Riding with a colostomy bag

ciclisto

Re: Cycling with a stoma (colostomy)

Post by ciclisto »

I am at present convalescing at home having gone through bowel operartions in December and currently have an ileostomy which will be changed to a colostomy in 6-12 months time when I am strong enough to face another Op.
At present I am suffering all the ups and downs both physically and mentally but I am very reassured by the correspondence that hopefully I will be able to return to cycling having built up to be able to cycle up to 50 miles in leisurely day rides with my local CTC. My GP has said cycyling may be 9 months away yet, any experience?
It is very nice to know there are so many others in the same boat out there, as I am sure we all thing we are the only one!
Best Regards.
tinker

Post by tinker »

This might not be as helpful as you'd like, but how long it takes really depends, on how fit you were before, how serious the illness and surgery, and your own state of mind.
9 months sounds like a long time though, once your wounds have healed and you are up and mobile there's nothing stopping you going for a few short rides to find out how you feel. I think I was going for reasonable rides within about three months of the ileostomy.
We did an Underwear & Swimwear show last year and I remember one of the models was a keen cyclist, might be interested to see him here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqMWO_33rys
bevblade

Post by bevblade »

I had an ileostomy in December 2008, so I've just passed my 3rd anniversary. The post by Ilans is right, ileostomies are I guess more difficult to manage because of the constituency. I have had problems but not usually and leakages are now rare.

I started cycling about 4 months after surgery. I bought a Moulton Pashley TSR as I thought the suspension would help my still tender perineum; what a great bike, it glides over all but the roughest terrain.

I do still sometimes suffer from saddle sore syndrome and have seriously considered a recumbent trike, but the cost is a serious constraint. I'm now on the verge of retirement, have been to see D Tek in Ely so am still considering a recumbent as I'd like to spent much of my retirement cycling. I suffer if I spend more than about five hours in the saddle on an upright, even a Moulton with a softer gell saddle.

In my experience, the stoma should have little effect on cycling. The radio therapy will leave your perineum tender, maybe irreversibly but that can be managed in various ways. I can still feel tired which could be the long term effects of the chemo, or my age!

Good luck for the future and get cycling again. I never liked lycra anyway and don't have problems with any normal casual wear. All I need is some extra cash for that recumbent :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Anyone considered moving to a 'bent - the body position is somewhat more stable and open, so should be easier to deal with?
Just a thought (as a 'bent rider anyway)

I'd have thought that it might be easier to deal with earlier in recovery - but I have no experience in this field :)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cmboyd

Riding with a colostomy bag

Post by cmboyd »

Hi, I'm 58 year old male and I've recently been diagnosed with a large tumour in my colon. This has got to be removed and will mean that I have use a colostomy bag. I am very reluctant to give up riding once recovered from surgery and wondered if any one has any experience of this that may help me?
rjb

Re: Riding with a colostomy bag

Post by rjb »

If you put colostomy into the search facility at the top right it comes up with several matches. Some but not all of these should give you some advice. You just need to sort the useful ones. :wink: hope you find it helps, good luck.

Click on the link below.

search.php?keywords=Colostomy&terms=all ... mit=Search
Last edited by rjb on 25 Apr 2021, 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Re: Riding with a colostomy bag

Post by Jdsk »

There's a previous discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42892

I suggest contacting the unit's stoma therapist now.

I hope it all goes well and you're out there cycling again as soon as possible.

Jonathan