Who ate all the pies

ElaineB

Re: Who ate all the pies

Post by ElaineB »

Just dieting, doesn’t work.
It has to be a lifestyle change now, according to all the latest science.
I do think extending the times between eating does help, they say 13-14 hours overnight.
Eat less, less often and keep peddling and it should fall off you.
Only do the HIT full on stuff if you have checked first with your GP.
Long slowish rides can help to burn fat, it doesn’t have to be like the pro’s do.
Find what works for you and just stick with it, the slower you lose it, the better.
Having something to aim for, like a beach holiday can work for some people!
Personally, I would think of your health and how much better you both will feel and how much safer you could be.
Being overweight in our Covid world is not considered safe, losing weight could be a life saver.
That would be enough for me to really be serious about shedding even a few pounds.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ElaineB wrote: 16 May 2021, 1:03pm .....
Being overweight in our Covid world is not considered safe, losing weight could be a life saver.
That would be enough for me to really be serious about shedding even a few pounds.
Although research has shown that being underweight in our Covid world is also not good. Lots of publicity about obesity and Covid but not so well publicised
https://theconversation.com/covid-19-is-obesity-really-more-of-a-risk-factor-for-men-than-women-160567 wrote:A second large British study helped fill this gap, using data from almost 7 million adults. Rather than comparing people with obesity to people without obesity, it looked at the full spectrum of weight, again using BMI. It found that the lowest risk was in those with a BMI of 23 – above that, every additional increase of one BMI unit led to an approximately 4% increase in risk of dying from COVID-19. Having a BMI lower than 23 also raised this risk.
(My bold and colour)

(from https://theconversation.com/severe-covi ... udy-159072)

Also there seem to be age effects in relation to weight
https://theconversation.com/severe-covid-in-young-people-can-mostly-be-explained-by-obesity-new-study-159072 wrote:Notably, the effect of excess weight on the risk of severe COVID was greatest in young people aged 20 to 39 years of age, and decreased after age 60. Excess weight had very little effect on the risk of severe COVID in people aged over 80 years.
And gender effects ...

That is not to say that being a healthy weight is not a good idea, just some interesting reports delving a bit deeper into the Covid risks in relation to weight.

Ian
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

ANTONISH wrote: 16 May 2021, 9:09am
jo' bo wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:29pm

Forget the weight, concentrate on getting fit, there are over weight fit people, but not many and who cares if your super fit

Hiit works wonders at fitness and fatness, wiz your peddles up to 200 rpm, and keep it there ,5 mins of that you can come home for extra portions
Are you sure you can pedal effectively at 200rpm ?
Presumably you are doing this on rollers?
No on the road,

No I'm convinced it's not slightly an efficient way of peddling, it is an effective high intensity interval training exercise , which I do on my way to the shops and has the added benifit of when I stop a cadence of 120 seems very easy to maintain

It also seems to be that there is a common view that I look silly, but not caring !
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

ElaineB wrote: 16 May 2021, 1:03pm Just dieting, doesn’t work.
It has to be a lifestyle change now, according to all the latest science.
I do think extending the times between eating does help, they say 13-14 hours overnight.
Eat less, less often and keep peddling and it should fall off you.
Only do the HIT full on stuff if you have checked first with your GP.
Long slowish rides can help to burn fat, it doesn’t have to be like the pro’s do.
Find what works for you and just stick with it, the slower you lose it, the better.
Having something to aim for, like a beach holiday can work for some people!
Personally, I would think of your health and how much better you both will feel and how much safer you could be.
Chonic insomnia here I sleep 4-6 hours a night.

Had Covid in this house pre lockdown with partner low oxygen and high temperature and not overly worried.

Gradually extending our rides and speed :D
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

Oh sorry to hear that.
I had it last February (2020) and when I went for a ride it knocked me for six.
It seems to be a slow recovery for some but hopefully you will get there.
Do what you can but don’t overdo it, your health is more important.
Hopefully you have a decent GP, once you get to see him or her, it seems to be the same everywhere at the moment.
Good times are ahead, once the summer arrives, I’m sure we will have more energy then.
If you still feel unwell don’t think about dieting at the moment.
All the best to you and your family.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

ElaineB wrote: 16 May 2021, 4:20pm Oh sorry to hear that.
I had it last February (2020) and when I went for a ride it knocked me for six.
It seems to be a slow recovery for some but hopefully you will get there.
Do what you can but don’t overdo it, your health is more important.
Hopefully you have a decent GP, once you get to see him or her, it seems to be the same everywhere at the moment.
Good times are ahead, once the summer arrives, I’m sure we will have more energy then.
If you still feel unwell don’t think about dieting at the moment.
All the best to you and your family.
Been flying along today with stoker son, Police doing bike registration locally so we got the tandem registered for free at local Town.

As far as we are aware new year 2020 partner bad, as neighbours came back from Northern Italy, brother caught it at funeral days before lockdown.

Looking forward to a long hot but not too summer.

When we can get sense out of doctors, I will ask about insomnia as at it's worst simply don't sleep or couple of hours at best.
Tried all the usual tricks like self hypnosis etc.
:)
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Blended peas. :)

The only way I ever lost weight (when I was bothering to try to lol) was by replacing 1.5 or 2 meals each day, with a lot of blended peas.

An 800g bag of peas blended up into a drink has 712 calories, which sounds like a lot (and it is about 2 pints) but I can last out on that for around 6-8 hours.

I realized after years that it's not about cutting down on calories, as much as the biological value of what you're eating. In other words the nutritional value of the food. You could eat a Big Mac and it would be 600 calories or whatever, but it's junk food, where the end benefit from those 600 calories is nowhere near as effective as 600 calories of green veg like peas or green beans. Eating the Big Mac you'd be hungry again in a few hours, but drinking 2 pints of blended peas (split into 2 pints over 6-8 hours) you're getting far more bang for buck out of it.

Diets typically focus on cutting down calories but I'd argue that's not even half of what it's about. Some diets like Weight Watchers complicate it all by converting it into "points" and so on, just a gimmick so it looks like they have some sort of edge over other diets. I wonder how many diets actually point out anything about biological value, as opposed to just throwing a meal plan at you.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

One thing of note is that when I'm riding the bike, I'm not snacking! With the restrictions during the last year I've ridden up to 75miles without a Cafe stop (I would normally stop for a snack), but have still put on some weight. Time indoors during Winter :oops:
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

That is how I lost weight over Christmas.
I would do a ride with a small flask of coffee, stop briefly and ride home.
The lockdown really helped, it forced me to keep riding and not to stop for a snack.
It’s all in the snacking, it seems!
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Less in
More output.
Be honest with yourself about how much you really take in.
The portion sizes in the UK seem huge compared to those on the continent. Takeaways especially.Fish and chips with enough chips to feed three or four adults and a piece of Cod over 30cm long for instance.
A friend of mine considers a large Mcdonalds meal a 'slotter' which apparently means snack between meals :| Then he will say he eats healthily!
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 17 May 2021, 3:53pm Be honest with yourself about how much you really take in.
I believe this ‘hits the nail on head’ for most people.
Many people think they know about calories and can estimate the calorie count in meals but I suspect 99.9%, myself included, underestimate. The food industry have a lot to answer for with their labelling and traffic lights for a ‘portion.’ Put any breakfast cereal in a bowl then weigh it and compare to the portion size on the box. The only weigh to accurately tot up calories is to weigh and record EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. Thankfully, there are several apps to assist with this tedious task. I use MyFitnessPal and I think it is brilliant and very easy to use.
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

I eat alot of very good food (wife does food writing and web things), it's not unusual for a weeknight dinner to be two courses. I eat a cooked breakfast every day, because I don't know whether I will have the chance to eat lunch as sometimes I am too busy. Occasionally I do physical labour all day, sometimes I spend a day on my butt writing code. Beer is my friend.

Buuut I commute 50km a day, through bad weather and almost all of the winter too. The food I eat is also "real" and home cooked (never processed). I also have a four year old.

I used to be super fit (ran a 5km at 17:20), now, not so much. Still perfectly healthy and pretty fit as well.

Embrace your dad bod guy.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Made paella of sorts today, small portions and lots or vegetables and seasoning except salt.
Son enjoyed it as well, left rest of household to get on with it.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Less in
More output.

Exactly it!

I got back to cycling more (usually 3 rides a week 100 to 180 miles total) from last summer, lost 5kg and probably eating more than last year.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

26 miles an tried a cycle route out on tandem, took plenty of water & stopped for a coffee.
Seeing as best prior is 12 miles regularly- quite pleased with myself