How to keep bike fit when roads too dodgy.

Gearoidmuar

How to keep bike fit when roads too dodgy.

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I discovered this by accident, literally, about 12y ago. I was hit by a car which smashed 3 of my fingers and severed an extensor finger tendon, necessitating 14w off with only walking, or bus available to me as a mode of transport. I walked everywhere which included 3 walks up to Cork's then orthopoedic hospital, a really severe hill. I was walking about 50m a week. Didn't lose an ounce of course.
After 14w surgeon told me to go back cycling. Turned up to meet my mates. I'll go a few miles, said I. I went all 46miles with them at their usual pace. Bottom was a bit tender but legs were perfect.
Walking up hills good and fast is a perfect replacement for cycling.
Have been doing so for the last few days in Cork as the roads are lethal. When you're 70 you don't want to fall off.
I remember about 10y or so we had a treacherous period of about 3w when no sensible person would go out. One Sunday the foolhardy ones did. 12 cyclists presented to Cork's major casualty on one day with fractured collar-bones.
ossie

Re: How to keep bike fit when roads too dodgy.

Post by ossie »

Agree. I've really got into walking. I find its hitting the spot mentally in the same way cycling does and in the same way long distance running did when I was younger. I'm still keeping the legs turning over on an old turbo in the garage when the weather is bad but my walks are up to 5 miles now with a few short sharp hills thrown in.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Walking up hills good and fast is a perfect replacement for cycling..

+1. Only problem today, were the sheets of ice across the road! Only did 10.25 miles, took nearly 3.75Hr's, too icy to do anything other than to tiptoe along much of the route :( (Nb. And due to Boris/HM Gvt, still banned from the gym - HR at rest now at 51bpm, it's normally 42-43 :( )
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I've been Fell/Hillwalking since I was a nipper.Brilliant way to keep the legs in trim all year round.
For obvious reasons I can't get to any really big hills but I can find plenty of short and really steep hills around here when out with the dog :mrgreen:
mjr

Post by mjr »

No hills here much. Got studded tyres and try to ride less motorised roads.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

+1
When the weather's bad the proportion of time spent cycling decreased versus walking. And some of that cycling is now in the conservatory on a turbo (I'm fed up with salt corroding anodised brake calipers on the trike).
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 15.53.42.png

(gym & fitness equipment is rowing machine for upper body, for which recumbent cycling does nothing)
Syd

Post by Syd »

gbnz wrote:
Gearoidmuar wrote:Walking up hills good and fast is a perfect replacement for cycling..

+1. Only problem today, were the sheets of ice across the road! Only did 10.25 miles, took nearly 3.75Hr's, too icy to do anything other than to tiptoe along much of the route :( (Nb. And due to Boris/HM Gvt, still banned from the gym - HR at rest now at 51bpm, it's normally 42-43 :( )

Yaktrax

https://www.yaktrax.co.uk

I’ve even been out running in icy conditions with them.
Anarco

Post by Anarco »

Get a trike
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I recently bit the bullet & bought studded tyres. They are not foolproof but give enough grip that riding on sheet ice is not just possible but is fun. During the recent freeze I didn't feel the need to stop riding & just carried on. Maybe not so good on snow but on ice no (or at least few) worries.
geomannie