Knee sleeve/brace for arthritic knee

yelfordrover

Knee sleeve/brace for arthritic knee

Post by yelfordrover »

My knee pain started 2 years ago and a scan showed it was arthritis. I am well aware of treating the person and not the scan so have been making loads of mods to keep riding. Mechanically these have been a change to 150mm cranks, lower gearing, modifying cleats to give loads of float, moving cleats back as far as poss (did try mid-foot position but found out of saddle almost impossible). I've also tried K tape to pull the knee cap inwards which did help a bit. I originally found that my normal leg warmers made things worse by pressing against the knee cap so used some thin tights nicked from my better half. Bearing this latter point in mind, I have just tried a knee sleeve for a few rides. This has no hole for the knee cap so I expected it to give a lot of grief. In fact it wasn't too bad. This got me thinking that a sleeve with a hole in it might be even better. There are loads out there but am aware that my "solid" sleeve rubs like mad at the back.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good one which doesn't rub?

Many thanks.
AMMoffat

Re: Knee sleeve/brace for arthritic knee

Post by AMMoffat »

Good luck with finding a knee brace that works. I developed a collection of knee braces/supports for my arthritic knee in the years before my knee replacement. I found that any pressure at all on the joint was unbearable regardless of whether there was a knee cap hole or not and I didn't find any version that would be comfortable for cycling. Your knee is of course different to mine but you might find that a knee support with a hole does not help. The best option I found was to keep the joint warm with knee warmers that were stretchy enough to not put pressure on the knee cap.