Osteoarthritis

Ride-sleep-repeat

Re: Osteoarthritis

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I have an appointment with a NHS Physio next month.Apparently I have to be assessed by him/her before the next stage.This could take longer than I thought.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Can anyone shed any light regarding riding clipless with Osteoarthritis?
I'm wondering if changing from a road system,in my case Look Keo,to SPDs or even Speedplay might help?
Apart from the obvious benefit of being able to walk properly with a recessed cleat system would there be any benefit on the bike?
I rode MTBs for years using Eggbeaters or Time and my Winter/CX bike has SPDs.I haven't ridden my Winter bike so much to gain any useful insight.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There are several reports in the forum that removing the constraint of the cleated shoe has reduced pain.

But it's hard to tell whether a different cleated position would have achieved the same.

As always: I recommend doing the experiment.

Jonathan
Ride-sleep-repeat

I have:-
Look Keo.
SPD.
Eggbeaters.
I would need to buy some 2nd hand Speedplay pedals/cleats and probably eggbeater cleats.
I have 23 straight days off later this month so I have plenty of time to tinker with all the above.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Ordered Speedplay Zero.
The 2nd hand prices are a bit silly so bought new.
I'm going to install them on the Turbo bike to get them set up and to get used to the new in/out before I road test.
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

Had a bike fit and revealed a couple of issues.

I am taller now than pre TKRs and I wanted to ensure that it wasn’t the bike giving me pain in the knees it was the process of rehab recovery.

I ride SPDs on my road bike. The cleats were moved back and inwards to move my feet forward and out. Also it was noted that my cranks were too long! So after discussion and web research I have replaced the 175mm cranks with 165mm. The 175mm are standard on the size of my bikes but it could be that riding with 170mm could have helped to prolong my knees even further.

I have used the new 165mm cranks for just 75 miles but they seem to be much kinder on my new knees. also the shorter cranks open up the hips apparently. Time will tell.

The bike fitter also discussed widening my stance. A solution he advised would be to buy Speedplay pedals. Before going down that expensive road I will first try some pedal extenders from SJS Cycles.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

@beardybiker01
Taller, by how much?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

beardybiker01 wrote: 5 May 2021, 10:16am Had a bike fit and revealed a couple of issues...
Thanks for posting.

Very interesting, and I hope that it encourages others to get going again, even if that requires some modifications.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

beardybiker01 wrote: 5 May 2021, 10:16am also the shorter cranks open up the hips apparently. Time will tell.
It’s good he’s sorted some problems that being clipped in can cause. Shorter cranks opening the hips is interesting did you get an explanation of why this is so.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Shorter cranks will give less hip flexion, but I don't know what "opening the hips" is meant to mean, as Humpty Dumpty might have said.
Ride-sleep-repeat

beardybiker01 wrote: 5 May 2021, 10:16am Had a bike fit and revealed a couple of issues.

I am taller now than pre TKRs and I wanted to ensure that it wasn’t the bike giving me pain in the knees it was the process of rehab recovery.

I ride SPDs on my road bike. The cleats were moved back and inwards to move my feet forward and out. Also it was noted that my cranks were too long! So after discussion and web research I have replaced the 175mm cranks with 165mm. The 175mm are standard on the size of my bikes but it could be that riding with 170mm could have helped to prolong my knees even further.

I have used the new 165mm cranks for just 75 miles but they seem to be much kinder on my new knees. also the shorter cranks open up the hips apparently. Time will tell.

The bike fitter also discussed widening my stance. A solution he advised would be to buy Speedplay pedals. Before going down that expensive road I will first try some pedal extenders from SJS Cycles.
I have seen a few videos on Youtube,mainly from Bikefiters who all seem to recomend Speedplay due to the wide range fore/aft/lateral adjustment and float.My cranks are 170mm.I believe Speedplay spindles are about 5mm wider than Look road pedals and different length spindles are available also.
I am also interested in how much taller you are after your knee ops!!!!!

I'll report back once I've received,fitted and tested the Speedplays!
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 5 May 2021, 11:16am @beardybiker01
Taller, by how much?
[
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 5 May 2021, 7:27pm I am also interested in how much taller you are after your knee ops!!!!!
I’m taller by half an inch. I was quite bandy before the op now with straight legs back to my normal height.
Ride-sleep-repeat

The Speedplays are fitted to the indoor bike.Not as difficult to attatch the cleats as some people suggest.A bit different being in three parts but simple really and they do have excellent adjustment.
One thing I found a bit strange,well two really,all bolts are Phillips head rather than Allen Key :? and I had to use a spanner to fit the pedals :shock: I can't remember the last time I used anything other than an Allen Key to fit pedals :shock:
Trial starts this morning.
Ride-sleep-repeat

I spent a good 20-30 mins today mastering clipping into these.Clipping out is simple but after years of toe-down-and-press just pushing straight down is not as easy as it sounds.I think I've got it but I need to have a few proper sessions on the indoor bike to really master it and get the positioning spot on.
Everyone seems to say they are much easier to clip into than Look/Shimano.Maybe so after a few rides but I'm glad I chose not to test them out on the road.
Ride-sleep-repeat

I have now done four 'virtual' rides on the indoor bike with the Speedplays.I've done a fair bit of adjustment but think I've got the cleats in the best position.I have moved the cleats laterally to widen my stance and after two or three minor adjustments they seem to be in the right place.I've also moved them fully back and had to lower my saddle slightly.
All in all it's taken around 100 indoor miles to set these up but I'm now getting no pain/aches at all.I now of course have to fit them to my road bike and test them out there.
I'm going to do a 25-30 mile ride with Look cleats on the road bike then do the same ride with the Speedplays to see if/when the niggles start on the Looks to compare with if/when it starts with the Speedplays.