Osteoarthritis

ChrisButch

Re: Osteoarthritis

Post by ChrisButch »

I've developed the first signs of oa in one knee. My physio has recommended an 'offloader' knee brace - different from the widely available over-the-counter knee braces as they transfer the load away from the affected joint. Has anybody any experience of these, specifically the Ossur Unloader? They look like medieval instruments of torture, and it's hard to believe they don't affect mobility, but apparently they're used for running etc.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

ChrisButch wrote: 13 May 2021, 2:09pm I've developed the first signs of oa in one knee. My physio has recommended an 'offloader' knee brace - different from the widely available over-the-counter knee braces as they transfer the load away from the affected joint. Has anybody any experience of these, specifically the Ossur Unloader? They look like medieval instruments of torture, and it's hard to believe they don't affect mobility, but apparently they're used for running etc.
Had a look at the Ossur and I would worry that it would be worse when not wearing it?
I'm no expert of course but if you've just developed OA then surely there are other things to try and this would be a last resort before surgery?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 12 May 2021, 10:14am I have now done four 'virtual' rides on the indoor bike with the Speedplays.I've done a fair bit of adjustment but think I've got the cleats in the best position.I have moved the cleats laterally to widen my stance and after two or three minor adjustments they seem to be in the right place.I've also moved them fully back and had to lower my saddle slightly.
All in all it's taken around 100 indoor miles to set these up but I'm now getting no pain/aches at all.I now of course have to fit them to my road bike and test them out there.
I'm going to do a 25-30 mile ride with Look cleats on the road bike then do the same ride with the Speedplays to see if/when the niggles start on the Looks to compare with if/when it starts with the Speedplays.
By moving the cleats back, you are altering the workload of your quads vs. hamstrings & glutes, so that your quads now are doing a greater share of the work than before. (Thats not a complaint, thats for information. It may help, who knows?)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

ChrisButch wrote: 13 May 2021, 2:09pm I've developed the first signs of oa in one knee. My physio has recommended an 'offloader' knee brace - different from the widely available over-the-counter knee braces as they transfer the load away from the affected joint. Has anybody any experience of these, specifically the Ossur Unloader? They look like medieval instruments of torture, and it's hard to believe they don't affect mobility, but apparently they're used for running etc.
These things are wrapped round your leg above and below the knee, and have a hinge joining the 2 parts of the device?
I have just wrapped my hands round my leg, and the skin will rotate round my leg at least 30 degrees, I think, and move up and down about an inch and a half.
Can something wrapped round your leg really take some load off the knee joint?
If these questions aren't too rude, how old are you, and have you had an X ray or other imaging procedure?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

To some extent you can take some load off the knee joint. Think ofa brace that is egg timer shaped. Your thigh drops in and so soesyour calf, in an inverted way and they are spaced to just stop all the ,load on the knee. I bodged such a thing with a hinged brace, some bits of plastic andclots of kinetic and duct tape. Many flaws but it did slightly ease the discomfort in my knee in the load respect. I find that frequent cycling helps. A weekend off and the knee is sore on Monday morning until I ride to work. I also avoidlow twiddly gears, not enough load to keep things smooth.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

531colin wrote: 15 May 2021, 7:07pm
These things are wrapped round your leg above and below the knee, and have a hinge joining the 2 parts of the device?
No, it's not those over the counter ones. The Unloaders are much more complex, and have to be supplied and fitted by a physio.
Last edited by ChrisButch on 16 May 2021, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin

Post by 531colin »

ChrisButch wrote: 16 May 2021, 11:32am
531colin wrote: 15 May 2021, 7:07pm
No, it's not those over the counter ones. The Unloaders are much more complex, and have to be supplied and fitted by a physio.
Looks like it wraps round the outside of the leg to me.
Its your money.
I'm in my seventies, I have had in the last year or three what my (NHS) physio. described as "age-related" deterioration of the knee cartilage, which she said would resolve in 6 weeks, and it did.
About 20 years ago I had a proper tear of the medial meniscus, that was a different kettle of fish, and required (micro) surgery.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

531colin wrote: 16 May 2021, 6:12pm
Its your money.
Who knows, it might be your money - they can be NHS-prescribed :)
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

ChrisButch wrote: 17 May 2021, 8:42am
531colin wrote: 16 May 2021, 6:12pm
Its your money.
Who knows, it might be your money - they can be NHS-prescribed :)
I had two prescribed on the NHS. Maybe my knees were too far gone, they didn’t do much for me.
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

And I had orthotic inserts for my shoes which did seem to help.