting where the unlikely event of a visible wet crotch is a possibility. Most days I just have underpants on and it's only very occasionally that I wet them badly enough to need to change them. As I said, I think I'll get full continence in time.
Your experience has left me realising how fortunate I am to have made it this far and I have to admire your ability to cope with a situation that I'd find horrendous. How you manage to cope with that level of incontinence is beyond my comprehension and I have the greatest admiration for your spirit. It's amazing