Who ate all the pies

ClappedOut

Who ate all the pies

Post by ClappedOut »

As a teen and adult could eat anything and never put on weight, at one point I lost weight eating all manner of foods
Trying to lose weight I have cut any cake, sweets etc out.
I have breakfast and an evening meal as lunch makes me sleepy.
Work is on my feet 8-10 hours a day and 8000-10000 steps.

We have a single parent friend who takes it in turns to cook various home made dishes so it alternates who is cooking what.

The is the issue that huge portions keep appearing and I have halved or more than halved the portion as it’s ridiculous.

I’m riding more, walking more and stubbornly it’s not having the effect I had hoped, I do drink a lot of coffee and tea and a couple of beers at most a week as zoom or Skype meetings not same as the pub.

I also am concerned about my partners weight and how to tackle it tactfully as she likes all manner of biscuits etc I don’t touch

:lol: waiting for the encouragement
rotavator

Re: Who ate all the pies

Post by rotavator »

My top tip for controlling weight is to eat:
1. as much as you fancy for breakfast (porridge in my case)
2. a modest lunch
3. very little after work, in the evening

I get the impression that many people do the opposite i.e. they have little or no breakfast and a big meal in the evening may be with alcohol, and snacks in between meals and while loafing in front of a screen in the evening with result that being overweight or obese is the new norm (IMHO I have no statistics or links to articles to back this up).

I watched a film recently about relaying the tracks at St Pancras station in 1946 and I was struck by how skinny all the workers were, presumably as a result of rationing. It really struck home to me how accustomed we are to seeing big people.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

ClappedOut wrote: 15 May 2021, 8:49pm As a teen and adult could eat anything and never put on weight, at one point I lost weight eating all manner of foods
Trying to lose weight I have cut any cake, sweets etc out.
I have breakfast and an evening meal as lunch makes me sleepy.
Work is on my feet 8-10 hours a day and 8000-10000 steps.

We have a single parent friend who takes it in turns to cook various home made dishes so it alternates who is cooking what.

The is the issue that huge portions keep appearing and I have halved or more than halved the portion as it’s ridiculous.

I’m riding more, walking more and stubbornly it’s not having the effect I had hoped, I do drink a lot of coffee and tea and a couple of beers at most a week as zoom or Skype meetings not same as the pub.

I also am concerned about my partners weight and how to tackle it tactfully as she likes all manner of biscuits etc I don’t touch

:lol: waiting for the encouragement
Forget the weight, concentrate on getting fit, there are over weight fit people, but not many and who cares if your super fit

Hiit works wonders at fitness and fatness, wiz your peddles up to 200 rpm, and keep it there ,5 mins of that you can come home for extra portions
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

I'm wondering on metabolism as we age?
I don't like cereals as I feel rough by noon so it's usually two slices of toast and a banana or a scraping of marmite or occasionally scraping jam which I'm not keen on.

Lunch a sandwich if I can be bothered.

Dinner I hate eating after 7pm, like veg and fruit- not keen on fried food much as makes me bad in volume.

Can't remember last time I watched TV and certainly not on a couch for hours- a film once a week maybe

snacks -None simply don't buy it as if not in cupboard can't eat it and sugar in volume makes me feel rough

beers 2 bottles on a wednesday evening virtual "pub" night

drink lots of coffee and tea with milk no sugar

Years ago told I had a wheat intolerance and think I have grown out of it.

just wondering what I can do that is sustainable.

Currently cutting the evening meal in half and putting it in the fridge or freezer as I don't want or need the size I'm being given.

think my partners issues are feeling lost with world situation and comfort eating.

will be a long term goal
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

ClappedOut wrote: 15 May 2021, 11:19pm I'm wondering on metabolism as we age?
I don't like cereals as I feel rough by noon so it's usually two slices of toast and a banana or a scraping of marmite or occasionally scraping jam which I'm not keen on.

Lunch a sandwich if I can be bothered.

Dinner I hate eating after 7pm, like veg and fruit- not keen on fried food much as makes me bad in volume.

Can't remember last time I watched TV and certainly not on a couch for hours- a film once a week maybe

snacks -None simply don't buy it as if not in cupboard can't eat it and sugar in volume makes me feel rough

beers 2 bottles on a wednesday evening virtual "pub" night

drink lots of coffee and tea with milk no sugar

Years ago told I had a wheat intolerance and think I have grown out of it.

just wondering what I can do that is sustainable.

Currently cutting the evening meal in half and putting it in the fridge or freezer as I don't want or need the size I'm being given.

think my partners issues are feeling lost with world situation and comfort eating.

will be a long term goal
.your metabolism works much the same as you age, burn more calories than you consume and youl loose weight

The weight is falling off me at the moment, which is annoying and inconvenient , as I dont want to loose weight or buy new pants.

I attempt to burn 5 hours of energy in 1 hour by badly misusing the gears,, I aparently look funny doing 5 miles an hour at 130 rpm, but not as funny as going up hills in top, but hey ! who has got all day to train

I'm eating vast amounts of chips and pasta and ice cream and milk shakes to put it back on Again
Last edited by jo' bo on 16 May 2021, 12:30am, edited 2 times in total.
PH

Post by PH »

I'd recommend a diabetes prevention course, there's several providers, all free to participate and funded by the NHS. I completed the one linked below last year, I had a GP's referral, though I think you can now self refer though some discussion with your GP might still be a good thing. I started the course when there were physical meeting, then they were suspended in the first lock down and came back as online which were still useful but not as good.
We all know what we should and shouldn't be doing, but a better understanding of why that is and what triggers poor behaviour I found useful. Don't mistake fitness and health, although they're related they're not the same thing, if you're overweight you could be healthier however fit you think you are. I'm sure the opposite is also true, thin and unhealthy, but it isn't a problem I've ever had :wink:
https://xylahealthandwellbeing.com/our- ... revention/
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

PH wrote: 16 May 2021, 12:23am I'd recommend a diabetes prevention course, there's several providers, all free to participate and funded by the NHS. I completed the one linked below last year, I had a GP's referral, though I think you can now self refer though some discussion with your GP might still be a good thing. I started the course when there were physical meeting, then they were suspended in the first lock down and came back as online which were still useful but not as good.
We all know what we should and shouldn't be doing, but a better understanding of why that is and what triggers poor behaviour I found useful. Don't mistake fitness and health, although they're related they're not the same thing, if you're overweight you could be healthier however fit you think you are. I'm sure the opposite is also true, thin and unhealthy, but it isn't a problem I've ever had :wink:
https://xylahealthandwellbeing.com/our- ... revention/
At the moment our doctors are phone and get ignored at 8:30am and snide remarks to the point our daughter 13 ended up in A&E in the last week. Covid is a poor excuse for refusing to answer the phone.

I have broched the subject with my partner and we are going to investigate some different options, I like fish and chicken salads etc and she has agreed her biscuits habit is out. :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Rotavator is right I think, there is a saying:
Breakfast like a king
Lunch like a farmer
Supper like a beggar
I am retired, I find myself having a substantial breakfast, porridge + sandwiches, main meal 14oo-15oo maybe, and often nothing in the evening, might go cycling late to get tired so that I sleep like a baby

There is talk of diets where one does not eat for 16 hours a day, might seem a lot but I often manage that
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

I lost weight over Christmas, who looses weight then! I think the way to go is small portions + I cut out carbs and sugar, only having half a banana on my tablespoon of muesli, with a few blueberries. In the evening fish and a salad.
It’s a great time to lose weight now as every meal can be a salad! Just don’t snack.
We tend to forget as we get older that we don’t need the same amount of calories as when we were younger. I also kept cycling each day but not great distances.
Your GP may do a blood test for your thyroid, as that can be a cause if your thyroxine production is low.
I feel so much better for losing some weight, some is better than none and it keeps you motivated.
The hardest thing about losing weight, is not putting it back on again!
Keep going, it’s well worth it.
Good luck.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

jo' bo wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:29pm

Forget the weight, concentrate on getting fit, there are over weight fit people, but not many and who cares if your super fit

Hiit works wonders at fitness and fatness, wiz your peddles up to 200 rpm, and keep it there ,5 mins of that you can come home for extra portions
Are you sure you can pedal effectively at 200rpm ?
Presumably you are doing this on rollers?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... I also am concerned about my partners weight and how to tackle it tactfully ...
I jumped to the conclusion this was the main bit.
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

My friend bought herself a new pair of cropped jeans in a size 12, she is now a size 14!
Women like nothing more than dieting to ‘fit in to something new’.
It may sound daft but it’s a motivational tool, it’s something nice to aim for.
Try it, you never know, it may work!
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Thank you for your replies, I have been thinking about breakfasts and the main thing I don't like is the cereals and granola etc is the sugar.

I did wonder if porridge made with water and small amount of milk with a pinch of mixed spice would be an interesting palitatable option?

I'm stuck on quite a lot of prescription opioids for stomach and joint issues, though I have been reducing the level as much as I can to 1/3 - 1/2 of prescription

Partner wise I think it's comfort eating and exercise.

There is a newish cycle path I plan to explore with my son, I think its a 20 mile round trip.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am glad I did not become a professional racing cyclist, I read how the nutrition scientists now decide exactly what the athletes should eat, and how much, and when

Scientist: you must eat 500g of spaghetti today, 100g asparagus, two onions, no cheese, three softboiled eggs 3.75 litres of water, no tea &c
Cyclist: but I am dying for Yorkshire Pudding like my granny used to make. And rhubarb for afters!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pq

Post by pq »

A friend of mine who was morbidly obese set off from Kent on a bike, the first time he'd ridden since he was a child. 18 months later he arrived in Australia having lost around 60% of his body weight. That's unlikely ever to be a practical proposition for you but I have sometimes lost drastic amounts of weight (and I'm slim to start with) touring in places where eating is difficult. I rode in Pakistan when I was race fit with almost no body fat and lost more than a stone. More recently I rode in Tajikistan and lost even more. Obviously neither of those things are possible right now, but when they become possible, I'd sooner do that than more conventional approaches to weight loss.

Bit of a mad suggestion I know but perhaps it might give you an idea and maybe you'd have fun along the way.
One link to your website is enough. G