Osteoarthritis

leftpoole

Re: Osteoarthritis

Post by leftpoole »

I have arthritis in my knees, right hip and neck. It hurts.
I deal with neck by rubbed in Ibuprofen gel. I cannot take oral Ibuprofen due to issues with my heart (left ventricle). I also rub Ibuprofen gel into my knees. It is a suitable thing to use and gives some assistance.
However I have had three lots of injections into my knees, of Steroids. The first time I was unsure of the result. The second time was a definite help. I recently had the third sesion and it is now certainly helping. Not a particular comfortable experience, the long needle into knee joint, but it has worked. I recommend. Ask your Doctor. My Doctor will inject it no more than twice a year. I have had three lots over 18 months.
I have only been able to ride recently after a long time off the bike.
Result?
John
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

I had osteoarthritis in both knees. Kept them going by cycling and Pilates until last March when they were both replaced.

Tried glucosamine for years, didn’t seem to help.

X-rays prior to operation, bone on bone in both knees.
049C6AAC-B9D0-4397-BEE1-7B750B67CE76.jpeg
1373E9CC-EBAF-405C-B3D2-BDA8A8565503.jpeg
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Your knees look like mine! Maybe we could be twins/
John
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I've tried to get in touch with my GP numerous times but they don't answer the phone.
Today I had a chat with NHS 111 who told me to have a one-on-one consultation with a Pharmacist.The first 5 mins of the call to 111 is taken up telling you what to do if you want covid advice.I almost hung up as I was getting bored of pressing 2.They sent all my info over and a local pharmacist rang me earlier today.
Basically they have recommended I use an Ibuprofen 10% Gel 3 times a day for 7-10 days.If that has no effect then they want me to call them an discuss it further.
My wife could have told me that.I'm doing it anyway but feel like I'm being fobbed off.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:Basically they have recommended I use an Ibuprofen 10% Gel 3 times a day for 7-10 days.If that has no effect then they want me to call them an discuss it further.
My wife could have told me that.I'm doing it anyway but feel like I'm being fobbed off.

Three days in and I'm happy to report that the Ibuprofen 10% gel appears to be working.It has eased the stiffness quite considerably 8)

reohn2 wrote:I'm 68 riddled with it and have been for a long time 15 years plus,knees,back,shoulders,left hip,finger joints,right hip replaced three years ago due to it.
My advice is take 1500mg of Gloucosamine Sulfate with Condriotin daily,Omega 3 oil(not Cod liver oil)
Stop eating red meat it agravates it,eat more fruit and veg.
Keep moving,cycling and swimming is highly recomended,take up Yoga.
Have fun :)

Although the Ibuprofen 10% Gel does appear to be working I'm not sure it would be wise to use it three times a day every day(not to mention the expense!)so I've taken your,and some others I've spoken to,recommendation and ordered a couple of months supply of Glucosamine 500mg & Chondroitin 400mg.I'll overlap this with the Ibuprofen gel until my current tube runs out.Hopefully the G500/C400mg tablets will be OK.If not I will then consult my GP.

@ reohn2 how long were you taking the supplement before you noticed a difference?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:Basically they have recommended I use an Ibuprofen 10% Gel 3 times a day for 7-10 days.If that has no effect then they want me to call them an discuss it further.

Three days in and I'm happy to report that the Ibuprofen 10% gel appears to be working.It has eased the stiffness quite considerably 8)

reohn2 wrote:I'm 68 riddled with it and have been for a long time 15 years plus,knees,back,shoulders,left hip,finger joints,right hip replaced three years ago due to it.
My advice is take 1500mg of Gloucosamine Sulfate with Condriotin daily,Omega 3 oil(not Cod liver oil)
Stop eating red meat it agravates it,eat more fruit and veg.
Keep moving,cycling and swimming is highly recomended,take up Yoga.
Have fun :)

Although the Ibuprofen 10% Gel does appear to be working I'm not sure it would be wise to use it three times a day every day(not to mention the expense!)so I've taken your,and some others I've spoken to,recommendation and ordered a couple of months supply of Glucosamine 500mg & Chondroitin 400mg.I'll overlap this with the Ibuprofen gel until my current tube runs out.Hopefully the G500/C400mg tablets will be OK.If not I will then consult my GP.

@ reohn2 how long were you taking the supplement before you noticed a difference?

It can take a few weeks to come on stream,the chemist who advised me on it soem 15 years ago said if there was no improvement after six weeks it wouldn't do me any good,but I noticed a big difference after two to three weeks.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ride-sleep-repeat

reohn2 wrote:It can take a few weeks to come on stream,the chemist who advised me on it soem 15 years ago said if there was no improvement after six weeks it wouldn't do me any good,but I noticed a big difference after two to three weeks.

Thank you :D
Ride-sleep-repeat

reohn2 wrote:It can take a few weeks to come on stream,the chemist who advised me on it soem 15 years ago said if there was no improvement after six weeks it wouldn't do me any good,but I noticed a big difference after two to three weeks.

I've been taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin plus Omega 3 for about 12 days now.My supply of Ibuprofen 10% Gel ran out a week ago so it's been purely
Glucosamine/Chondroitin+Omega3 since then.There is definitely an improvement.My right knee is totally pain/stiffness free but my left is not quite 100%.May take time?
The weather is also slightly warmer so I'm not convinced that the supplements are the only reason for the improvement but early signs are promising!In total it's cost me around £20 for 3 months supply of the tablets.That is much cheaper than the cost of the Ibuprofen Gel which is £5-7 a tube and lasts around a week or so.
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

Had my 12 month check on my new knees today.
All good and consultant happy with result.

Before and after.
Attachments
61F2D481-8B43-46CE-972F-D68C62776FFC.jpeg
771ABE01-B915-46EA-8BCD-3DBD97DC7CEF.jpeg
Ride-sleep-repeat

beardybiker01 wrote:Had my 12 month check on my new knees today.
All good and consultant happy with result.

Before and after.

I've just had X-Rays on both knees today so it will be interesting to compare the results to your 'before' picture!
At the very least we'll have some better insight so the GP can decide what's best moving forward.
beardybiker01

Post by beardybiker01 »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:

I've just had X-Rays on both knees today so it will be interesting to compare the results to your 'before' picture!
At the very least we'll have some better insight so the GP can decide what's best moving forward.[/quote]

After twelve months I’m very happy with my new knees although the first twelve weeks of rehab and recovery were hard work and very, very painful.

Hope your treatment goes well.
Henry Will cycle

Post by Henry Will cycle »

Does Anyone know of a particular age that this is generally diagnosed. As for a while I’ve had particularly bad joints and once I consulted a physio he said I had high lactic acid build up in my joints meaning that I often jar or roll my knee. However, it wouldn’t explain why often my knee locks out. I’m just curious really.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Henry Will cycle wrote:Does Anyone know of a particular age that this is generally diagnosed. As for a while I’ve had particularly bad joints and once I consulted a physio he said I had high lactic acid build up in my joints meaning that I often jar or roll my knee. However, it wouldn’t explain why often my knee locks out. I’m just curious really.

Osteoarthritis in general or in knees?

I don't know about the connection with lactate... it can be involved in inflammation and it can be used in the diagnosis of arthritis, but neither of those sound right. Was that following it being measured in joint fluid?

Jonathan
Henry Will cycle

Post by Henry Will cycle »

Jdsk wrote:
Henry Will cycle wrote:Does Anyone know of a particular age that this is generally diagnosed. As for a while I’ve had particularly bad joints and once I consulted a physio he said I had high lactic acid build up in my joints meaning that I often jar or roll my knee. However, it wouldn’t explain why often my knee locks out. I’m just curious really.

Osteoarthritis in general or in knees?

I don't know about the connection with lactate... it can be involved in inflammation and it can be used in the diagnosis of arthritis, but neither of those sound right. Was that following it being measured in joint fluid?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Osteoarthrosis in general really but for me, it’s my knees that lockout. I read up on the NHS and they said GP's generally diagnose this from 45+.

I dont often experience issues post cycling but more other sports that move my knees in multiple directions rather than one repetitive pedal motion. This assessment was following a few weeks of therapy after a rugby injury.

I’ve never really heard of osteoarthrosis until today.

Henry
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Related a short podcast I found interesting on Osteoarthritis: "Treating osteoarthritis with antidepressants https://www.thenakedscientists.com/podcasts/short/treating-osteoarthritis-antidepressants.

Only 4½ mins from the Naked Scientists team.

Ian