Ride before breakfast

markjohnobrien

Re: Ride before breakfast

Post by markjohnobrien »

Mike Sales wrote: 3 May 2021, 11:33am Now I think of it, my breakfastless bonk was preceded by a skinful of beer the night before. This might not have helped.
That’s funny: hands up who has never drank lots of beer (or wine or whatever poison you fancy) and cycled to work the next morning with an absolutely vile hangover?

I did this a few times when I worked at a chocolate factory with early morning starts - not good.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

I virtually never have breakfast before a ride, I find up to 70km no problem, even on a hilly ride on my recumbent. I find if I eat I feel sluggish, as my body is trying to propel me and digest food at the same time. Occasionally I will eat a light ‘nibble’ half way round, but that’s more to do with finding a nice view point or riverside etc, so making the moment last really. First time I did it I got about 5 km before I get ‘hungry’ . I wasn’t hungry of course, just my body thought I’d forgotten something before I left the house.
johnk1

Post by johnk1 »

Another idea is to have breakfast before bed and the straight out in the morning, anyone tried this?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This sort of thing is highly personal. Some people can ride all day on very little food, some people can barely do anything in the morning without eating. Most people who do not have medical issues, such as diabetes, fall in between those.

I'm sure that there are circumstances where I could go for a ride in the morning without breakfast, but I'm not sure I'd want to, and if I had not slept well I'd risk the bonk. I'd likely have the hunger knock if I went more than about 10 miles without eating, but a banana would likely be enough to prevent that. For me, small amounts of food often, do more than big meals.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to take food in case one gets the bonk, the knock, sags, or a packet*, there is a risk of suddenly feeling weak, losing control, having an 'accident' and harming others, -1!

* different terms for the same phenomenon, from the appropriately named Cycling Weakly c1973
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

With regards to the OP, why 25 miles? Is that your one way commute? in which case are you riding 50 miles a day commuting? If not Try 5 miles, if ok, try 10 miles, or better still, just go for a ride with a snack, don't overdo it, and stop if you feel you need to eat, and see how far you get, you will be surprised. No big deal, no need to ask for advice really, as the slogan says, 'just do it'.
johnk1

Post by johnk1 »

Good idea yos, I'll try that.