Ride before breakfast

PhilD28

Re: Ride before breakfast

Post by PhilD28 »

Been doing it for years as a part of my fasting regime. Three times a week over 30 miles and don't eat until teatime, it works perfectly. There is quite a lot of science behind it. The key is not to ride hard.

I normally fast teatime to teatime with my ride being about 9.00am untill about 11.00am.
johnk1

Post by johnk1 »

Sounds like it's a bad idea, I won't try it
Thanks everyone
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Don’t be put off.

It’s a good idea on shorter distances and as long as you don’t ride too hard: if you are approaching the “wall” or “bonk” have some bananas, or cereal bars, or flapjack, or whatever, as a reserve, just in case.

I’ve only hit the wall once in 35 years of cycling.

Evidence shows that you can train your body to ride longer fasted, but each person is different.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

PhilD28 wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:51am Been doing it for years as a part of my fasting regime. Three times a week over 30 miles and don't eat until teatime, it works perfectly. There is quite a lot of science behind it. The key is not to ride hard.

I normally fast teatime to teatime with my ride being about 9.00am untill about 11.00am.
Interesting,why have you adopted this ,what seems to me,a fairly extreme regime.In what sense does it work perfectly?Just curious and by no means a criticism.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I never have breakfast before a club run.As we have a Cafe stop midway I have my breakfast then.

Unless working I don't have a breakfast most days anyway.I'm not usually feeling like I need solids until around midday.I do however drink a lot of coffee!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Godzy89 wrote: 3 May 2021, 8:57am He called it a fasting and a fat burning ride
It's excellent for that, though I find it far safer to do it at the gym.

Not least due to my finding seizures prompted by low blood sugar levels. I've even had the NHS Ambulance Service trying to Section me on a ride in the last year (Nb. Think they were annoyed that theyd had to attend me at the gym first thing, then found they were attending me a couple of hours later on the bike - suppose my blood sugar levels must have been pretty low for the ambulance man to exclaim outright :wink:).
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

gbnz wrote: 3 May 2021, 10:36am

Not least due to my finding seizures prompted by low blood sugar levels. I've even had the NHS Ambulance Service trying to Section me on a ride in the last year (Nb. Think they were annoyed that theyd had to attend me at the gym first thing, then found they were attending me a couple of hours later on the bike - suppose my blood sugar levels must have been pretty low for the ambulance man to exclaim outright :wink:).
Eeek - they must have been very angry.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

And during a pandemic as well - no wonder they were upset.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

markjohnobrien wrote: 3 May 2021, 10:37am
gbnz wrote: 3 May 2021, 10:36am

Eeek - they must have been very angry.
Last edited by gbnz on 3 May 2021, 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 3 May 2021, 10:36amI've even had the NHS Ambulance Service trying to Section me on a ride in the last year
gbnz wrote: 3 May 2021, 10:52amThe NHS are legally prevented from treating me mid ride, swim, walk or whatever
As always I'd be interested in any detail that supports these repeated allegations.

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

No way am I doing anything before breakfast, except a quick trip to the loo, maybe! :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

It is an entirely personal thing, and of course the extent of breakfast too.

In my working days I would leap out of bed, down a bowl of cornies and a cup of tea, then easily ride 15 miles to work.

Now retired, many mornings I am on the road about 20 minutes after waking. No breakfast, no cup of tea, take a ride of routinely 15-25 miles and then home for breakfast of cereal and toast. No ill effects, I don't even notice it.

The longest ride I have done without food before or during was about 50 miles. But that was during warm summer months when perhaps metabolism is not so bothered. My reasoning is that it is only 12 hours or so since the evening meal so my body has quite enough to see me through. On the other hand, I know people who will not venture out of the door without at least a dose of caffeine. As I said at the start, entirely personal.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Speaking with the benefit of hindsight, I'd recommend caution when skipping meals. When I started work it was in the middle of a canteen boycott and I got into the habit of not eating at work. Not something I always followed but over a career largely working rotating shifts, I missed a lot of meals and there was little routine in those I did eat. It all caught up with me in retirement.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Now I think of it, my breakfastless bonk was preceded by a skinful of beer the night before. This might not have helped.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

PhilD28 wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:51am Been doing it for years as a part of my fasting regime. Three times a week over 30 miles and don't eat until teatime, it works perfectly. There is quite a lot of science behind it. The key is not to ride hard.

I used this method when I was in my twenties - I lost about two stones - I ate nothing from lunchtime until my evening meal the next day.
It worked quite well, but on trying it in recent years I became nauseous.
I became nauseous again when I had to fast for some hospital tests and wasn't allowed to eat until lunchtime.