Osteoarthritis

Ride-sleep-repeat

Osteoarthritis

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Any sufferers?
A few months ago I thought I'd twisted my knee.You know the thing a sort of dull ache.Never really gave it that much thought as it was more of an annoyance than outright pain.Over the last few weeks I've noticed that when I've been sat for a while,or when I get up in the morning both knees feel 'tired' and it's an effort to stand.Getting out of the car is similar.My wife suggests it could be Osteoarthritis?I can walk OK,cycle OK and as long as I'm moving my legs my knees are fine.
I'm not going to bother my GP at this stage for obvious reasons and doing internet searches( :roll: ) I suspect my wife could be on the right track.
Do we have any sufferers or does anyone know someone who has Osteoarthritis?There is some family history on my mothers side but it tends to be the female members affected.
I'm not keen on this getting old malarkey.
Paulatic

Re: Osteoarthritis

Post by Paulatic »

Diagnosed with it in one knee 30 years ago.
I had two options
A) worry about it and take care
or
B) carry on as normal
I chose option B as I believe it’s important to keep the muscles around the joints in good order. I’ve a bit in some fingers also and leant the guitar to exercise them. I took that Chrondo * stuff for a number of years before deciding there was no noticeable benefit.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
grufty

Post by grufty »

Yes,two sufferers here! Best advice is to keep moving, especially cycling. Mrs Grufty was particularly bad several years ago but kept cycling and walking(with poles). She got really bad about 3-4 years ago, but kept cycling and kick scooting until her TKR in 2018. She cycled until the day before her op, and was back on it within 2 weeks.
Hopefully you won't get to that stage, but keeping muscle tone definitely works. We also use shorter cranks which seems to help. It's our opinion that bikes and scooters are the 'invisible' mobility aids used by many who find walking difficult.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Don't worry about bothering your GP because of the outbreak. There's a few questions that she'd probably like to ask. I'd start by email.

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

You may even find that you can self-refer to an NHS physio, or your GP can refer you.
I had a grumbly knee a year or so back, NHS physio said it was "age associated" wear and tear....but the good news was she said it would be back to normal in 6 weeks.....the best news was she was right, it was 6 weeks to the day!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm 68 riddled with it and have been for a long time 15 years plus,knees,back,shoulders,left hip,finger joints,right hip replaced three years ago due to it.
My advice is take 1500mg of Gloucosamine Sulfate with Condriotin daily,Omega 3 oil(not Cod liver oil)
Stop eating red meat it agravates it,eat more fruit and veg.
Keep moving,cycling and swimming is highly recomended,take up Yoga.
Have fun :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 15 Jan 2021, 9:19am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

"My advice is take 1500mg of Gloucosamine Sulfate with Condriotin daily,Omega 3 oil(not Cod liver oil)"

Any peer reviewed evidence that these have any useful effect other than placebo?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cochrane Review: "Glucosamine for osteoarthritis"
https://www.cochrane.org/CD002946/MUSKEL_glucosamine-for-osteoarthritis

Cochrane Review: "Chondroitin for osteoarthritis"
https://www.cochrane.org/CD005614/MUSKEL_chondroitin-osteoarthritis

,.. and everything they have on osteoarthritis:
https://www.cochrane.org/search/site/osteoarthritis

Jonathan
delilah

Post by delilah »

It may help it if you could build up your muscles around the knees to stabilize them.
I have started to do squats with a resistance band around my thighs. There are plenty of you tube videos to help you. Start out gently.
IMO, if its not too bad, Glucosamine may help but its treating the symptoms not the cause!
Ride-sleep-repeat

So it looks like the internet is mostly correct then and movement and exercise is the key!
I think I'll see if I can get to see or chat to a GP at some point before trying any supplements etc as I'm on a few meds already so I'll check whether there will be any conflict.
As well as cycling I was going to the Gym,mainly cardio and some machine work.i was also doing around 5K on the Treadmill.I wonder if Treadmill running could have possible negative effects?I also stretch regularly.
It seems to a come on in the last few months or maybe it's the low temperatures that have brought it on.
I'll monitor them over the next couple of weeks and take it up with my GP.We have a works physio but it's not easy to get a session with him at the moment.

Thanks all!
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:As well as cycling I was going to the Gym,mainly cardio and some machine work.i was also doing around 5K on the Treadmill.I wonder if Treadmill running could have possible negative effects?I also stretch regularly.
IMHO, I'd avoid repetitive high dynamic (ie shock) loads eg running, purely on the basis of that's what I was told after after a hip replacement. But I'd certainly advise general exercise with some attention to knee stability. Less running, more cycling ;)
"42"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:So it looks like the internet is mostly correct then and movement and exercise is the key!

Yes, you're generally going to get advice to maintain muscle strength and mobility.

squeaker wrote:I'd avoid repetitive high dynamic (ie shock) loads eg running...

That one 's hard to generalise, but that seems reasonable in terms of minimising further wear and tear. "Pushing through pain" is generally deprecated for just about all musculoskeletal disorders.

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:I wonder if Treadmill running could have possible negative effects?

As above.

Jonathan
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've got it in the hips and knees. Consultant says it's moderate and the joints are good. However I've been off the bike for 2 months because of pain in my left thigh when I ride. I don't know if the arthritis is causing this. I'm running 3 miles every day as I have no pain when I run and it seems to help. My consultant has said in the past that he had no problem with my running as long as I was comfortable with it. I woke up with a lot of pain in my thigh this morning. Been for my run and pain has gone. will be back tonight I presume. Arthritis likes us sitting around.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Got it in both knees and hips, one elbow, wrist and finger joints. The time for intervention came when the most advanced knee became too painful to walk without taking painkillers. Despite exercising, bone was grinding on bone on one side of the knee causing the leg to noticably bow and puting strain on the hip on that side. I also couldn't get a full nights sleep due to the leg locking. Unlocking it was excrutiatingly painful so I had to take a painkiller at bedtime in anticipation of this happening. A half knee replacement sorted out a the pain from the knee but now that has gone I'm more aware of just how my hips and the other knee are progressing. :(
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Ride-sleep-repeat

I've also noticed that if I've been sat on the sofa for sometime,get up then go upstairs my left knee seems to 'give out' temporarily.It feels like I'm going to fall over to my left.This almost instantly cures itself but it is a strange feeling!