Stomach upset

sb1234

Stomach upset

Post by sb1234 »

Hey guys! I’m currently cycling LEJOG, riding about 65/70 miles per day for 14 days. However two nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night to be sick along with having the runs. The next day I felt the same with a fever and had to stop early in a hotel. I’ve taken another rest day today as I’m still feeling a little nausea and feverish. I feel that my body wasn’t able to process the pub food I ate that night and I’ve given myself some sort of stomach bug/fever. I’m worried if I push myself too hard I’ll make myself worse and I can’t continue with the trip. Does anyone have any medication / diet advise that will help me continue? I’ve been drinking lots of water but I’m still not eating much. It’s hard to continue cycling the distance feeling like this :(
millimole

Re: Stomach upset

Post by millimole »

Plain water may not be the best - get yourself some Dioralyte or similar, at least speak to a pharmacist.
You almost certainly need to rest up - possibly only for a day, consider hunkering down in a Travelodge or Premier Inn. A family B&B may not appreciate a sick visitor in the current climate.
You may try ringing 111 for advice, but they might just tell you to go to the local pharmacy anyway.
Good luck with your trip, and I hope you start feeling better soon.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NHS Advice: "Diarrhoea and vomiting"
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diarrhoea-and-vomiting/

Jonathan
sb1234

Post by sb1234 »

Thanks guys. The NHS advice is good. Just hard to get the right amount of rest in time, especially with the distance we've still got to cover. I feel pretty gutted I’ve not been able to make it the full way :(