Broken / Plated Tibia

eileithyia

Broken / Plated Tibia

Post by eileithyia »

Anybody any experience, tips or anecdotes for returning to cycling.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Jdsk

Re: Broken / Plated Tibia

Post by Jdsk »

Have you already got your physiotherapy plan and access to advice?

If not, and until you have... basic principles are to stay mobile, build back strength, and not to "push through pain".

But there are a lot of mechanical tweaks available for bikes... do you think that you might need any?

Jonathan
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

No plan yet, still non weight bearing hopefully review on Friday sees me moving on to the next phase, but just wanted some ideas of what the way forward maybe, I understand from Dr. Google it is probably a walking boot for a couple of weeks to help rebuild some strength. Am guessing will start riding on the turbo initially with flat pedals rather than the subjecting the leg to the torque of unclipping. Am a little concerned regarding the still numb and swelling foot but hoping that will resolve with time and increased activity.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

eileithyia wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 7:01pm No plan yet, still non weight bearing hopefully review on Friday sees me moving on to the next phase, but just wanted some ideas of what the way forward maybe, I understand from Dr. Google it is probably a walking boot for a couple of weeks to help rebuild some strength. Am guessing will start riding on the turbo initially with flat pedals rather than the subjecting the leg to the torque of unclipping. Am a little concerned regarding the still numb and swelling foot but hoping that will resolve with time and increased activity.
I haven't had a broken tibia, but as you've suggested above, I've found with broken bones that taking an appropriate, "restrained" active approach worked out fairly well. And using your own judgement is fairly critical!

I suspect some in the medical profession may not be aware of issues relating to spd "torque" on unclipping, or the benefits of using a turbo with flat pedals. But like you, on breaking bones in the past twenty months, I've opted for activities such as "spinning" on an exercise bike, with no resistence and flat trainers. And when I felt it appropriate, increased resistence and pressure over time.

Hope it's not too painful!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

gbnz wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 7:36pm
eileithyia wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 7:01pm No plan yet, still non weight bearing hopefully review on Friday sees me moving on to the next phase, but just wanted some ideas of what the way forward maybe, I understand from Dr. Google it is probably a walking boot for a couple of weeks to help rebuild some strength. Am guessing will start riding on the turbo initially with flat pedals rather than the subjecting the leg to the torque of unclipping. Am a little concerned regarding the still numb and swelling foot but hoping that will resolve with time and increased activity.
I haven't had a broken tibia, but as you've suggested above, I've found with broken bones that taking an appropriate, "restrained" active approach worked out fairly well. And using your own judgement is fairly critical!

I suspect some in the medical profession may not be aware of issues relating to spd "torque" on unclipping, or the benefits of using a turbo with flat pedals. But like you, on breaking bones in the past twenty months, I've opted for activities such as "spinning" on an exercise bike, with no resistence and flat trainers. And when I felt it appropriate, increased resistence and pressure over time.

Hope it's not too painful!
Thanks, it's not too painful obvs not very good at the start I was glad when the ambulance arrived with the entonox before they moved me... was given a shed load of painkillers on discharge, if they had bothered to look at what I was taking on the ward, I was only on paracetamol and a minimum of codeine... no extra break through stuff.... but they gave me everything anyway....... inc 200 paracetamol!!!!! We were never allowed to send patients home with that amount of stuff. Worst at the moment is the discomfort from the plaster as the day progresses around my foot and ankle, not where they plated it.... must admit as someone who worked with abdominal surgery and used to seeing how a wound is healing / ensuring it is exposed to fresh air... am curious to see what is going under the plaster.... just 2 days to go now.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I had my lower leg opened up some 30 odd years ago for artery repair.
Took a long time to weight bear with the calf not operating correctly.
I still have permanent numbness to day in the foot, it means you have to check tightness of the shoe by inserting finger in both shoes and visual length of the laces.

Good luck.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

40 years ago, almost to the day, at the age of 19, I had a coming together with a car. Dozy so and so wasn't watching. Tibia bust half way up and pushed back. Plated. 4 screws, 2 either side of break. 14 weeks in crutch high plaster plus 2 of knee length and gentle weight bearing. . It was hacked off and I was sent home. End! No after care at all. Good leg was huge, bust one tiny. My arms were bigger than that calf but I had spent the time with my crutches at elbow height to force me to build up some muscles. Good thigh was like Chis Hoy's, bust one like Twiggy's. By Xmas I was running again and in Feb did a week plus of winter mountaineering. 12 months or so after plaster off the plate was removed. Got a nice scar and every so often the shin aches and is a touch sensitive to being whacked by spikey pedals but other than that it is absolutely fine
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Thanks all, yes the current ongoing numbness is an area of concern so already thinking ahead of shoes / tightness etc. Summer might even see me buying some cycling sandals.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I recommend writing questions down before the review... it's surprisingly easy to forget something.

Jonathan
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Update; plaster off, walking boot on, shedding dead skin faster than my niece's snake, referral for nerve conduction test for 'dead' big toe.
Yes you're right forgot to ask about swimming, but after the Registrar's reaction to pedalling a static bike ......... :lol:
For now just got to get used to walking again.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Nerve induction ha ha good luck :mrgreen:

Only that and my latest filling in the tooth made me sweat instantly.

Despite building several electrocution machines at school :lol:

You know what's going to happen next before they flick the switch and push the needles in and wiggle them around, and you know you're not gonna like it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the update.

Have you now got access to a physiotherapist?

Jonathan

PS: That is a nerve conduction test, as you said.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The only current physio is to circle ankles etc, and start walking with the boot.... another review in 4 weeks. With today's weather there is nowhere appealing to walk to....