Achilles pain.

ChrisP100

Achilles pain.

Post by ChrisP100 »

I currently cycle commute about 65-70 miles a week and I have recently developed a tightness in my left Achilles that translates into pain in my heel when I try and stretch my calf. I haven't done anything different recently, or changed my seat height or reach.

I use 2-bolt Shimano SPD's and I normally unclip my left foot when I stop. The only thing I can think it might be is that I may have slightly over extended my leg when I pulled up at a set of lights where the ground was uneven.

It's not effecting my riding (apart from the odd twinge when I put my foot down at lights/junctions). Is there anything I can do to alleviate this or is it something that is just going to take time to sort itself out?

Thanks in advance.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Achilles pain.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
How old are you?
I had a minor problem with same spot on foot, was using ladders and crouching down.
Be careful using ladders that's standing on rungs for long time.
Be careful crouching on the balls of your feet, I no longer do this, I kneel.
Age, I am 62 and had a problem at forty.
I say minor but actually intense stinging.
No amount of exercise would induce for me this problem / aggravate it, only what I listed above.

Does it hurt when cycling normally seated, or standing or not at all?
Does it hurt off the bike like stairs etc?

If it persists (tendons and ligaments connections etc can take up to 6 weeks to heal), but if its damaged / persists then you probably need to seek advise with GP.

Its probaly here-
https://patient.info/doctor/heel-pain
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NHS advice for running, but probably about the same for cycling:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/knee-pain-and-other-running-injuries/

If it persists please don't put off talking to your GP, preferably by email. One likely outcome is a consultation with a physiotherapist.

Usual principles for this sort of thing: maintain mobility, maintain strength, don't try and push though pain.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 23 Mar 2021, 10:23am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
How old are you?
I had a minor problem with same spot on foot, was using ladders and crouching down.
Be careful using ladders that's standing on rungs for long time.
Be careful crouching on the balls of your feet, I no longer do this, I kneel.
Age, I am 62 and had a problem at forty.
I say minor but actually intense stinging.
No amount of exercise would induce for me this problem / aggravate it, only what I listed above.

Does it hurt when cycling normally seated, or standing or not at all?
Does it hurt off the bike like stairs etc?

If it persists (tendons and ligaments connections etc can take up to 6 weeks to heal), but if its damaged / persists then you probably need to seek advise with GP.

Its probaly here-
https://patient.info/doctor/heel-pain

I'm 47 and not particularly injury prone.

Like you say 'intense stinging' but only when I drop my heel. Doesn't hurt at all when I run or cycle.

I'll give it a few more weeks and see if it gets better/worse, and in the mean time try not to aggravate the issue.

Jdsk wrote:NHS advice for running, but probably about the same for cycling:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/knee-pain-and-other-running-injuries/

If it persists please don't put off talking to your GP, preferably by email. One likely outcome is a consultation with a physiotherapist.

Usual advice for this sort of thing: maintain mobility, maintain strength, don't try and push though pain.

Jonathan

I'm away with work in a few weeks, and I'll have about 3 weeks off the bike. I'm going to be doing a core strengthening program, and hopefully some yoga exercises that will help with my flexibility.

We'll see how that works out...
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Well folks...

I'm back from my trip, and I'm now properly injured. I went running a few times to keep my CV fitness up, and I now have a calf tear and (I think) a partial Achilles tear. It happened towards the end of a fairly slow 3.5 mile run. I got a bit of a tightness in my calf, and then an intense shooting pain right down my calf into my heel. Now any movement forward in my injured leg when I have my foot planted causes excruciating pain in my heel. I've given it the usual RICE treatment and I've been taking over the counter NSIAD's. I've also been wearing a pretty substantial brace, but due to COVID restrictions (I'm currently self-isolating) I have not yet been to a doctor.

What are the prospects of riding any time soon?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd email my GP. And ask if it's possible to have a remote consultation with a physiotherapist.

Jonathan
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

My advice is deal with this sooner rather than later as I ignored problems and had quite a few hospital appointments because of it and have modified footwear due to the damage and resulting posture issues.

Some health centres have a muscular skeletal team who can advise on exercises to alleviate and keep movement in joint after damage heals.

I ended up in a boot and crutches for months as a culmination of years of not dealing with knee and ankle injuries, these still plague me to this day with knee and ankle pain.

Wish you luck
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 5 May 2021, 9:46pm I'd email my GP. And ask if it's possible to have a remote consultation with a physiotherapist.

Jonathan
+1
Its obvious that home DIY remedies are not fixing it.
Professional advice now. GP / Physio.
I wouldn't do anything till you have seen GP etc, running is definitely a no no.
You keep saying "tear" but this is unsubstantiated at the moment unless you have seen a professional?
You seem to putting off contacting a professional............

I admit I hate clipped in pedals and shoes (clipless).
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 6 May 2021, 3:26pm Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 5 May 2021, 9:46pm I'd email my GP. And ask if it's possible to have a remote consultation with a physiotherapist.

Jonathan
+1
Its obvious that home DIY remedies are not fixing it.
Professional advice now. GP / Physio.
I wouldn't do anything till you have seen GP etc, running is definitely a no no.
You keep saying "tear" but this is unsubstantiated at the moment unless you have seen a professional?
You seem to putting off contacting a professional............

I admit I hate clipped in pedals and shoes (clipless).
I'm not putting off seeing a professional; I've been out of the country for 3 weeks and now in 10 days isolation. As soon as I'm out I will be going to see my doctor. The injury hasn't totally immobilised me. It's well strapped up, and as long as I don't plant my heel flat and lean forward it doesn't give me any grief (apart from a dull ache).

I'm pretty sure I have torn something due to the fact I had post injury haematoma around my heel, despite no impact on the site of the damage, but we'll see. Day 3 of quarantine...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd ask for a remote consultation while still abroad or in isolation.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2021, 1:58pm I'd ask for a remote consultation while still abroad or in isolation.

Jonathan
You can definitely start the ball rolling.
If your GP registered you can use one of the apps which is also connected to the NHS.
Then and maybe even without you can do an Econ, you might not even need to use the app to do this anyway or registered to use an app.
I have used this a few times it's a little bit clunky and you find yourself having to go back and forwards trying to get down the right channels but it might be worth doing while you're not moving around too much at home.
Good luck.
A haematoma does indicate something has happened.

https://econsult.net/primary-care

I think you need to be GP registered and you need a code from them to get a econ, Short for Econsult.
I seem to remember that you can submit photos too.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I was thinking of a remote consultation with your own GP (and whatever technology they use) and/or an NHS physiotherapist. And I'd start with an email.

Jonathan
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Thanks for the replies all.

My medical situation is not altogether simple as I am not registered directly with the NHS (separate medical service through my job). My own medical centre are currently operating remotely due to renovations being carried out, and with the COVID restrictions (and website upgrades/downtime) it is very difficult to get a consultation for anything but an emergency situations.

I'm due out of quarantine next week, and in the mean time I'm just persevering with RICE and immobilisation as best I can.

:)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2021, 2:31pm I was thinking of a remote consultation with your own GP (and whatever technology they use) and/or an NHS physiotherapist. And I'd start with an email.

Jonathan
I started by phoning my GP reception, they then said there are no more gp telcons today.
That's when it was suggested that I do and Econ.
Got the ball rolling, the instructions or information on the Econ says that your GP will contact you within 24 hours, that is a Telcon with your GP.
Whether this is an NHS regulated thing or not that's with the timescale I'm not sure?
Of course every GP surgery is different.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Hello chrisp100 ,
In june last year i damaged /tore my achilles tendon when i slipped trying to kick a football . I phoned the doctors a week or so later after i noticed it was not getting any better and he organised an online consultation with a physio .

I did notice it did not bother me too much whilst cycling but was mild agony when i had to put my foot down ( on my toes ) at traffic light etc .
I was sent a video exercise plan to follow for 6 months :o . This plan finished in December and now i am back to almost normal .
I still have the videos of the plan somewhere in the bowels of my computer and if you wish i will send them to you via e mail .

Regards....John