Obesity epidemic and our addiction to oil

mjr

Re: Obesity epidemic and our addiction to oil

Post by mjr »

atlas_shrugged wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 3:01pm I guess at present only the oligarchy companies such as Amazon are able to get the appropriate planning permission and investment for lockers and this would be beyond the resources of a small local organic food company.
Locally, the lockers all seem to be sited on the premises of oil giants or chain stores. As well as getting planning permission and physically installing the lockers, there's also probably the control technology/software, security measures and insurance which seems likely to be beyond many small local sellers — unless someone here knows how they could?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect that the queuing early in the first lockdown tended to encourage more queuing. Just as talk of hoarding seems to have encouraged that. I don't know to what extent social media influenced this but the traditional media, especially the telly, stoke it up as much as they can eg the anticipated re-opening of more shops and pubs outdoors today. I fancy they have two storylines prepared: fighting in the aisles // total flop. An each-way bet.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We have not changed our shopping habits very much, except for one thing. I used to occasionally do some shopping on a Saturday, and now I almost never do. Saturday was simply because it was a day off work that the shops were all open, but it also tends to be busy for that reason. Now, I go on a midweek evening, preferably late, instead.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

This is a good analysis (IMHO) looking at obesity among other things:

https://youtu.be/98UZOybUyFg