Got Covid ! My experience...

james01

Got Covid ! My experience...

Post by james01 »

Wife & I tested positive a couple of weeks ago. People may be interested in our experience, and I'd REALLY like to hear other "victims'" stories.
First symptom was dry coughing & feeling slightly unwell. Ordering on-line home test was easy and efficient, results came back quickly. We both felt quite weak and wobbly for about a week - spent a lot of time in bed. We had normal temperatures throughout. We both suffered varying degrees of headache over the first week. Taste and smell remained pretty normal. The worst seems now to be over. We've still got annoying dry coughs and still feel a bit weak. We need daytime rests. We're being very careful about launching back into cycling prematurely. We feel fortunate that we seem to have got off lightly compared to many. I'm in my early seventies, wife 3 years younger. We're both fit, with no underlying health issues. We haven't used GP or any other medical services.
I'd be fascinated to hear other peoples stories.
thirdcrank

Re: Got Covid ! My experience...

Post by thirdcrank »

Touch wood, all ok here.

Get well soon!
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

Thank you for posting about your Covid experience. Glad you both seem to be on the road to recovery.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mrs Syd almost certainly had it in early March 2020. Mild flu symptoms but the clincher was lost of smell and taste for several weeks.

I suspect I picked it up from her. Fine on a Monday, woke up with a fever (38.8) on Tuesday, woke Wednesday with temperature normal but felt knackered for the day. Woke Thursday feeling fine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Nothing to report... before Xmas, my opposite number at work (f, mid-40s, non-smoker) lost her sense of smell/taste and tested +ive. Hubby reported same, her 2 teenage children remained asymptomatic. Of other chums,husband and wife of 2 under tens are sure the kids had it, back in March. Other than that, not aware of anyone within my orbit...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

james01 wrote: I'd REALLY like to hear other "victims'" stories.

Back in late January last year I was working in Malaysia and my boss' husband (mid/late thirties) was diagnosed with an unknown pneumonia that filled his lungs with fluid and hospitalised him. She got really ill as well. Flu like symptoms.

Didn't know what it was at the time, but we were both in daily contact with people returning from Hubei and Wuhan so... probably... ? That or Influenza A (a colleagues' father died from that around then).

My wife was pretty ill for a couple of days, my daughter was ill for a day or so and I felt unusual for a couple of days (tightish chest). Nothing to report really.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

My SinL -48 and type 2 diabetic- eldest daughter's husband got it in mid November,had pneumonia with it andnspent 5 days in hospital along with four weeks off work recovering he's just about getting back to normal and ablemtovdo a full week's work(he's an HGV driver)
My second SinL -47 a human resource worker,working with the homeless- has just informed me he's contracted it,ATM his symptoms are mild,I'm hoping they stay that way.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

As posted in another thread both my wife and I tested positive in December.She had previously tested positive in April but was told to ignore that as it was probably a false positive due to the testing early on being suspect.We both suffered only mild symptoms and would both have continued working under normal circumstances.The continuous bombardment of texts,calls and emails for nearly two weeks was much more of an inconvenience than the actual Virus!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My Dad caught it earlier this year. Never got to see a Dr, just a nurse pumping him full of steroids and morphine so he was "high as a kite" for the week it took him to die.

My hope those recently testing positive get through it quickly and safely and fortunately many have "a mild case" or "more of an inconvenience" but do not underestimate the potential of the disease. I raise my own experience having seen a few other posts here from a minority bemoaning that e.g. their gym is closed and getting angry with imposed safety steps being taken.

Ian
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Back in March my riding performance took a dive. I can't say what it was and they weren't testing then anyway unless we had loss of taste and smell which I didn't. Symptoms were tight chest and impaired air intake. I have never had any sort of chest infection in my 68 years. I really struggled. After about 3 or 4 weeks I improved and was pleased with progress. I dismissed it as a cold. I cycled around Minehead when the lockdown eased and also cycled to Monmouth and back (90+ miles each way). About this time I had temporary deafness causes by swelling in the inner ear. This lasted about 10 weeks and was treated with a steroid spray.
Fast forward to November and I began struggling again - with joint pains, muscle pain and fatigue. Coincidently these are symptoms of Long Covid. However, I'm still cycling and probably wouldn't have noticed as much if I didn't cycle vigorously.
Now I don't know whether this is Covid related, and wouldn't claim it was, in consideration for those poor people who have really suffered. But I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar and did they see an improvement with time?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

gxaustin wrote:Back in March my riding performance took a dive. I can't say what it was and they weren't testing then anyway unless we had loss of taste and smell which I didn't. Symptoms were tight chest and impaired air intake. I have never had any sort of chest infection in my 68 years. I really struggled. After about 3 or 4 weeks I improved and was pleased with progress. I dismissed it as a cold. I cycled around Minehead when the lockdown eased and also cycled to Monmouth and back (90+ miles each way). About this time I had temporary deafness causes by swelling in the inner ear. This lasted about 10 weeks and was treated with a steroid spray.
Fast forward to November and I began struggling again - with joint pains, muscle pain and fatigue. Coincidently these are symptoms of Long Covid. However, I'm still cycling and probably wouldn't have noticed as much if I didn't cycle vigorously.
Now I don't know whether this is Covid related, and wouldn't claim it was, in consideration for those poor people who have really suffered. But I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar and did they see an improvement with time?

Winter 19/20 i only had my usual round of coughs and sneezes but did suffer with 'temporary' deafness similar to yours for @ 3 months upto Easter - i've had it before and each time its cleared up without intervention beyond removal of wax.

I've not, as far as i can tell, had symptomatic Covid or anything like up to now but curiously the last couple of weeks i've been suffering with similar symptoms to yourself, general lethargy, muscle and joint pains - think a dose of flu but less extreme. indeed, i've not felt well enough to ride at all this last week although i have managed a short walk each day.

I'm wary of laying too much at Covids door, i'm sure most people will have experienced 'symptoms' that are shared by Covid and numerous other ailments.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I'm wary of laying too much at Covids door, i'm sure most people will have experienced 'symptoms' that are shared by Covid and numerous other ailments.

Quite right. It would be insulting to those who have really suffered. I know several. Testing would have answered the question and I wonder how many were infected by people with no or minor symptoms?
I'm curious because my temporary deafness wasn't accompanied by excess wax but by swelling within the inner ear. My achy joints and fatigue have gone on for over 3 months now.
But hey ho I was vaccinated this morning by our very efficient NHS staff in the nearby Community Centre :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

gxaustin wrote:I'm curious because my temporary deafness wasn't accompanied by excess wax but by swelling within the inner ear. My achy joints and fatigue have gone on for over 3 months now.

My deafness wasn'tcaused by the wax build up but like yours, by internal swelling - the wax built up in part because the swelling was preventing the normal self adjustment of ear wax production :wink:

Fairly certain my current malais is some form of flu.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

foxyrider wrote:I've not, as far as i can tell, had symptomatic Covid or anything like up to now but curiously the last couple of weeks i've been suffering with similar symptoms to yourself, general lethargy, muscle and joint pains - think a dose of flu but less extreme. indeed, i've not felt well enough to ride at all this last week although i have managed a short walk each day.

foxyrider wrote:Fairly certain my current malais is some form of flu.

Why is that? The clinical effects of 'flu and COVID-19 can be similar.

Any relevant investigations?

Jonathan
ossie

Post by ossie »

Not had it but my sister and her hubby had it 2 weeks back (both work for the NHS and in their 60's) . They actually had snotty / wet cold symptoms and nothing worse despite these not being the classic symptoms. To them it was typical of the common cold.

My sons partner (NHS) much younger and fitter suffered far worse, extremely high temperature and fever.