Ride before breakfast

johnk1

Ride before breakfast

Post by johnk1 »

Has anyone tried going on a ride of about 25 miles without breakfast beforehand. What were your experiences?
markjohnobrien

Re: Ride before breakfast

Post by markjohnobrien »

Only 12 miles to work. Absolutely fine.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Sorry, I have done rides of 20 miles without food and before breakfast. Fine. No issues.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Used to do that before I developed diabetes. Nowadays I need my carb load first.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Was reading about this in a chapter of a book only last night
He called it a fasting and a fat burning ride and said that its very good for that as the body uses stored fat reserves for energy but to make sure that you refuel properly once you get back home
Please come back and report how you got on
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

One cold morning I went for a ride up Wharfedale. No breakfast, not even a cup of tea.
After perhaps forty miles I ran out of go. On a small rise I was unable to get the pedals round and felt forced to lie down at the side of the road. I was very cold and weak.
My companion just stood and looked. I dragged my jacket out of my bag and wrapped it round me because putting it on was too much effort.
Eventually I managed to get up and thumbed a lift the couple of miles to a caff. They fed me on credit until my friend arrived pushing the two bikes.
I rode the fifteen miles home with no trouble.
Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

johnk1 wrote: 3 May 2021, 8:04am Has anyone tried going on a ride of about 25 miles without breakfast beforehand. What were your experiences?
I do ~20 most mornings before breakfast. No issues.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to take some food and drink with you, justin case
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

markjohnobrien wrote: 3 May 2021, 8:40am Sorry, I have done rides of 20 miles without food and before breakfast. Fine. No issues.
For clarity: fine on the ride but did need to eat well when got back in.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Mike Sales wrote: 3 May 2021, 8:58am One cold morning I went for a ride up Wharfedale. No breakfast, not even a cup of tea.
After perhaps forty miles I ran out of go. On a small rise I was unable to get the pedals round and felt forced to lie down at the side of the road. I was very cold and weak.
My companion just stood and looked. I dragged my jacket out of my bag and wrapped it round me because putting it on was too much effort.
Eventually I managed to get up and thumbed a lift the couple of miles to a caff. They fed me on credit until my friend arrived pushing the two bikes.
I rode the fifteen miles home with no trouble.
Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers.
Looks like you “bonked” on that ride and ran out of glycogen stores. Not nice and thankfully you were helped by people.

20 miles is my limit without food. 40 miles I’d have some bananas with me.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

markjohnobrien wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:11am

Looks like you “bonked” on that ride and ran out of glycogen stores. Not nice and thankfully you were helped by people.

This is when I found out what was meant by bonking.
My useless friend is a biochemist who was able to explain the physiological mechanism.

I bonked years later on a Wild Wales Challenge. I was eating, but I guess not enough for the output.
It took more miles and hills but I again finished lying on the tarmac.
Another kind stranger gave me an energy bar and I even finished with a feeble sprint.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Mike Sales wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:20am
markjohnobrien wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:11am

This is when I found out what was meant by bonking.
My useless friend is a biochemist who was able to explain the physiological mechanism.

I bonked years later on a Wild Wales Challenge. I was eating, but I guess not enough for the output.
It took more miles and hills but I again finished lying on the tarmac.
Another kind stranger gave me an energy bar and I even finished with a feeble sprint.
It happened to me once, many years ago, and it felt like a vampire has drained all of the blood from your body - I felt awful and no energy - and rides over a certain distance I learnt to carry bananas.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

markjohnobrien wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:38am It happened to me once, many years ago, and it felt like a vampire has drained all of the blood from your body - I felt awful and no energy - and rides over a certain distance I learnt to carry bananas.
A good description.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The advice must be, eat breakfast first!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Mike Sales wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:41am
markjohnobrien wrote: 3 May 2021, 9:38am It happened to me once, many years ago, and it felt like a vampire has drained all of the blood from your body - I felt awful and no energy - and rides over a certain distance I learnt to carry bananas.
A good description.
Thanks.